Rear speaker wiring and ohms?

Rear speaker wiring and ohms?

Postby ktthecarguy [OP] » March 21st 2010, 8:09am

Hi there,
I want to put new speakers in the rear pillars and the doors in my '92 Safari. I heard one time that the speaker ohms should be the same front to back, so as not to overload the amp in the head unit. I have an older Sony CD head unit (sorry, don't have the model handy).

My question is, were the original speakers wired in series, the pillar to the door? That's what the wiring looks like, anyway. And is the impedence important? For example, if I put 5" speakers with 4 ohms up front, should I use 4" speakers with 2 ohms in the pillars, and 5" speakers with 2 ohms in the doors?

Does this make any sense?
Thanks,
KT
Original Poster [OP]
ktthecarguy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): KT
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: old Swayback

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Front speakers issue. Tweeters work, rear speakers work.
    by Jakob1994 » December 9th 2020, 11:29pm in Mobile Electronics
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 2:03am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 24th 2021, 9:04am

Re: Rear speaker wiring and ohms?

Postby Jasen » March 21st 2010, 4:23pm

Not knowing the specs of your deck I'm going to say no. As far as I know, head units are typically 4 ohms. Running 2 ohm speakers will damage the amp in the deck and I believe the speaker.
If you us external amps you need to make sure they are stable down to 2 ohms.
As far as the front speakers being wired in series, are you taking a full range and a tweeter. Typically the tweeter would be wired through a cross over between the full range speaker and tweeter, or they both run through a cross over where you have one set of wires in and two set out, one for the full range and one for the tweeter, which are set at different cross over points.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby rev_les » March 21st 2010, 4:35pm

I haven't checked the wiring, but 2 2 ohm speakers in series would be 4 ohms....... that being said, I don't recall seeing door speakers available in 2 ohm configuration, but I've been out of audio for a couple of years.I think mine were wired parallel with a coil on the rear door drivers to cut out high frequency.If you're just looking for a simple upgrade in sound, just ditch the rear door speakers, and run the ones in the c pillar,running a typical head unit at less than 4 ohms is gonna kill it.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby tedanderson » March 21st 2010, 6:36pm

They don't necessarily have to carry the same load. It's just that as long as the load isn't lower than 4 ohms, no matter how you slice it, you will be fine. One thing that you can do is install a 1/4-watt or 1/2-watt resistor inline with each 4 ohm speaker to bring it up to 8 ohms and then when you connect the rear and pillar speakers in parallel, you will still maintain that 4-ohm load.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari