Rear Camera Install Not Working HELP

Rear Camera Install Not Working HELP

Postby corndogs [OP] » July 15th 2015, 1:47am

Installed my Pyle single din DVD player 7" . Ran a wire from the the head unit ( it was labeled BACK ) to the back of my 04 cargo van and attached it to the light green wire that was in the trailer wire bundle. Installed the camera and plugged in the video into the back of the radio and then at the camera there is a red and black wire. I don't think I have wired it to the right wires. Any help would be great.
Original Poster [OP]
corndogs
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: corndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo Adventure Van

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Rear Camera Install Not Working HELP

Postby Meterpig » July 15th 2015, 2:29am

Do you have a way of checking the signal any other way?
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby Roger Ramjet » July 15th 2015, 2:47am

corndogs wrote:Installed my Pyle single din DVD player 7" . Ran a wire from the the head unit ( it was labeled BACK ) to the back of my 04 cargo van and attached it to the light green wire that was in the trailer wire bundle. Installed the camera and plugged in the video into the back of the radio and then at the camera there is a red and black wire. I don't think I have wired it to the right wires. Any help would be great.

Why would you tap into the trailer harness ? Green is right turn and brake lights . I tapped mine into the reverse light wiring . The red on the camera should be onto reverse light power and the black goes to ground . The only wire that runs to the front of the van to the radio is yellow rca ended cable .

I have two rear cameras , one that is powered buy the reverse light and it goes to RCA jack on the back of my dvd stereo single din .. The other one is on switched power and runs to a rear view mirror with built in little screen the mirror itself is also on the acc side and only works with key on . , I can turn it on anytime I want to see out the back of my van .. All my rear glass is covered in .
1997 Astro Van
Roger Ramjet
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Roger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Roger Ramjet
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 2WD 4.3

Postby corndogs [OP] » July 15th 2015, 1:49pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
corndogs wrote:Installed my Pyle single din DVD player 7" . Ran a wire from the the head unit ( it was labeled BACK ) to the back of my 04 cargo van and attached it to the light green wire that was in the trailer wire bundle. Installed the camera and plugged in the video into the back of the radio and then at the camera there is a red and black wire. I don't think I have wired it to the right wires. Any help would be great.

Why would you tap into the trailer harness ? Green is right turn and brake lights . I tapped mine into the reverse light wiring . The red on the camera should be onto reverse light power and the black goes to ground . The only wire that runs to the front of the van to the radio is yellow rca ended cable .

I have two rear cameras , one that is powered buy the reverse light and it goes to RCA jack on the back of my dvd stereo single din .. The other one is on switched power and runs to a rear view mirror with built in little screen the mirror itself is also on the acc side and only works with key on . , I can turn it on anytime I want to see out the back of my van .. All my rear glass is covered in .

Light green is reverse/back up. When I go into reverse the monitor swithce over to the , It just does not show a video feed. There was a plug just sitting in the back cargo door when I took off the plate so I just used that for power. I'm thinking that may be the problem.
Original Poster [OP]
corndogs
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: corndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full yearscorndogs has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby corndogs [OP] » July 15th 2015, 3:45pm

Ok, i have it wired to the reverse and it works, but since i ran a wire from back of radio to reverse light I think i want to wire the camera red wire to the reverse and also bridge it to constant key power so while im driving I can switch to rear camera also. Any suggestions?
Original Poster [OP]
corndogs
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » July 15th 2015, 5:02pm

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby corndogs [OP] » July 15th 2015, 5:25pm

thanks Lump.
Original Poster [OP]
corndogs
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby corndogs [OP] » July 15th 2015, 5:29pm

Lumpy wrote:Image

Lump

Lump can the dash switch just be the camera function on the radio?
I'm not very smart when It comes to diodes. What way would I put the diode? I know they allow flow of current in only one direction.

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
corndogs
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » July 15th 2015, 5:39pm

I'm not familiar, of course, with what your radio switch does. But anything that provided +12v power would do the trick. If you put a meter or a light bulb on the output wire from your radio switch then flipped the switch on and off you would discover if that's the case. And you'd probably want it to provide power only when the IGN is on.

The diode would, as you correctly stated, allow the power from the B/U lamps to flow to the camera but it would BLOCK power from the switch flowing back into the B/U lamps. That way, when you flipped your switch, the camera would energize but the backup lamps would not come on. B/U lamps would still function normally with the transmission selector.

Typical diode like a 1N4001 would be a little cylinder with a wire sticking out each end. There's a paint stripe around one end of the diode. That paint stripe side goes toward the camera. Current can flow from the UNpainted side to the paint stripe side but not the other direction.

Those little diodes are rated at 1 amp. If you tried to power a device that required more than 1 amp you'd need a bigger diode or a relay. But the camera probably has very little draw. There's also a little voltage drop through the diode of about a volt. That shouldn't be a problem either with most cameras. But if it was, it's simple and cheap to install a relay. Then you can switch cameras, aux back up lights, M2 machine guns, oil slick deploy modules, blow up doll compressors etc.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby corndogs [OP] » July 15th 2015, 9:37pm

awesome, thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
corndogs
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Roger Ramjet » July 16th 2015, 12:27am

corndogs wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:

Light green is reverse/back up. When I go into reverse the monitor swithce over to the , It just does not show a video feed. There was a plug just sitting in the back cargo door when I took off the plate so I just used that for power. I'm thinking that may be the problem.

Sorry I thought you meant that you tapped into the trailer harness . Four wire , Green , Brown , Yellow , White . and not into the taillight harness
1997 Astro Van
Roger Ramjet
Years of Membership: Roger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Roger Ramjet
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 2WD 4.3