Converting rear heat to hot water heat exchanger

Converting rear heat to hot water heat exchanger

Postby Tripsouth [OP] » July 11th 2016, 5:06am

Has anyone converted their rear heat to be used to heat water for a shower/cooking/cleaning? I have no use for it as a heater and it seems like it'd be easier to tap off than under the hood.
Original Poster [OP]
Tripsouth
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Tripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear heat not working
    by K-TRON » September 18th 2020, 3:51am in Climate Control
    2 Replies
    Last post by CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! View the latest post
    September 19th 2020, 5:25am
  • Removing conversion van rear heat/AC unit
    by AstroOafAdventurer » November 18th 2020, 5:16pm in Climate Control
    17 Replies
    Last post by icebrrg3rd View the latest post
    December 19th 2020, 2:21pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 24th 2021, 8:43pm

Re: Converting rear heat to hot water heat exchanger

Postby Astrofarian » July 12th 2016, 1:29pm

Not sure what you want to "tap into" ? Are you into showering with DexCool?

The heat source is the engine coolant. Eliminate the coolant and all that's left is a fan.
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby gavio » July 12th 2016, 4:40pm

I get the impression that what you're thinking is to use the coolant line as a source for a heat exchange coil in a hot water tank? If so, then yes, I've seen it (and similar) done before.... I think best would be to replace the heater core with a copper coil, then enclose that in a dedicated hot water tank, add a thermostat and solenoid to control the heating to it doesn't become overly hot (or at least add a temperature gauge so you can turn it off in time and there ya go.... SImple, yes?

You could try using the heater core as it exists, just dropping that into a tank, but that design, while very good as a water-to-air heat exchanger is sub-optimal as a water-to-water exchanger...

As with most things, the devil's i the details so a good investment of time would be to google up the ways other folks have done it...
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » July 12th 2016, 11:03pm

gavio wrote:I get the impression that what you're thinking is to use the coolant line as a source for a heat exchange coil in a hot water tank? If so, then yes, I've seen it (and similar) done before.... I think best would be to replace the heater core with a copper coil, then enclose that in a dedicated hot water tank, add a thermostat and solenoid to control the heating to it doesn't become overly hot (or at least add a temperature gauge so you can turn it off in time and there ya go.... Simple, yes?

You could try using the heater core as it exists, just dropping that into a tank, but that design, while very good as a water-to-air heat exchanger is sub-optimal as a water-to-water exchanger...

As with most things, the devil's in the details so a good investment of time would be to google up the ways other folks have done it...

^ that. There are RV systems you can buy that do this, but why not build your own?
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Tripsouth [OP] » July 13th 2016, 4:08pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've found a few examples of these using the coolant lines directly under the hood. I just wanted to see if anyone had any Astro specific examples using the rear heat.
Original Poster [OP]
Tripsouth
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Tripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full yearsTripsouth has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tripsouth [OP] » July 21st 2016, 4:17pm

I've disassembled the rear heat and removed the blower. Now I'm left with the heater core attached to the coolant lines. If I remove the heater core is it going to leak coolant everywhere? Do I need to drain the system or can I quickly cap it somehow?
Original Poster [OP]
Tripsouth
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » July 21st 2016, 11:35pm

Sure it's doable. I made a heat exchanger using coolant. It's not a very good use of the gasoline if you're just heating water, but if you plan it right (morning warmup to recharge battery...etc.) then sure go for it. It took me 10-15 minutes of the engine running to get 18 gallons of water up to 105 degrees. The intended purpose was a shower.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Tripsouth [OP] » October 26th 2016, 5:04am

Quick update:
I bought a 14 plate heat exchanger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322190015825
Cut a few holes in the bottom of the rubber heater line below the rear heat (under the van) that is attached to the metal pipes coming from the engine. Drained what I hoped was most of the coolant.
Removed the rear heater core through lots of prying and cutting and drilling.
Scrapped/cut off the rear heater hose.
Swapped in fresh hoses and connected to the heat exchanger using fittings and hose clamps from O'Reilly's.
I'm trying to work out the rest of my plumbing system but initial tests are promising. Need to get a thermocouple/RTD now...
Original Poster [OP]
Tripsouth
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » October 26th 2016, 6:04am

I'm very interested to see how this turns out..... I hadn't thought of doing it that way.... Good luck.
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD