More Confortable Front Seats for a 2001 LT

More Confortable Front Seats for a 2001 LT

Postby Bis [OP] » April 27th 2011, 10:49pm

Leg room is limited on these vans making them fairly uncomfortable to drive, but the stock seat (even in good condition) seems pretty uncomfortable to me.
I have been told that the conversion vans have different seats up front, if you happen to know about them or have a set of better seats that will be a drop-in for the 2001 model, please let me know...
My butt appreciates it.

:0)
✔ Recovering 3-Time ex-Aerostar owner since 1996.
✔ RC Hobbyist and Dance music nut.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bis
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Front seatbelts for my 95
    by Roadtrip John » September 27th 2020, 1:49pm in Wanted
    2 Replies
    Last post by Roadtrip John View the latest post
    September 27th 2020, 6:51pm
  • Front brake dust cover
    by statesblue » December 21st 2020, 11:21pm in Wanted
    0 Replies
    Last post by statesblue View the latest post
    December 21st 2020, 11:21pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 6th 2021, 8:56am

Re: More Confortable Front Seats for a 2001 LT

Postby RECox286 » April 28th 2011, 1:43am

Be creative. Go to the JY and find a set of seats that you like. Cobble them into your van. Problem solved, Job done.

I had a set of Audi seats in my Toy FJ 40 Bobtail. Just a matter of making it work. Saw, welder, grinder, drill...

There is nothing that caonnot be done given enough time, money and effort.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Bis [OP] » April 28th 2011, 8:49am

RECox286 wrote:Be creative. Go to the JY and find a set of seats that you like. Cobble them into your van. Problem solved, Job done.

I had a set of Audi seats in my Toy FJ 40 Bobtail. Just a matter of making it work. Saw, welder, grinder, drill...

There is nothing that caonnot be done given enough time, money and effort.

Bob

Its definitely a good way to tackle the problem, that is if you have a saw, welder, grinder, drill, and of course a good amount of time. Unfortunately I don't have either at the moment, that is why I keep looking for an easier fix. Thanks for the inspiration though, RECox.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Bis [OP] » May 23rd 2011, 9:42am

Cool page for those looking for a new custom seat and also a fully powered seat base:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanhi ... kseats.htm

✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 23rd 2011, 11:51am

Oh you done it now bis.What is this I see lower on the page Cupholders for the Cupholder enthusiast.No gimbals Bob but a platform we can work with.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby meetthespeakers » May 23rd 2011, 7:47pm

I know this doesn't help out, but I went with 2005 pt cruiser seats out of the Gt/turbo version to get black leather/suede. They have bolster, arm rest, and passenger seat folds flat. I needed 4" angle grinder, and a welder. Took about 2 hours to do the whole job. Basically pull old seats out, unbolt the seat from the base, then I grinded the rivets out holding stock slider. Then placed new seats and welded the tracks to the stock astro base so they would bolt back in. I'm not really tall, but 6'-2" and you can weld the sliders to be further back to get a little more leg room outta it, especially passenger side. I have now done this to 3 Astro's. I had 2001 Eclipse Black leather seats in my blue astro. Same install deal. I got those for $49 for the set... I wouldn't have tackled something like this a few years ago, but now that I got the tools, Harbor Freight 220 Welder ($140 including 2 year warranty ), 4" angle Grinder ($30) that stuff has already paid for itself after a few projects. Anyway, something to think about.

1998 Astro, 1993 Astro, 1976 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1975 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor
meetthespeakers
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: meetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Bagged

Postby Bis [OP] » May 23rd 2011, 9:54pm

meetthespeakers wrote:I know this doesn't help out, but I went with 2005 pt cruiser seats out of the Gt/turbo version to get black leather/suede. They have bolster, arm rest, and passenger seat folds flat. I needed 4" angle grinder, and a welder. Took about 2 hours to do the whole job. Basically pull old seats out, unbolt the seat from the base, then I grinded the rivets out holding stock slider. Then placed new seats and welded the tracks to the stock astro base so they would bolt back in. I'm not really tall, but 6'-2" and you can weld the sliders to be further back to get a little more leg room outta it, especially passenger side. I have now done this to 3 Astro's. I had 2001 Eclipse Black leather seats in my blue astro. Same install deal. I got those for $49 for the set... I wouldn't have tackled something like this a few years ago, but now that I got the tools, Harbor Freight 220 Welder ($140 including 2 year warranty ), 4" angle Grinder ($30) that stuff has already paid for itself after a few projects. Anyway, something to think about.

