1993 astro van new stereo install

Re: 1993 astro van new stereo install

Postby majurbludd [OP] » November 6th 2014, 8:15pm

sure enough its the constant wire from the van that reads 10 volts. sometimes I am able to get 12 bolts from it but mostly 10 which leads me to believe its a short in the wire somewhere. I have begun taking the dash apart to trace the wire but its hell to get to it right now. without me being able to see the wires right now im assuming there is a harness somewhere for the radio made by chevy and if I can get 12 volts at the other end of the wire I may just replace the whole harness.
Original Poster [OP]
majurbludd
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: majurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): majurbludd
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • New Amp install Help
    by DoubleDeckerStudios » November 24th 2020, 5:13pm in Mobile Electronics
    9 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 12:54am
  • New Radio, No Regrets.
    by Psyckosama » November 9th 2020, 9:03pm in Mobile Electronics
    16 Replies
    Last post by Psyckosama View the latest post
    November 12th 2020, 6:21am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 4th 2021, 10:41am

Postby Lumpy » November 6th 2014, 10:53pm

majurbludd wrote:sure enough its the constant wire from the van that reads 10 volts. sometimes I am able to get 12 bolts from it but mostly 10 which leads me to believe its a short in the wire somewhere...

It's not a short. Don't mess around with installing a new harness. Simply install a new, larger gauge wire for just that one wire. Easy Peacebottomastifirism.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Leeann_93 » November 6th 2014, 10:58pm

Oh, and I found my complete Radio wiring scan from the '93 FSM.

Radio-L.jpg

Radio-R.jpg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby The Drummer » November 7th 2014, 12:09am

head units and anything that as inner power supplys like the effects we use in bands if they dont get the exact right voltages they go bizerk ,so ya test the betterie anyway for voltage ,should reed at least 12 volts , yes you may use the same wire for juice , but the thing is if you use the ignition wire as a source for both you will lose any/all settings everytime you turn off the switch , not a good option imho , if you go the other way around and use the constant wire for both (wich i doubt since it is the one with 10 volts), it should work fine , if you ever leave/forget the radio open long enough it will drain the batt and leave you stranded so again not the best option , use the cig lighter wire thats a constant lead (as long as it as 12 volts you should be golden .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby majurbludd [OP] » November 8th 2014, 3:17pm

Lumpy wrote:
majurbludd wrote:sure enough its the constant wire from the van that reads 10 volts. sometimes I am able to get 12 bolts from it but mostly 10 which leads me to believe its a short in the wire somewhere...

It's not a short. Don't mess around with installing a new harness. Simply install a new, larger gauge wire for just that one wire. Easy Peacebottomastifirism.

Lump

Sure enough I started pulling the dash off to look where the wires go. I see now that the wire at issue is connected to the whole wiring harness of the vehicle, I was hoping just that piece for the radio was separate. Your suggestion of using the bigger gauge wire would involve following the wire back to the other end and replacing it that way? Or are you suggesting I run the wire straight to the battery? Im just trying to make sure.
Original Poster [OP]
majurbludd
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: majurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full yearsmajurbludd has been a member for 6 full years

Postby majurbludd [OP] » November 8th 2014, 3:22pm

The Drummer wrote:head units and anything that as inner power supplys like the effects we use in bands if they dont get the exact right voltages they go bizerk ,so ya test the betterie anyway for voltage ,should reed at least 12 volts , yes you may use the same wire for juice , but the thing is if you use the ignition wire as a source for both you will lose any/all settings everytime you turn off the switch , not a good option imho , if you go the other way around and use the constant wire for both (wich i doubt since it is the one with 10 volts), it should work fine , if you ever leave/forget the radio open long enough it will drain the batt and leave you stranded so again not the best option , use the cig lighter wire thats a constant lead (as long as it as 12 volts you should be golden .

Im going to look into your cig idea. That would negate the cig lighter correct? Because running both on the same fuse would pop the fuse, correct? Or could I pop in a larger fuse and be golden. ( Im not the best with electric stuff sorry for the newb questions.)
Original Poster [OP]
majurbludd
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby The Drummer » November 8th 2014, 5:23pm

Well it all depends on the unit s juice consumption ,you might be able to use the cig lighter still , just try it, worst case you in for one fuse replacement , using a bigger fuse is definetly not the best of solution , usualy tho and by the wire size for the cig lighter ,i dont think it should be a problem , again make sure you get 12 volts or actualy the same voltage as the batterie , if its under 12 volts tho batterie needs charging , and if you charge it and it still dont give you 12 volts batterie is week and needs replacement (usualy) , i am no expert my self but i think this sounds bout right .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby Lumpy » November 8th 2014, 8:16pm

majurbludd wrote:
Lumpy wrote:

Lump

... Your suggestion of using the bigger gauge wire would involve following the wire back to the other end and replacing it that way? Or are you suggesting I run the wire straight to the battery? Im just trying to make sure.

Point A, Point B. Don't try and over complicate things. You need a wire from here to there. You don't have to make it follow the trip through Duluth then make a left at Covington and detour through Montrose.

Don't even REPLACE it. Just add a new wire.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby majurbludd [OP] » November 13th 2014, 10:23pm

So attempted to follow the the yellow constant wire back and assumed it was going into the fuse box radio fuse. I pulled 4 screws out of the fuse box and attempted to pull the fuse box away from the vehicles bulkhead. With no luck and frustration and a crappy flashlight, i ended up running a wire directly to the battery. I ran this wire with a toggle kill-switch (aviation style). So as of now I have music but i have to manually shut the radio on and off. My truck is wired in a similar way from a previous owner. If anyone knows a trick to get the fuse box apart im all ears.

Original Poster [OP]
majurbludd
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Lumpy » November 13th 2014, 10:47pm

You took the detour through Montrose.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Previous