Tweeter Position

Tweeter Position

Postby wboyne3 [OP] » August 12th 2009, 3:10am

I have a 95 astro with the dash speakers. I am looking to replace them with a component system, where is the best place for the tweeters?
235,000 miles and running strong.
Original Poster [OP]
wboyne3
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: wboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): PeeWee
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

Re: Tweeter Position

Postby $uperJoe » August 12th 2009, 4:28am

as close to the driver as possible to keep the sound natural. if you are staying in the dash you can get coaxial components. they have the cross overs and still give the great sound with enough power but save space. if you want separates i would sugest stepping to a 5.25 and make a plate to hold them and the tweeter next it. last and more complicated is make a pillar pods and put the tweeter in there. keep it low though. most put them close to the roof and it distorts the natural sound and quality that you get from a componet. no reason to spend the money and then ruin the quality
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby StanVan » September 2nd 2009, 4:51am

Acoustically speaking, the higher the frequency, the more directional it is. Subs can be in a box facing away from you, and the sound will still find your ear. I doubt if you could hear whether it was facing you or away. Mid-range (doors, or in your case, dash firing the sound reflecting off the glass)can be mounted anywhere you can still see them. Tweeters should be at ear level, pointed directly at your ears. In a perfect world, they should be directly to the left and right of your head, but impractical as this would put them on the upper rear quadrant of the door glass making it difficult, at best, to roll down the window. That, and when a passenger is with you, his head blocks the right tweeter for you, and you block the left tweeter for him, as well as making a nasty looking install. The pillar is the best option. I mounted mine at the top of the pillar, just below where the visor screws on. Less obvious to thieves. If you are the only one who rides in the van, angle the right one towards you.
2000 Astro AWD Cargo Van rigged for camping.
StanVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: StanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Stan
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby h2omelon » September 2nd 2009, 5:31am

:rofl: :rolling: :rofl: :rolling: That is some funny S#!%^^^^^^

Please do not install them up high on the pillar. Follow the advice of the first poster and either in the dash angled towards the center of the winshield or as low in the pillar as possible angled at the center of the windshield for the best possible sound stage.
h2omelon
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: h2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full yearsh2omelon has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): Nick
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 RWD

Postby evil_motors » September 2nd 2009, 2:24pm

i dont think that putting them up on the pillar would be that bad as long as you have them angled at you. most cars have them mounted where the door meets the window but i dont think that is possible on the astro. i am not sure why you are suggesting angling the tweeters at the center of the winshield they are a very directional speaker and very fast wavelength. so if you bounce them off something it just takes longer for the sound to get to you. so it would probably sound out of phase.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
evil_motors
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: XT RWD

Postby rev_les » September 3rd 2009, 12:05am

I'd put them low on the pillar and build a pod to point them out into the cabin towards a point between the passenger and driver.. If they're up high, the one on the drivers side is only about a foot and a half from you,while the other one is more like 4 feet ( I'm estimating here, don't grab a tape measure and argue the minute details) if they're low, the one on the drivers side is closer to 4 feet, and the passenger side one is only slightly further, making the sound reach your ears closer to the same time, due to the distances being closer to each other. Just my :2: If I were just putting a system in a daily driver, i wouldn't worry about it( mine are in the factory places on the doors and sound fine)
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby chris1224 » February 25th 2010, 11:23pm

I put mine in my dash vents.turn them to the side and they popped right out. run the wires under the dash.totally unseen. :rockon:
chris1224
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: chris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full yearschris1224 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 5.7L tbi

Postby astroturf » February 25th 2010, 11:35pm

wboyne3 wrote:I have a 95 astro with the dash speakers. I am looking to replace them with a component system, where is the best place for the tweeters?

In the A pillar, High in the door by the A pillar?
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby JaxSPL » February 26th 2010, 12:01am

I've always bounced mine off the windshield. Never had any problems with that. Right now I've got 4 in each door panel, which I think is going to be to low, but, with the amount of power I'll be running to them, they'll sound all right. The A pillar pods, aimed towards the cabin area, is the best option as far as sound quality would go.

My dash had 6x9 speakers in it. I changed that out to 6.5" 2 way speakers (small woofer used for midbass and a tweeter). It sounds real good doing this. You'd need to make or buy a 6x9 to 6.5" plate for that though.

The way I look at it is. Subs right behind you, midbass low beside you, midrange right beside you and highs in front of the vehicle. I've heard you want voices and such (midrange) to sound like they are coming from the front of the vehicle. I don't compete in SQ (sound quality) or SQL (Sound Quality and loudness, or whatever), so I may not know what I'm talking about.
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL

Postby Jasen » February 26th 2010, 2:51am

This is working out really nice. I had to set the X over to -6 db because they were just to bright at 0 db, but now they are awesome. As said, don't put them to close to your head.

I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door