Looking for a good 1.5 DIN head unit with an Aux input

Looking for a good 1.5 DIN head unit with an Aux input

Postby d0nk3y [OP] » August 13th 2010, 5:02pm

I cannot seem to find a decent one after searching for hours. I'm not a big fan of the adapter plates that let you use a single-DIN - they are very easy to smash-and-grab (had a stereo stolen out of a Dodge P/U that way).

Suggestions?
Best MPG to date:
Original Poster [OP]
d0nk3y
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: d0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Scooter
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Upgrade stock head units? unlocking?
    by dcsleeper » August 3rd 2020, 8:00pm in Mobile Electronics
    6 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeper View the latest post
    August 4th 2020, 10:48pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 4:20pm

Re: Looking for a good 1.5 DIN head unit with an Aux input

Postby JaxSPL » August 13th 2010, 9:51pm

What exactly are you looking for in a headunit? There are a lot out there that have the aux input. There is a darn good one sold on walmart.com for $100 that has a bunch of features (SD card, USB, aux input, rear view camera input, dvd, cd, and a bunch more things I can't remember.

Now with that out of the way. Unless you are good at fiberglass or something like that, you are going to have to use a faceplate adapter kit. IF done right they are just as hard to remove the headunit as a factory installed one would be. Metra, Scosche, and American International are the ones I use all the time. Never had a problem with either of them.

And if you are worried about something getting stolen, maybe you should look into getting an alarm system as a deterrent? I'm not trying to be an *** with that statement so please don't take it that way. A little bit of safety for not only you, but your vehicle and things inside it is worth doing some type of security system. You don't even need to get an expensive one, but you do want one that you can customize (I've talked this before, make vehicle light up like a Christmas tree, demanding attention and putting trespassers in the spotlight).

That just an idea.
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL

Postby Leeann_93 » August 13th 2010, 9:58pm

'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Brlux » August 13th 2010, 11:17pm

I just ordered a USA Spec pa11-gm45, It emulates an external 6 disk changer and then translated the commands from the factory stereo to control an Ipod. You can change songs from the factory stereo and have each disk be a different play list, when you choose disk 6 is selects a set of RCA inputs on the adapter so that you can hook up a DVD player or whatever else you want. I like the look, features, and theft deterrent of the factory stereo but also wanted my own tunes and the ability to add an RCA cable source. You will have to verify it will work on your year and stereo model. It coats about as much as a lower end after market stereo. I will make a post about how I like it after I get it installed. Does any one else have one of these?
1999 AWD Asrto LS with 3.73 diff. Adopted July of 2010 with 77k miles. I hear this is the Cool Man Minivan, right?
Brlux
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Brlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full yearsBrlux has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):

Postby d0nk3y [OP] » August 14th 2010, 3:12am

JaxSPL wrote:What exactly are you looking for in a headunit? There are a lot out there that have the aux input. There is a darn good one sold on walmart.com for $100 that has a bunch of features (SD card, USB, aux input, rear view camera input, dvd, cd, and a bunch more things I can't remember.

Now with that out of the way. Unless you are good at fiberglass or something like that, you are going to have to use a faceplate adapter kit. IF done right they are just as hard to remove the headunit as a factory installed one would be. Metra, Scosche, and American International are the ones I use all the time. Never had a problem with either of them.

And if you are worried about something getting stolen, maybe you should look into getting an alarm system as a deterrent? I'm not trying to be an *** with that statement so please don't take it that way. A little bit of safety for not only you, but your vehicle and things inside it is worth doing some type of security system. You don't even need to get an expensive one, but you do want one that you can customize (I've talked this before, make vehicle light up like a Christmas tree, demanding attention and putting trespassers in the spotlight).

That just an idea.

I'm currently 2000 miles from home, have been working 16 hour days and am running on reserves. Forgive me if this comes across rude; did you catch the part about the 1.5 DIN?.

An alarm system will not stop a thief that sees an easy score in a flimsy adapter plate. I did post that I had prior experience with this before - I appreciate your response, however, you suggested EXACTLY what I DO NOT want to do. :banghead:

It may come down to your suggestion, but I think I would design and build something to hide to play an aux input through before that happens.
Best MPG to date:
Original Poster [OP]
d0nk3y
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: d0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full yearsd0nk3y has been a member for 10 full years

Postby 94 Van Guy » August 14th 2010, 4:07am

'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby d0nk3y [OP] » August 14th 2010, 1:52pm

Thanks to all!

I also apologize for my snippiness last night, Dennis. :/
Best MPG to date:
Original Poster [OP]
d0nk3y
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby astroturf » August 14th 2010, 1:58pm

d0nk3y wrote:Thanks to all!

2000 miles from home...

I would be snippy as well.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting. I too don't want a din where 1.5 should go.

Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby JaxSPL » August 14th 2010, 3:50pm

No problem. I 'm wondering though. Isn't there a factory 1.5 DIN headunit for Chevy that has AUX input on it. To me, that sounds more like what you're looking for as it would mount pretty much the same way as the factory unit in your van would? Or maybe a PAC interface for your year of vehicle. http://www.installer.com/aux/ is some information on the PAC interface, if you want to read it.

