Why you don't ride in a travel trailer.

Why you don't ride in a travel trailer.

Postby AstroWill [OP] » September 22nd 2019, 6:16am

Poof, just like that.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: Why you don't ride in a travel trailer.

Postby Big_kid » September 22nd 2019, 1:02pm

I wonder if the driver tried to stop a fishtail with the brake pedal, or maybe a mechanical failure locked a trailer wheel? That seemed to come out of nowhere.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby markmitch » September 22nd 2019, 1:10pm

Ok so I guess I can remove that from my bucket list lol wow!
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Mmusicman » September 22nd 2019, 2:48pm

Brutal! All in a split-second! Everything was going so smoothly too.
This is why I don't let my wife drive when I'm pulling a trailer.
Any typical novice "knee-jerk" reaction can lead to this.
There may have been other factors at work here too.. who knows.
Luckily looks like no-one was hurt... (including the towing vehicle)
Amazingly, driver gets to drive away from this one.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Leeann_93 » September 22nd 2019, 3:11pm

Yikes. Improper trailer setup plus yanking on the wheel - once to start the sway and a second time to overcorrect.

Looked to me like they started to merge into the right lane and realized someone was there, and yanked the wheel to go back into the left lane, then stupidly yanked it right to correct the yank to the left....

Clearly didn't have antisway bars installed and also clearly didn't understand how to drive when towing.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Huckleberry » September 22nd 2019, 5:24pm

More like why you should have at least eight lug
nuts per wheel when towing something that big.
You don't tow a truckload with a car.
Huckleberry
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Huckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » September 22nd 2019, 7:47pm

Most likely they didn't have enough weight on the tongue in combination with her reaction to realizing that there was a car on the right.

Mmusicman wrote:Brutal! All in a split-second!

That is what amazed me, just boom and it was completely leveled.
Mmusicman wrote:Luckily looks like no-one was hurt... (including the towing vehicle)
Amazingly, driver gets to drive away from this one.

x2
I bet there is some damage to the rear of the vehicle but definitely looks like they will be able to drive away from that one.

Leeann_93 wrote:Yikes. Improper trailer setup plus yanking on the wheel - once to start the sway and a second time to overcorrect.

Looked to me like they started to merge into the right lane and realized someone was there, and yanked the wheel to go back into the left lane, then stupidly yanked it right to correct the yank to the left....

That is exactly how it looked to me as well. It's amazing how just a little bit of weight bias makes all the difference.

Huckleberry wrote:More like why you should have at least eight lug nuts per wheel when towing something that big.

Number of lug nuts is completely irrelevant. As long as you have the proper setup using the required equipment then it works well. When you overload, don't load the trailer properly, don't have a braking setup, not using weight distribution system, etc THEN you run into problems.

I personally think that there should be extra training required, a stamp on your license just like a motorcycle. I feel the same way about RVs that are as larger/larger than buses.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby M_a_t_t » September 22nd 2019, 9:38pm

Huckleberry wrote:More like why you should have at least eight lug
nuts per wheel when towing something that big.
You don't tow a truckload with a car.

NoSxjeep has 8 lugs on his astro van. Capable? Or is there something else that lugs refer to (hint: heavy half or bigger truck/van)?

Being better at communication is always a plus.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby icebrrg3rd » September 23rd 2019, 5:54pm

Side note, in certain states it is legal to ride in a fifth wheel travel trailer...

And in some you can tow a fifth wheel PLUS another trailer (like a fishing boat)...Crazy.

And I agree about improper loading & training. On our way home from camping this summer we were in a construction zone going thru Chicago, and the lanes were uneven heights (one lane had new asphalt laid). As my wife changed lanes, one trailer wheel hung up on the edge just long enough to cause the trailer to start fishtailing. The properly loaded trailer plus my calm wife and the trailer swayed maybe 2 times before it tracked straight again. Plus side the IL drivers backed off, if only for a few seconds.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Huckleberry » September 23rd 2019, 8:04pm

M_a_t_t wrote:NoSxjeep has 8 lugs on his astro van. Capable? Or is there something else that lugs refer to (hint: heavy half or bigger truck/van)?

Being better at communication is always a plus.

My post was not ambiguous.
When towing something big enough to need its own brakes,
it's wise to use a vehicle with at least eight lug nuts per wheel.
Eight lugs per wheel means 3/4-ton or bigger.
Anything smaller is unsafe, and bad for the vehicle.
You wanna pull 5000 lbs. around with your
Astro, go right ahead, but I never would.
I have a truck for that.
Huckleberry
Years of Membership: Huckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » September 23rd 2019, 8:43pm

Huckleberry wrote:When towing something big enough to need its own brakes, it's wise to use a vehicle with at least eight lug nuts per wheel.
Eight lugs per wheel means 3/4-ton or bigger.
Anything smaller is unsafe, and bad for the vehicle.

Completely arbitrary statement, my owners manual says that anything over 1,000lbs should have it's own brakes. Lots of people, myself included, can and do safely pull more than 1,000lbs with their Astro/Safari.

Huckleberry wrote:You wanna pull 5000 lbs. around with yourAstro, go right ahead, but I never would. I have a truck for that.

With a proper setup, I don't see a problem doing it with an A/S van or any other vehicle within it's limits. Plenty of dumbass pickup-truck drivers out there that have the same things happen. Evidence for that abounds on youtube.

Do it right, do it safe, or don't do it! For those that want to do it right, educate yourself and use what is required for a safe tow.
Here is a great place to start https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafariinfo/towing and read your owners manual.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director