AC PSI for switch to engage

AC PSI for switch to engage

Postby justoneman [OP] » April 30th 2021, 4:35pm

What minimum PSI is needed to engage the low pressure switch? I have jumped the switch and my compressor engages. The relay works as I switched it out on the headlight position and it functions. I replaced the low pressure switch but no magic. I have about 33 PSI. Is that too low to trip the switch?
Original Poster [OP]
justoneman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: AC PSI for switch to engage

Postby Birdshake » April 30th 2021, 4:46pm

I think so.

Static pressure readings should be above 50psi
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby AstroWill » April 30th 2021, 7:44pm

justoneman wrote:What minimum PSI is needed to engage the low pressure switch? I have jumped the switch and my compressor engages. The relay works as I switched it out on the headlight position and it functions. I replaced the low pressure switch but no magic. I have about 33 PSI. Is that too low to trip the switch?

That is too low, the low pressure cycling switch is usually about 45-50psi.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby justoneman [OP] » May 1st 2021, 2:34am

AstroWill wrote:
justoneman wrote:What minimum PSI is needed to engage the low pressure switch? I have jumped the switch and my compressor engages. The relay works as I switched it out on the headlight position and it functions. I replaced the low pressure switch but no magic. I have about 33 PSI. Is that too low to trip the switch?

That is too low, the low pressure cycling switch is usually about 45-50psi.
I tried to fill up with the simple can set up. Obviously my system was too depleted. i will take it in to have it professionally charged up. Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
justoneman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » May 4th 2021, 12:10am

If it's low on refrigerant then it definitely has a leak, that should be fixed before charging.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby justoneman [OP] » May 4th 2021, 12:52am

AstroWill wrote:If it's low on refrigerant then it definitely has a leak, that should be fixed before charging.

I took the Astro in to have it charged. They did a leak down test. System was fine and was replenished. Now I have an Astro that runs nice and has AirCon. Next move I have to deal with the ABS sensors and the re-upholstery of the nasty seats and the nasty headliner.
Original Poster [OP]
justoneman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » May 4th 2021, 2:25am

Awesome! Just in time for it to start heating up across the country.
I mean, it IS a sealed system, the refrigerant can't go anywhere but out. Any oil stains around the compressor/joints/etc? Hopefully it's such a small leak that it will be a long time before you have to deal with it again.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director