O.k. I just found some information that "may" help. It seems the following vehicles have a factory unit WITH Aux input built in:

* 2004 Chevrolet Malibu (including Maxx) - excludes Classic body style
* 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
* 2005 Chevrolet Malibu (including Maxx)
* 2005 Pontiac G6
* 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
* 2006 Chevrolet Malibu (including Maxx)
* 2006 Pontiac G6
* 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
* 2007 Chevrolet Mailbu (including Maxx)
* 2007 Pontiac G6
* 2008 Pontiac G6
* 2009 Pontiac G6

However, from the looks of it the VIN number of the vehicle is hardcoded into the unit. I need to find more info on that. I'm guessing it means that all the ECM stuff is routed through the headunit, which sucks.

Am I closer to being on the same page now or do I need to keep flipping? :)
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL

Postby Cali_PB » August 15th 2010, 7:32am

Hey, I feel you on the 1.5 DIN headunit ya know? I had one in my old Astro. I had the Pioneer DIN 1/2 GM Deck 77DH. I only use Pioneer, they are the best in my personal opinion and they have AUX out also. You can either buy them through Pioneer, Amazon, or catch it on Ebay.

Here is a pic installed http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847640/4
DMW Sr...
San Antonio, TX
Rebuilding 1999 Chevy Astro

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847640
Cali_PB
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Cali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): Cali_PB
Extra Info: non yet

Postby Jasen » August 15th 2010, 7:05pm

I gave up trying to find a 1.5 din head unit that had what I needed. I think the 1 din looks pretty good in the hole with the right kit.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Cali_PB » August 16th 2010, 12:05am

That is what I went with on my new Astro
DMW Sr...
San Antonio, TX
Rebuilding 1999 Chevy Astro

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847640
Cali_PB
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Cali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full yearsCali_PB has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA): Cali_PB
Extra Info: non yet

Postby d0nk3y [OP] » August 27th 2010, 11:57am

JaxSPL wrote:

No problem. I 'm wondering though. Isn't there a factory 1.5 DIN headunit for Chevy that has AUX input on it. To me, that sounds more like what you're looking for as it would mount pretty much the same way as the factory unit in your van would? Or maybe a PAC interface for your year of vehicle. http://www.installer.com/aux/ is some information on the PAC interface, if you want to read it.

O.k. I just found some information that "may" help. It seems the following vehicles have a factory unit WITH Aux input built in:

* 2004 Chevrolet Malibu (including Maxx) - excludes Classic body style
* 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt
* 2005 Chevrolet Malibu (including Maxx)
* 2005 Pontiac G6
* 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
* 2006 Chevrolet Malibu (including Maxx)
* 2006 Pontiac G6
* 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
* 2007 Chevrolet Mailbu (including Maxx)
* 2007 Pontiac G6
* 2008 Pontiac G6
* 2009 Pontiac G6

However, from the looks of it the VIN number of the vehicle is hardcoded into the unit. I need to find more info on that. I'm guessing it means that all the ECM stuff is routed through the headunit, which sucks.

Am I closer to being on the same page now or do I need to keep flipping? :)

Thank you for those options Dennis! :)

The stereos you listed above are class-II communication based - and double DIN. :banghead: However, your link and a previous post led me to purchase this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EA ... ss_product

We'll see how it works!

Thank you to everybody that offered their suggestions and ignored my rude post. :ty:
Best MPG to date:
Original Poster [OP]
d0nk3y
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby d0nk3y [OP] » August 31st 2010, 4:27pm

d0nk3y wrote:Thank you for those options Dennis! :)

The stereos you listed above are class-II communication based - and double DIN. :banghead: However, your link and a previous post led me to purchase this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EA ... ss_product

We'll see how it works!

Thank you to everybody that offered their suggestions and ignored my rude post. :ty:

Got the setup last night and spent less than an hour installing it. Camera phone pictures didn't turn out, but I am very happy and the sound is great.

:rockon:
Best MPG to date:
Original Poster [OP]
d0nk3y
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby astroturf » August 31st 2010, 4:38pm

That's Great Donkey.

Thanks for the update.

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Astroclyde » October 4th 2010, 4:49pm

Donkey, what kind of head unit was in your astro to begin with? Does the setup you purchased require some sort of dealer-installed external peripheral like a CD changer?

I'd love to replicate this but I only have an AM/FM Cassette in my 98.

Tia, C
Astroclyde
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Astroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroclyde has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby d0nk3y [OP] » October 14th 2010, 3:01am

Astroclyde wrote:Donkey, what kind of head unit was in your astro to begin with? Does the setup you purchased require some sort of dealer-installed external peripheral like a CD changer?

I'd love to replicate this but I only have an AM/FM Cassette in my 98.

Tia, C

It does require the CD player (my stereo is factory am/fm cassette with a remote CD player down by the cupholders. I am not positive, but you may be able to buy the CD player used on the cheap and get it to work.
Best MPG to date:
Original Poster [OP]
d0nk3y
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby red98tj » October 15th 2010, 2:13am

I have the pioneer deh-p77dh 1.5din unit and have been very happy with it. Apparently they no longer make it, but you might find a used one on ebay(where I got mine) or elsewhere. It has built in subwoofer controls, high and low pass filters, and built in eq with presets. I have been running mine with the factory speakers and a cheap visonic subwoofer that has a built in amp. It sounds excellent, although I would like to replace the rear pillar 4x6 speakers soon as they do not sound as good as the fronts, and eventually I will also replace the fronts.
Vehicles:
2005 Chevy Avalanchesold
2000 Chevy Astro AWDsold
2003 Chrysler T&C AWD
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
2007 Chrysler Pacifica awd
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh
red98tj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: red98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA): kevin