[ https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_jeo6cGUDo1A/Tb6ibcemiGI/AAAAAAAABkA/5RDMaySBexc/s640/IMG_1350.jpg ]

That's beautiful man. I would love to find some time to do it. If I bought a welder I would use it once, that's it. lol
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby Bis [OP] » May 23rd 2011, 9:55pm

chevymaher wrote:

Oh you done it now bis.What is this I see lower on the page Cupholders for the Cupholder enthusiast.No gimbals Bob but a platform we can work with.

I know right? The variety of stuff they have is AWESOME!!!
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby WoodButcher » May 23rd 2011, 10:20pm

Like many others I find a seat I like and make them work. This past weekend I put in seats from a Suboobaroo! I don't go a week w/o using my welder. For what you would pay for good seats you can buy a decent setup. My little welder is a Hobart 125 I paid less than $400 for and it can do gas if you buy the kit.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby meetthespeakers » May 23rd 2011, 10:33pm

I see you are in Delaware, I just moved to Annapolis, MD last Friday. I also just sold my last Mini project to a guy in Wilmington. As far as the welder, I here you. I just got into it about 5 years ago, and I am now trying to start my own side business doing Chevy Sprint/ 3 cylinder turbo conversions on old Mini's. I am about 4-5 weeks out, and I am getting ready to order up a plasma cutter/tig/arc welder combo. I wish I was good at body work, then I would have all my bases covered. But I just don't have the patience for it. Good luck on your quest for seats, a better option would be maybe to look for the stock seats out of the upgraded Astro. I scored a set a few years ago, but they may be as rare as hens teeth now.

I believe these are LT seats:

Here is my old Eclipse Seats and Expedition console, but they didn't have armrests....
1998 Astro, 1993 Astro, 1976 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1975 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor
meetthespeakers
Years of Membership: meetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full yearsmeetthespeakers has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Bagged

Postby RECox286 » May 24th 2011, 12:57am

Get a welder and only use it once ? Kidding, right ? Once you have the ability that a welder offers, you start to find things to do, it becomes an addiction.

Then, you start to want: Setup table, clamps, magnets, cutting torch, grinders... the list goes merrily on. (ask me, Ha.)

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Bis [OP] » May 24th 2011, 7:20am

RECox286 wrote:Get a welder and only use it once ? Kidding, right ? Once you have the ability that a welder offers, you start to find things to do, it becomes an addiction.

Then, you start to want: Setup table, clamps, magnets, cutting torch, grinders... the list goes merrily on. (ask me, Ha.)

Bob

Ask you? I am worried as it is!!! :mrgreen:
I feel like the laziest son of a gun around you guys. Everybody is taking their vans apart, welding, etc, then putting them back together like its nothing. I am just here like: :shrug:
HAHAHA

No though, seriously, my girlfriend would castrate me if she found me with a welding mask and a welder in my garage.

I gotta go, she is behind me.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby AstroWill » May 25th 2011, 7:53pm

What part of Delaware are you from?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Bis [OP] » May 26th 2011, 10:17pm

AstroWill wrote:What part of Delaware are you from?

Hey Will, I am in Newark. Are you in DE as well?
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby AstroWill » May 27th 2011, 2:03am

Bis wrote:

I frequent Dover quite a bit.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Bis [OP] » May 27th 2011, 8:28am

AstroWill wrote:
Bis wrote:

I frequent Dover quite a bit.

Cool. Ever catch the Dover Downs Nascar races?
I guess you are not a delaware resident then?
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby AstroWill » May 27th 2011, 2:42pm

Bis wrote:Cool. Ever catch the Dover Downs Nascar races?
I guess you are not a delaware resident then?

I went once with a photographer friend when I was younger. It was really the way to go you have all access to everything. I liked meeting everyone, the sounds, and the smells. Other than that you get a better view from home :)

Actually I try to avoid that area every time there is a race in town, the traffic is horrible and you get these people that think their Dodge pickup is a racecar. :)

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director