Double din install

Double din install

Postby Wakes03astro [OP] » September 29th 2015, 3:40am

Finally got around to installing my Pioneer avh-p4400bhs unit.
Attachments
20150926_184418.jpg
I used the bottom of the stock stereo.
20150926_184358.jpg
Checking the fit. Figuring how to cover the side openings.
20150928_170307.jpg
I bent the back (kinda) level. There was plenty of room so it didn't have to be cut.
20150928_172210.jpg
Just about there.I used a Metra dash kit for a 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5. I then slowly trimmed the bezel, checking for fit. It wanted to crack, but patience was key. I then sanded the cuts to smooth them out. Just a little bit more trimming up top.
Original Poster [OP]
Wakes03astro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Wakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Wakes
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Regency Conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • New Amp install Help
    by DoubleDeckerStudios » November 24th 2020, 5:13pm in Mobile Electronics
    9 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 12:54am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 4:30am

Re: Double din install

Postby WoodButcher » September 30th 2015, 1:43am

Welcome to the forum Wakes.

Pretty good fit, I see your not afraid of a little hacking. That's a good thing when so few aftermarket goodies are made for these vans anymore.
Do you have the stock CD still working? If not that space makes a good catch all for pens, phones and smokes. If you pull the player you can fab up a box and glue it to the back of the doghouse panel like my cargo was.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Wakes03astro [OP] » October 1st 2015, 12:57am

I enjoy doing stuff like this. The stock cd is disconnected and i plan on getting the pocket. A little bit at a time with my busy schedule. Thanks for the welcoming. Its good to finally make a post.
Attachments
20150930_165402.jpg
I borrowed a friends dremel. I need to purchase one. I just sanded the top and bottom a little bit and evened it out. Much better than hand sanding.
Original Poster [OP]
Wakes03astro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Wakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full yearsWakes03astro has been a member for 6 full years

Postby '97 astro man » December 12th 2015, 9:42pm

i have a question regarding the wiring you needed to do on this job.

did you need to acquire one of those PCA interfaces to connect the factory wiring to the radio or perhaps was it as simple as a Metra adapter fused straight to the factory wires?

if you only used the Metra adapter I'd guess you had to cut the factory connection to the factory radio and solder the wires together?

im stuck at this point on my job and could use some help...thanks!
'97 astro man
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: '97 astro man has been a member for 5 full years'97 astro man has been a member for 5 full years'97 astro man has been a member for 5 full years'97 astro man has been a member for 5 full years'97 astro man has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997

Postby Wakes03astro [OP] » January 18th 2016, 5:51pm

I picked up the Metra 70-1858 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 88-05 Harness and crimped the wires together to the new stereo. I also wired a relay so I didn't have to use the e-brake to watch videos. You simply unplug the wire harness from the back of the factory radio and plug the metro harness into that. No muss no fuss.
Original Poster [OP]
Wakes03astro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 19th 2016, 4:25am

'97 astro man wrote:if you only used the Metra adapter I'd guess you had to cut the factory connection to the factory radio and solder the wires together?

Always use a vehicle specific adapter IMO. They are less than ~$10 and you don't have to cut the factory wires at all, that is what the adapter is for. You will however have to use connectors or solder to join the adapter to the new radio harness.

So it goes new radio harness, soldered/crimped to the vehicle specific harness and then it just plugs into the factory wiring.

Here is another install using the Metra kit. https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=140564

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches