$3 - 2003 Factory Radio AUX input for only $3

$3 - 2003 Factory Radio AUX input for only $3

Postby AstroWill [OP] » May 21st 2013, 12:36am

So I wanted to add an AUX input on the factory radio. I was going to do this on the 99 but I never got around to it. I figured as the front of this one is broke and the CD player skips it would be a good test. Never liked the FM modulators as they degrade the sound and I travel a lot which makes it hard to keep a clear channel. If you are in one area and can find an empty station that might work for you. This is still cheaper and doesn't require extra power.

Finished Product:
aux_input_stock_03Astro_radio.jpg
aux_input_stock_03Astro_radio.jpg (121.8 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

I found some instructions over here using Radio Shack part# 274-0246.
radioshack274-0246.jpg
RadioShack 274-0246

As Radio Shack has been closing stores all over the place, it might be easier to get them online, here is a link to a similar jack on amazon. http://amzn.to/2q8LLhS
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthr ... ?p=3315388

Here are the wires that you need to attach to after removing the bottom of the radio.
P5200009edited.JPG
Pin1 is left Pin3 is right

I used some CAT5 wire that I had laying around, removed 3 strands as you need 5 wires if you still want the CD player to work when you remove the 3.5mm male-male headphone cable. Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed.
P5200018edited.JPG
Jack and Cat

After removing the face, you can see where it has to be trimmed for the jack to fit. You won't be using the threaded ring that comes with the jack.
P5200010edited.JPG
To be trimmed

Here it is trimmed. 16/64th drill bit for the hole.
P5200015edited.JPG
Trimmed and 15/64 hole drilled.

PCB board had to be trimmed as well, here it is trimmed and the jack installed.
P5200021edited.JPG
PCB Trimmed and Jack installed

Hot glue behind jack to prevent it being pushed back when plug is inserted.
P5200024edited.JPG
Hot glue behind jack to prevent from being pushed through when plug is inserted

Wires attached and working!
P5200025edited.JPG

Damn it, I didn't get a picture of the radio from the front, will do that soon.
Edit: Here it is from the front.
P5200029edited.JPG
Finished product closeup

If you are powering/charging your connected device(BT adapter/phone/tablet) from the vehicle, you may also need some ground loop isolation.
I bought a ground loop isolator from Radioshack as it was local and on sale. However to reduce wiring connections here is one that already has a 3.5mm plug and jack on it to simplify the wiring. https://amzn.to/2Ilsfat

You could also install these inside the head unit/radio so there wouldn't be any requirement to have them hanging around. You could also make your own using the transformers from old computer modems if you happen to have some around.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • New Radio, No Regrets.
    by Psyckosama » November 9th 2020, 9:03pm in Mobile Electronics
    16 Replies
    Last post by Psyckosama View the latest post
    November 12th 2020, 6:21am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 6:24pm

Re: 2003 Factory Radio AUX input for $3

Postby Leeann_93 » May 21st 2013, 1:24am

Cool - thanks!
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » May 21st 2013, 1:29am

Hope the pics are OK for everyone. Now of course if I keep the van, I will probably change the radio anyway. The way I look at it, it was a learning experience. I don't think you can find another $3 mod that is this cool :)

By the way, the CD player still works if you have the male to male cable removed from the jack.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Drummernaut » May 21st 2013, 4:54pm

Nice find on a spot to place it in. I still have not decided on were to put mine.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21266
1999 Astro LT AWD
MODS: Electric fan, Transmission cooler/fan, AWD engaged LED
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Drummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Drummer From Hell
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LT V6 AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » May 24th 2013, 10:40pm

I wanted to have it on the face of the radio, so it was really lucky that the circuit board in that spot has nothing else there. Then again with the broken buttons on this one, I'm sure that it's going to get replaced anyway. It was still a fun project to try.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » May 30th 2013, 1:05pm

So this is a factory stereo with you adding on a jack for an MP3 player?
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby AstroWill [OP] » May 30th 2013, 8:12pm

Yes, it is a factory CD player.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby akmo23 » March 6th 2014, 10:36pm

I sleeved the 5 wires with a piece of heat shrink coming out of the radio.
Grounded on the antenna screw.
I was basically eyeballing the internals of the jack instead of diagram. ( It wasn't that hard)

I was sort of worried the CD changing tracks would interfere but no it does not.

Picture has the model of radio.

