Adding Factory Door Tweeters

Adding Factory Door Tweeters

Postby Gone Blue [OP] » May 2nd 2010, 4:19am

My base 98' Astro came with a base AM/FM radio only. No cassette or CD, just radio. Upgrading the sound system is not high on my list of mods right now but I did install some new Kenwood 6.5" speakers in the doors, because one of the factory door speakers was blown, and a Sony 10 disc CD changer that I had lying around. I picked up some factory door tweeters and grills during my last U Pull-It yard visit for $3.99 each. I had a pleasant surprise today when I took the door panels off to install them. I was sure that the tweeters would 1/4 turn into the back of the switch panel on my van just like they did in the van I took them out of. But what I didnt expect was that there was a connector in the doors to plug the tweeters into. This is the easiest mod I have ever seen. Once you remove the arm rest and switch panel, all you have to do is - Snap off the round solid blank tweeter cap, 1/4 turn the tweeter in, plug in the connector, and snap on the grill. The factory tweeters have capacitors wired on them to limit the low frequency so they will work with any combination of door speakers. I will take some pictures tomorrow when I button up the other side. G.B.
2" Overland Van's Lift Kit, 235/75/15 Cooper Discovery ATR Tires, KYB Gas Adjust Shocks, 98' Overhead Console added.........
Original Poster [OP]
Gone Blue
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Gone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Base

Re: Adding Factory Door Tweeters

Postby astroturf » May 2nd 2010, 8:46am

Gone Blue wrote:My base 98' Astro came with a base AM/FM radio only. No cassette or CD, just radio. Upgrading the sound system is not high on my list of mods right now but I did install some new Kenwood 6.5" speakers in the doors, because one of the factory door speakers was blown, and a Sony 10 disc CD changer that I had lying around. I picked up some factory door tweeters and grills during my last U Pull-It yard visit for $3.99 each. I had a pleasant surprise today when I took the door panels off to install them. I was sure that the tweeters would 1/4 turn into the back of the switch panel on my van just like they did in the van I took them out of. But what I didnt expect was that there was a connector in the doors to plug the tweeters into. This is the easiest mod I have ever seen. Once you remove the arm rest and switch panel, all you have to do is - Snap off the round solid blank tweeter cap, 1/4 turn the tweeter in, plug in the connector, and snap on the grill. The factory tweeters have capacitors wired on them to limit the low frequency so they will work with any combination of door speakers. I will take some pictures tomorrow when I button up the other side. G.B.

I love it when a plan comes together. Pix please... Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Gone Blue [OP] » May 2nd 2010, 2:38pm

Here are a few pics of the tweeter install. G.B.
Attachments
P5010172.JPG
Blank Tweeter Caps
P5010172.JPG (58.37 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
P5010173.JPG
Molded in 1/4 turn feature for the tweeter
P5010173.JPG (80.47 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
P5010171.JPG
Tweeter Installed notice connector on door harness for tweeter
P5010171.JPG (96.08 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
P5010175.JPG
Ready to Rock
P5010175.JPG (66.56 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
2" Overland Van's Lift Kit, 235/75/15 Cooper Discovery ATR Tires, KYB Gas Adjust Shocks, 98' Overhead Console added.........
Original Poster [OP]
Gone Blue
Years of Membership: Gone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full yearsGone Blue has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 2nd 2010, 2:56pm

That is Awesome G.B. It was there just waiting for you. How does it sound? Thanks for the pix. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Gone Blue [OP] » May 2nd 2010, 3:39pm

astroturf wrote:That is Awesome G.B. It was there just waiting for you. How does it sound? Thanks for the pix. Jim

Jim,

It made a pretty big difference. The main door speakers are so low in the door and you sit up high in these vans, you lose a lot of the high end brilliance. After I get thru with my other mods I may look to replace the rear door speakers with some 6" sub woofers to give the system some more low end. Thanks, G.B.
Original Poster [OP]
Gone Blue
Alias (AKA):

Postby ShAgSTRO » May 2nd 2010, 3:42pm

Nice man! I would've loved to see your face when you saw that! haha
1986 Astro...I like my EFI carb ;)
ShAgSTRO
Years of Membership: ShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full yearsShAgSTRO has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L

Postby webcat » May 2nd 2010, 7:49pm

Gone Blue wrote:
After I get thru with my other mods I may look to replace the rear door speakers with some 6" sub woofers to give the system some more low end. Thanks, G.B.

Is the wiring allready there for subs?
On my 2002 Astro my stock rear 5 1/4 " speakers came from the factory wired like subs (low pass filters)
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby Gone Blue [OP] » May 2nd 2010, 9:43pm

webcat wrote:
Gone Blue wrote:
After I get thru with my other mods I may look to replace the rear door speakers with some 6" sub woofers to give the system some more low end. Thanks, G.B.

Is the wiring allready there for subs?
On my 2002 Astro my stock rear 5 1/4 " speakers came from the factory wired like subs (low pass filters)

No, I am going to replace the stock rear door speakers with 6.0 or 6.5" subs. My 98' has 6.5" speakers with low pass filters like yours in the rear doors and my plan is to replace them with subs and low pass filters. G.B.
Original Poster [OP]
Gone Blue
Alias (AKA):

Postby Vanguy » May 13th 2010, 6:42pm

When replacing my stock speakers with JL components, I noticed the plug in. But opted to use the included crossovers.
Although it certainly would have been handy to know about beforehand.
Vanguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Vanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full yearsVanguy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby Gone Blue [OP] » May 13th 2010, 7:33pm

Vanguy wrote:When replacing my stock speakers with JL components, I noticed the plug in. But opted to use the included crossovers.
Although it certainly would have been handy to know about beforehand.

I think you still would not want to have used the factory tweeter wiring with your JL speaker set up. As you can see by the pictures above, the tweeters have the low pass filters on them as there is no cross over in the stock radios. I am not sure using this wiring would have gained you anything. G.B.
Original Poster [OP]
Gone Blue
Alias (AKA):

Postby JaxSPL » July 5th 2010, 7:13pm

In the 3rd pic. That capacitor on the back of the speaker is actually a high pass filter to block out the bass. A low pass filter blocks out the highs. and usually look like a resistor or wire coil.
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL