Aftermarket Remote start

Re: Aftermarket Remote start

Postby Matrixx » June 9th 2009, 7:09am

Hi quis0505

I'm glad to see you got that sorted out, hopefully you followed the bulletin for the wiring set-up.

Here is the actual bulletin:

GM Bulletin No.: 02-06-05-004A

General Motors Engineering, in an effort to determine the root cause of catalytic converter damage, has determined that aftermarket alarm systems incorrectly installed in vehicles have the potential to cause misfire codes and damage to the converter. These alarm systems use a circuit interrupt which utilizes the ignition circuit on the vehicles.

These alarm systems utilize mechanical relays and normal vehicle movement can trigger these relays to engage and disengage the ignition circuit while the vehicle is in motion. These disruptions of the ignition circuit, which occur in milliseconds, may cause more fuel to be commanded. Over time, this dumping of fuel on and off again can cause misfire codes and ultimately damage the converter assembly.

Important
Engineering could not identify any alarms that utilize solid state circuitry that would eliminate this concern. Because of this, it has been determined that all alarm systems must be routed through the starter circuit in order to avoid this condition.

Dealers must be aware of this issue and take note of the wiring on vehicles with alarm systems that come in for repair, particularly for catalytic converter damage that seem to have no known root cause.

:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Aftermarket auto safety devices
    by plainolebill » July 9th 2020, 9:17pm in Mobile Electronics
    2 Replies
    Last post by dchan51360 View the latest post
    July 10th 2020, 7:00am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 12:17am

Postby adibv5 » June 10th 2009, 2:42am

no if you turn the key to on position the alarm system will not start the car because senses voltage on ign wires.

i had major problems with an old bypass alarm i had to constantly adjust it because in cold or really hot weather mostly winter time would not put the rezistance needed i bought a self learning one is 25$ but is worth it hook it up and it learns itself from you driving the van everyday.
adibv5
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: adibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full yearsadibv5 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby webcat » June 10th 2009, 3:26am

I bypassed mine with radio shack resisters , total cost $2 and 9cents they dont seem to be affected by xtreme temps
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby quis0505 [OP] » June 13th 2009, 3:44am

Matrixx wrote:Hi quis0505

I'm glad to see you got that sorted out, hopefully you followed the bulletin for the wiring set-up.

Here is the actual bulletin:

GM Bulletin No.: 02-06-05-004A

General Motors Engineering, in an effort to determine the root cause of catalytic converter damage, has determined that aftermarket alarm systems incorrectly installed in vehicles have the potential to cause misfire codes and damage to the converter. These alarm systems use a circuit interrupt which utilizes the ignition circuit on the vehicles.

These alarm systems utilize mechanical relays and normal vehicle movement can trigger these relays to engage and disengage the ignition circuit while the vehicle is in motion. These disruptions of the ignition circuit, which occur in milliseconds, may cause more fuel to be commanded. Over time, this dumping of fuel on and off again can cause misfire codes and ultimately damage the converter assembly.

Important55
Engineering could not identify any alarms that utilize solid state circuitry that would eliminate this concern. Because of this, it has been determined that all alarm systems must be routed through the starter circuit in order to avoid this condition.

Dealers must be aware of this issue and take note of the wiring on vehicles with alarm systems that come in for repair, particularly for catalytic converter damage that seem to have no known root cause.

:)

now im worried!!!! its been a wirlwind trying to hook the system up.my service engine light is on but it came on and off before the install.how do i rout the system through the starter circuit? just to ensure i dont have theese problems
Image 1997 awd astro. 20"drag wheels w/255/35/20, fbss air suspension set up, re-painted with oem dark emerald green mettallic. sold oct 2007
Original Poster [OP]
quis0505
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: quis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » June 13th 2009, 8:50am

Hi quis0505

I would check with the alarm manufacturer first to see if it relates to this problem circuit wise (solid state or mechanical relay type).

Ask them about the starter circuit as well. I'm not an alarm installer, so I won't give advice that I have limited knowledge about, sorry. It's "very" complex as I'm sure you already noticed. They would be the best people to ask and they may even have diagrams for it. Worth a try.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby webcat » June 13th 2009, 9:50am

If your check engine light was on before you installed the remote start , that check engine light was telling you that you have a problem in some part of your electrical system , i'm just curious why you did'nt fix your problem in your electrical system and clear the codes and make sure all is well before installing anykind of electronics in the van ?
Anyways you say you have a check engine light ! What code do you have ?
Since you had a check engine light before the remote start install , the trouble code probally has nothing to do with the install unless you got a additional trouble code after the install.
I would check your codes and go from there.
As far as how do you route the system through the starter circuit ? If you followed the install directions that came with your alarm You will find that you already have it routed through your starter circuit !
When they say wire it to the starter circuit they're just telling you to wire it to the positive side of the battery ( Matrixx correct me if i'm wrong )
Matrixx explained this to me in a earlier post
webcat
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Matrixx » June 14th 2009, 10:47pm

You grab the power from the battery not any of the pink wires hooked up to the computer.:)
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby quis0505 [OP] » June 15th 2009, 10:09pm

Matrixx wrote:You grab the power from the battery not any of the pink wires hooked up to the computer.:)

i used the pink ignition wire under the column.is this what ur refering to?
Image 1997 awd astro. 20"drag wheels w/255/35/20, fbss air suspension set up, re-painted with oem dark emerald green mettallic. sold oct 2007
Original Poster [OP]
quis0505
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: quis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full yearsquis0505 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):

Postby webcat » June 15th 2009, 11:41pm

He wants you to hook the big red wire coming out of the remote start to the big red power wire under your column
He's telling you not to power the system with the big pink wire or any other pink wire
He's telling you dont hook the big red wire from remote start to the big pink ignition wire under your column!
Dont worry , you have it hooked up right !
I know it's right because if it was wrong the remote start would'nt work unless the key was in the ignition and turned to the run position.

The big pink wire coming out of your remote start should be wired to the big pink wire under your column

right
red to red
pink to pink

wrong
pink to red
pink to pink
webcat

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS » July 25th 2009, 5:22am

i just bought a remote start for my van.....now i am scared....thinking of returning it now..maybe sell it on here..lmao
96 chevy astro ,burnt orange, 20's, xenon body kit ...looking for cat grill...more to come
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: SIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroman97 » March 14th 2013, 1:38pm

also if they used t-taps on any remote starter alarm check them they tend to get loose and cause problems, may not apply to you but sure there will be someone out there that will have this problem
:thumbup:
astroman97
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 78
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Also 97 both 2wd

Previous