Rear AC/ REAR heat switch swap

Rear AC/ REAR heat switch swap

Postby Rookie162 [OP] » January 28th 2017, 6:47pm

Amazon has the rear ac switch at 39 bucks versus the rear heat switch at 58.

Can i buy 2 rear ac switches and label one "heat" on my own since both my switches have bulbs burnt out?

I would imagine these 2 switches are identical internally since they do the same function.
Original Poster [OP]
Rookie162
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): Mel
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Rear AC/ REAR heat switch swap

Postby AstroWill » January 28th 2017, 6:49pm

If the only problem is that they don't light up, why not just replace the bulbs? $80+ for new switches, or $2 for bulbs...

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Rookie162 [OP] » January 28th 2017, 7:17pm

AstroWill wrote:If the only problem is that they don't light up, why not just replace the bulbs? $80+ for new switches, or $2 for bulbs...

I took them apart already.....theyre not as as as a job as the radio lites were. The bulb wires are long and weave in n out. Hard to explain
Original Poster [OP]
Rookie162
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full years

Postby srdragonusa » January 28th 2017, 7:24pm

I have a few Rear switches, They cam out of a 2002/2003 Astro.

Not sure if it lights up. I may be able to test it. I was just about to post up these spare parts.
[email protected] AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 *SOLD* :-(
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
1985 MCI 102 A3
srdragonusa
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: srdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Rookie162 [OP] » January 28th 2017, 7:57pm

srdragonusa wrote:I have a few Rear switches, They cam out of a 2002/2003 Astro.

Not sure if it lights up. I may be able to test it. I was just about to post up these spare parts.

Test it and lemme know

Or u could do a bulb replacement tutorial. Haha
Original Poster [OP]
Rookie162
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby srdragonusa » January 29th 2017, 2:53am

hehe

OK, took the spare apart, not hard, just need to be careful. Seems all the plastic is very brittle in theses vans. I don't think it's worth swapping the bulbs easier to swap the switch.

Here's the switch separated in 2
Close up of Bulb side the 2 blue things are the bulbs
if you click on image and zoom in you can see the tiny wire leg of the bulb. Doesn't look like fun to me.
[email protected] AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 *SOLD* :-(
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
1985 MCI 102 A3
srdragonusa
Years of Membership: srdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Rookie162 [OP] » January 29th 2017, 4:34am

Exactly! Lol

So back to my original question.....

Would 2 "REAR AC" switches work....and i label one for heat?
Original Poster [OP]
Rookie162
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 29th 2017, 4:46am

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby 1lowcab » January 29th 2017, 4:47am

I replaced the bulb in my rear heat switch....it was not fun. Also, now it doesn't match the other lights as the factory bulbs have that blue coating on them.

Someday I'll just replace the switch.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 29th 2017, 5:22am

They do sell the colored 'gel' caps/covers that go over standard white bulbs, aka lighting filters. Of course, all of the used ones are 12+ years old now as well, and it is quite common for them to be burned out.
I wouldn't buy these online, but they should be available locally, I had bought some years ago. http://amzn.to/2pKCeMD

Something like this might work as well. http://amzn.to/2p5Gh7s

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby One-Eye » March 11th 2017, 2:27am

I'm not sure why this is such a discussion. I replaced my bulbs in both switches quite easily with perfect results. There is a thread in the forums on how to do it, written quite well. The bulbs can be had on ebay cheap. I got a pack of 10 of them for something like $3.00. I did mine slightly different then the post, I didn't crush my bulbs in fear of damaging the covers. I instead clipped the leads as close to the bulbs as possible and carefully removed the covers so I could reuse them on the new bulbs. I also chose to use the incandescent 7219 bulbs instead of LEDs because I want the bulbs to dim with the rest of the dash and don't want to get into replacing all my dash lights with LEDs yet (Dimming issue and the time involved).
'85 Cargo - First Astro, Recycled.
'89 Customized Shorty - Up for Sale, 225k, still running.
'03 Regency Hightop, 4.3L, X VIN
Mods: AWD converted to RWD (More mods to follow).
One-Eye
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: One-Eye has been a member for 4 full yearsOne-Eye has been a member for 4 full yearsOne-Eye has been a member for 4 full yearsOne-Eye has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA): Bernie
Extra Info: Regency Hightop

Postby 1lowcab » March 11th 2017, 2:55am

I re-did all 3 switches with 3mm LEDs, along with all the other bulbs on the dash/doors.

The rear heat, rear ac and rear wiper are a little hard and it is easiest to crush the original bulbs so you have more wire to work with but worth it when it's done.
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):