towing car dolly

towing car dolly

Postby iceberg3303 [OP] » September 6th 2019, 8:42pm

Have 1987 single spring. want to use with car dolly to pick up another astro van. will this combo work? about 450 mile round trip?
Original Poster [OP]
iceberg3303
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: iceberg3303 has been a member for 3 full yearsiceberg3303 has been a member for 3 full yearsiceberg3303 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): bill
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: towing car dolly

Postby Astrofarian » September 7th 2019, 1:22am

You should be ok, provided you have a couple of the temporary spare tires. Some dollies are a tad narrow for an Astro/Safari. U-Haul apparently won't rent you a dolly if an Astro is going onto it. Do some homework....
You'll likely be towing in 2nd gear, stay out of the throttle and be prepared to have the worst fuel economy EVER from your 1987.
Make sure the brakes on your 87 are up to the task!
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby markmitch » September 7th 2019, 3:03am

Been there done that, not that far though, get a aux cooler for your transmission installed in line with the cooler in the radiator, get two of them little donut spare tires from a junk yard to put on the front of the van your towing. After you load the van on the dolly drive a few miles and recheck the straps on the front tires. be careful on corners the van may hit the dolly. I drove in drive but do not tow with OD it will get to hot.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Leeann_93 » September 7th 2019, 3:12pm

Are there any hills on this trip or is it flat? If flat, you're probably fine as long as you take it easy.

I was taught, "tow in drive - keep the tranny alive" - in other words, don't have it in overdrive. Towing that much, the trans will hunt, or go into OD, back to D, back to OD...et cetera. That increases the heat really quickly and heat destroys the trans.

I'll x3 the advice on 2 spare donuts for the front. Several guys had to do that to get their Astros on dollies.

Next question, though: is the Astro you'll be towing AWD? If so, you have to pull the front driveshaft to tow with a dolly. I rented a full Uhaul car trailer to bring my '99 up to motor vehicle headquarters to get it inspected by the state police because I bought it with a salvage title. It fit, but it was danged close - iirc, there was an inch to spare on the outside of each tire. I towed it with my '93 Olds Bravada (4.3, BW4472 transfer case) and we took it really slow. My trip was only 25 miles each way, though. Blew out the right rear shock, which spewed shock oil everywhere, because we hit some unavoidable potholes that were bigger than the tires. Other than that, it did just fine. Replaced those shocks with the Monroe load-levelers and never another problem.

SafariOnTrailer.jpg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Mmusicman » September 7th 2019, 6:14pm

Leeann_93 wrote:Next question, though: is the Astro you'll be towing AWD? If so, you have to pull the front driveshaft to tow with a dolly.

Front? Guess it depends if you are towing forward or backward.
If the rear wheels are turning on the ground, I'd be pulling the rear-shaft.
Easy..4 bolts and it's out. Maybe just tie it up so fluid doesn't come out of tail-shaft.
Stay out of overdrive.. go easy.. allow plenty of following distance.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Leeann_93 » September 7th 2019, 6:30pm

Mmusicman wrote:Front? Guess it depends if you are towing forward or backward.
If the rear wheels are turning on the ground, I'd be pulling the rear-shaft.

I hadn't had my coffee yet - it was still brewing :lol:
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD