Computer center in the van

Computer center in the van

Postby Pengyou [OP] » September 6th 2015, 2:29am

I am enjoying my van, though have found it has a few owies :screaming: to take care of. I am looking now to the entertainment system, to learn the costs of various upgrades. Right now, Sam only has an am/fm radio :( I would like to have a back-up camera, front viewing camera, dvd-mp3 player, gps, cb radio, am/fm radio and possibly satellite radio in my car, connected to an amp with speakers throughout. Is it possible to connect all of these devices to a computer and replace the am/fm radio with an lcd or led touch screen monitor and control all of the previously mentioned hardware with this touchscreen? The goal is simplicity of use as well as having an uncluttered look in the cabin - especially hiding as many of the toys as possible so that thieves do not have so much to see.
Original Poster [OP]
Pengyou
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Pengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Re: Computer center in the van

Postby WDMICKJR » September 8th 2015, 4:43am

yes
SOLD 92 Astro CS with 95 4bolt 355 LT1, hand ported *374s & intake (David Vizard tech), EFI 24x, 211/219*, 1.94/1.6" 1.7"roller rockers .574"/.583", shift kit & corvette servo, G80, GT4, 255/70-15s, 2001LS1pcm; aka fAstro
WDMICKJR
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: WDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full yearsWDMICKJR has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): Billy
Extra Info: 94 LT1

Postby Pengyou [OP] » September 9th 2015, 1:52am

????
Original Poster [OP]
Pengyou
Years of Membership: Pengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby The Drummer » September 9th 2015, 2:47am

Some double/single din car dvd will do most of that , cb speaker out could be hooked to it as well ,the sattelite radio i dont know ,maybe some of the higher end have that option , if you get a wi-fi one your have everything pretty much ,b.t. for the phone etc, if android you may hook up the obd2 via bluetooth , your phone could control most of it as well ,its pretty much only one devise in the dash ,maybe 2 with sat radio, single din with 7 inch sreen fits pretty easy (find one with the screen that goes down not up tho ,it will obstruck your heater controls) , dunno just some idea s .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby StanVan » October 12th 2015, 6:51am

I realize I'm bumping a month old thread, so I hope this gets seen by the OP.

I'm sure someone could do what you want, but radios that can do most of that are readily available. They're just not cheap, but still cheaper than the computer setup you describe. I had a Pioneer flip touch screen, single DIN, that did DVD, would accept modules for satellite and HD radio, and had a hookup for a backup camera, as well as a USB that could connect a flash drive or an Apple device.It also had Bluetooth. The model above mine had GPS built in. An auxiliary input could handle audio from a CB. But honestly,I don't see the advantage of a front camera, but I'm sure something could be done.
2000 Astro AWD Cargo Van rigged for camping.
StanVan
Years of Membership: StanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full yearsStanVan has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Stan

Postby Xeroq » November 22nd 2017, 9:31am

Pengyou wrote:I am enjoying my van, though have found it has a few owies :screaming: to take care of. I am looking now to the entertainment system, to learn the costs of various upgrades. Right now, Sam only has an am/fm radio :( I would like to have a back-up camera, front viewing camera, dvd-mp3 player, gps, cb radio, am/fm radio and possibly satellite radio in my car, connected to an amp with speakers throughout. Is it possible to connect all of these devices to a computer and replace the am/fm radio with an lcd or led touch screen monitor and control all of the previously mentioned hardware with this touchscreen? The goal is simplicity of use as well as having an uncluttered look in the cabin - especially hiding as many of the toys as possible so that thieves do not have so much to see.

Getting the desired simplicity is alright, but radios that can do most of that are readily available.I had a Dell S2240T 21.5-Inch Touch Screen LED-lit Monitor, single DIN, that did DVD, would accept modules for satellite and HD radio.I also had a hookup for a backup camera, as well as a USB that could connect a flash drive.I would say that it's possible to connect these devices as you desire and replace with the led touch screen monitor.However,keen interest to the touch screen monitor ought to be paid.One of your preference from the world's best i.e https://comparily.com/best-touch-screen-monitor/ would do. But, for the camera,I don't deem it to be that essential.
Goodluck.
Xeroq
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Xeroq has been a member for 3 full yearsXeroq has been a member for 3 full yearsXeroq has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA): asher
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby five10freak » November 23rd 2017, 3:58am

Do an internet search for carputer. It can and has been done. simplicity is not in the vocabulary of carputers, several geek friends of mine have done this into the Nissan 240sx chassis with all the goodies you mentioned, they got there cars done but it wasn't a cut and dry install with lots and lots of wires, relays, raspberry pies etc,etc,etc.

good luck though!! and keep us posted!!
five10freak
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: five10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): five10freak
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD