Lumpy!

Lumpy!

Postby bstrahl [OP] » July 20th 2012, 5:58pm

I hear you're the go to Ham here, I am looking to install my mobile unit in my 96 astro. Are there any powered wires inside the van that I can tap into, or do I need to run a line through the firewall to the battery?

Thanks in advance, and 73's!

Bryan KB8THC
Original Poster [OP]
bstrahl
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: bstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full yearsbstrahl has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD 8 Passenger

Re: Lumpy!

Postby Lumpy » July 20th 2012, 6:21pm

Mount a big circuit breaker, rated appropriate to your wiring (50A or whatever), on the firewall near the battery. Wired that direct to the + side of your batt. Run the other side of that breaker via BIG cable (AWG 2-4), through the firewall to a convenient spot inside. Terminate that with your choice of terminal blocks, power pole fixtures, whatever. Then run separate fused lines from there to your radio(s).

If you like your rigs powered on/off with key/acc, put a relay in line with EACH separate radio (so each one draws a resonable amount of current).

Expect RFI gremlins. Consider ferrites on the power lines as close to the power supply as you can get them. I've never been a fan of those "choke plus cap" filters. Seems they always depend on a very long length of wire to achieve the choke. That invites voltage drop. An ohm of resistance can be a significant drop in a 12v system for a draw of 5-10-15 amps. 20-30 ft of wire, even relatively big wire, is easily an ohm or more. Those DIY chokes typically use 20-30 ft of wire on a snap link.

I've got an RFI gremlin that bothers me ONLY on 146.52. Every other freq, every other band is fine. RFI is created not just in the installed radio but in any 2m radio within about six ft of the van.

Big wire, direct from power source. Bond everything to ground.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby StanVan » August 1st 2012, 6:15pm

Straight to the battery, as Lumpy says. I'd try it without any choke or noise filter. In addition to being a Ham as well, my early employment was installing business radios(before cellular). Noise free radios were the norm, although to be fair, it was never more than 2 or maybe 3 frequencies(or frequency pairs), not the vast number of freq's, we as Hams enjoy.

I run an FT-60 handheld, through a 2 meter amp(I rarely use UHF), and don't have any noise issues. Didn't have any with my older FT-50. Tried my FT-50 on my '73 Honda CB350F, and it was unusable due to ignition noise. But it wasn't coming in a power line(I didn't hook it up to power), so there was nothing I could do about it. Anything I tried on the ignition circuit had a detrimental affect on the bike.

Stan
K7RDH
2000 Astro AWD Cargo Van rigged for camping.
StanVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: StanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Stan
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby cookiemonster59 » September 3rd 2012, 2:28am

Lumpy, Hey you old 'Salty Dog', haven't talked to you in since you helped me figure out my trailer wiring harness problem. :ty:

Which, by the way, works just fine now that I know which color & size wires go where, and man do I love those LED trailer lights!! :clap:

My current problem is my OEM CD/Radio displays the frequency ALL THE TIME. Once I select a station, I could care less about what the freq. is, however, knowing what time it is @ a glance would be nice. I D/L'd the '99 Owner's Manual fm this site, and took a quick glance @ the section on the radio, but I didn't see a picture of the exact CD/Radio that's installed in my van, and I didn't see anything on how to make the time show on the display all the time?? Any suggestions?? :confused:

Fair Winds & Following Seas......The Cookie Monster
cookiemonster59
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: cookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full yearscookiemonster59 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): 'Rick'/'CookieMonster59'
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: V6 RWD

Postby Lumpy » September 12th 2012, 12:22am

Cook -

I don't know your radio, of course. Or even if "TIME ALWAYS" is an option. But on those radio's I have had, it's a little frustrating to figure out which button/knob does the SELECT and which does the MOVE THROUGH MENU functions. And they're not the same between brands. Blauplunkt is different than Kenwood, etc.

Generally, I think, there's one knob that allows you to page through menus, then a second button allows you to select menu choices. Like when you set the clock. One button changes from HOUR to MINUTE, the other button pages through those hours to advance to the next number. Then sometimes there's a 3rd button to push/turn to tell it "Yes I want THAT number".

Is there a model number or anything that identifies the radio? Maybe we could find an instruction document. I'm kind of blindly guessing without knowing more about the thing. I liked radios in the old days, of course. When there was ONE button for each function. But of course, in those days we had separate ANALOG clocks in the dash. Radios were radios. Clocks were clocks.

And get off my lawn you whipper snapper ... :character-oldtimer:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby icebrrg3rd » September 12th 2012, 3:27pm

Lumpy wrote:in those days we had separate ANALOG clocks in the dash. Radios were radios. Clocks were clocks.

Lump

Unless those clocks were also tachs.
TickTockTach01.jpg
TickTockTach01.jpg (187.88 KiB) Viewed 957 times

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Jasen » September 29th 2012, 4:09am

I think Lumpy's talking about the pocket watch and transistor radio he carried with him on the horse.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Return to Mobile Electronics

It is currently October 27th 2020, 4:02pm

Mobile Electronics Forum
Mobile ElectronicsTalk about audio systems and mobile video, navigation systems and GPS, car alarms and security systems. Discuss auto competition with amplifiers, subwoofers, sound quality, and SPL. Entertain with satellite radio, CB radio, DVD players, and game consoles.
To create a new topic in Mobile Electronics, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: SportsBoy
SportsBoy
in Mobile Electronics
Views: 249
Comments: 3
Date: Jul 24 '20
Time: 4:21am
» Read last comment