Also mine is a 2001 LS Chevy Astro - with rear door speakers and tweets.
Attachments
SAM_1562.JPG
Model and rear aux
akmo23
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: akmo23 has been a member for 6 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 6 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 6 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 6 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 6 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Jinxlinx
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LS

Postby catbones » March 7th 2014, 12:29am

AstroWill wrote:So I wanted to add an AUX input on the factory radio. I was going to do this on the 99 but I never got around to it. I figured as the front of this one is broke and the CD player skips it would be a good test.
I found some instructions over here using Radio Shack part# 274-0246.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthr ... ?p=3315388
radioshack274-0246.jpg

Here are the wires that you need to attach to after removing the bottom of the radio.
P5200009edited.JPG

I used some CAT5 wire that I had laying around, removed 3 strands as you need 5 wires if you still want the CD player to work. Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed.
P5200018edited.JPG

After removing the face, you can see where it has to be trimmed for the jack to fit.
P5200010edited.JPG

Here it is trimmed. 16/64th drill bit for the hole.
P5200015edited.JPG

PCB board had to be trimmed as well, here it is trimmed and the jack installed.
P5200021edited.JPG

Hot glue behind jack to prevent it being pushed back when plug is inserted.
P5200024edited.JPG

P5200025edited.JPG

Damn it, I didn't get a picture of the radio from the front, will do that soon.
Edit: Here it is from the front.
P5200029edited.JPG

Awesome job and documentation of it. I'll actually try this in mine since I'm hating my pioneer that's in the van right now and if you got a hookup to an iPod in a factory, why bother having aftermarket.
catbones
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: catbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): catbones
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Base 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby michaeltd » March 7th 2014, 1:14am

I have a 1995 Astro and it was the base model radio with just am/fm, so I went to the lkq and found a gm radio that had a cassette player and DNR. I went to wal mart and bought a aux converter that plugger in the cassette player and the DNR makes it sound pretty good the whole thing cost me about $25 and I still have the OE look!!
michaeltd
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: michaeltd has been a member for 6 full yearsmichaeltd has been a member for 6 full yearsmichaeltd has been a member for 6 full yearsmichaeltd has been a member for 6 full yearsmichaeltd has been a member for 6 full yearsmichaeltd has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Michael
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Martym » March 13th 2014, 11:14pm

Hi,

Thanks for the great detail. I'm looking to do this to my unit and have a question -
You mention "Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed."

So are you suggesting I reverse the orange and white when I solder them on. And then use the hooks ups shown inside the unit in the other pictures?

Thanks
Mrty
Martym
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Martym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » March 14th 2014, 1:35am

Martym wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the great detail. I'm looking to do this to my unit and have a question -
You mention "Note: In this picture the orange and white/orange are reversed."

So are you suggesting I reverse the orange and white when I solder them on. And then use the hooks ups shown inside the unit in the other pictures?

Thanks
Mrty

Exactly, when I took this picture I had them hooked up wrong.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Martym » March 14th 2014, 4:18am

Thanks!
I'll let you know how it turns out...
Marty
Martym
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Martym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full yearsMartym has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Martym » April 2nd 2014, 3:51am

Thanks again. I recommend this to anyone considering it.
This fix took about 30minutes total - not bad for my first home electronics job.

One last question.
With the audio in plug installed, my cd player no longer works. I'm guessing its because we cut the black and white wires feeding the cd input and spliced in the aux plug in between. Is there a way we can make it switch back to the CD feed when wanted? Maybe by using an audio plug that has the wires jumped to create back the connection that is cut? Does this make sense? Any risk of shorting anything out?

Thanks
Marty
Martym
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 2nd 2014, 4:26am

AstroWill wrote:By the way, the CD player still works if you have the male to male cable removed from the jack.

If it is wired up the way I have it, when you remove the plug it connects the wires just like stock. The jack does this automatically

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Martym » April 5th 2014, 1:00pm

That's awesome! Thank you
Martym
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby KickballerATL » January 17th 2015, 11:38am

Great guide. I knocked this out today. I didn't want to mess with drilling into the head unit so I put my input in the empty slot above the rear AC controls:

KickballerATL
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: KickballerATL has been a member for 5 full yearsKickballerATL has been a member for 5 full yearsKickballerATL has been a member for 5 full yearsKickballerATL has been a member for 5 full yearsKickballerATL has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD

Postby MmusicmanMmusicman is online! » January 17th 2015, 2:46pm

Excellent write up... even MORE excellent with such detailed photos! :rockon:
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
MmusicmanMmusicman is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby ssbf1 » April 4th 2015, 5:36pm

This mod. is fantastic! Write up is great and easy to follow.
Attachments
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
ssbf1
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: ssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 7th 2015, 4:09pm

Looking good everyone, next I'm going to add bluetooth so music and navigation sounds from my phone will be through the factory radio.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Next