Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Backup camera?

21K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
My neighbor and I installed a backup camera in my 2010 Tacoma last September, and it was quite easy because my truck is actually prewired for a backup camera. It just did not have one because it is a base model. My neighbor wired the camera directly into the transmission so the camera comes on whenever I shift into reverse.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-and-backup-camera-in-my-truck-photos.452828/

Obviously just like in my truck, I'd mount the camera above the license plate in my future Astro/Safari.

I doubt even the newest vans have prewiring for a backup camera. If anybody has installed a backup camera in their van, how did they do it? Did you wire the camera directly into the reverse light, or did you find some way to connect it to the transmission?

Also, my Tacoma has room for a double-DIN head unit so that's what I've got, but I'm guessing if I wanted the camera to be integrated into the head unit in an Astro/Safari, I'd have to get one of those single-DIN head units that hides when not in use?

#2 ·
99SLEG80AWD said:
I doubt even the newest vans have prewiring for a backup camera. If anybody has installed a backup camera in their van, how did they do it? Did you wire the camera directly into the reverse light, or did you find some way to connect it to the transmission?
Wiring to the reverse light tends to be easier.

99SLEG80AWD said:
Also, my Tacoma has room for a double-DIN head unit so that's what I've got, but I'm guessing if I wanted the camera to be integrated into the head unit in an Astro/Safari, I'd have to get one of those single-DIN head units that hides when not in use?
Yes, or you can modify the dash.

We do have a cool tool on this site for you to use.

#4 ·
I thought I posted this, maybe I did.
Camera
Side view
Monitor in Rear view Mirror

I got the wireless style, They're OK, not the best. I might actually Hard wire it Since there's a lot of interference. I used the Backup lights for power on the Camera, I found it very easy to install. Hardest part was drilling the hole to fit. I think the Bumper might be a better place to mount it too.

#11 ·
I have a fairly decent nav device that had an option to add a backup cam, I might go that route. I'm thinking of fishing the cam feed above the headliner to the overhead console. Is that feasible? Anyone tried it without pulling it down?

#12 ·
I bought a camera that I mounted above my rear door handle, painted it to match body color, then I bought a small stand alone screen, and wired the camera to back up lights then ran the wires through the step plate in the doors. works pretty good. I also added extra lights to back up at night just in case mounted in the rear bumper with a switch.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.