questions about heat/ac for an 89

questions about heat/ac for an 89

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 2nd 2017, 6:06am

OK so I have the shop manual and the wiring schematics book and there are no diagrams for the vacuum lines. So I was under my van today and I followed two taped together plastic vacuum lines to right where the rear heat system is but they are no connected to anything at that end, but they were connected at the front end to a bulb of sorts with two places to attach the vacuum. I am slowly replacing all plastic lines with rubber hose so any help here would greatly appreciated. I did a search for the vacuum diagram and came up with nothing specific to our vans. Thanks Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • ???? Rear AC is cold front ac is cool ????
    by BadAsrto » August 15th 2020, 10:27pm in Climate Control
    8 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    August 16th 2020, 4:14pm
  • Rear heat not working
    by K-TRON » September 18th 2020, 3:51am in Climate Control
    2 Replies
    Last post by CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! View the latest post
    September 19th 2020, 5:25am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 28th 2020, 6:33am

Re: questions about heat/ac for an 89

Postby Lumpy » March 2nd 2017, 2:12pm

My 89 with rear heat and rear A/C -

No vacuum lines running rear of the engine except for the fuel evap. Nothing heat/AC related.

Pics of the "bulb"?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 5th 2017, 1:32am

I figure out what it is but there are two lines coming from it and then goes up to the large plug behind the battery (under it actually) however I found one plastic tube vacuum line that runs through the wiring harness on top of the radiator over to the passenger side of the van but it is just sitting there so whet does it go to?
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Lumpy » March 5th 2017, 2:31am

Sounds like fuel evap. Cannister thing under/near the battery, hoses running rearward to top of fuel tank? One of the hoses somehow gets vacuum from the intake manifold area somewhere - I think one of the four ports on the front of the TBI.

I had a "fail to pass smog" when one of those lines was cracked at the most inaccessible place, top of the fuel tank. At least I learned how to drop the tank.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » March 5th 2017, 3:35am

Is this 'bulb' that you are talking about go to the rear heat coolant lines? Because there is a vacuum controlled water valve for the rear heat. Page 1A-22 part 213 from the FSM.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 5th 2017, 7:05pm

Yes that is it. I believe the two vacuum lines run up to the firewall behind the battery-right?
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby AstroWill » March 5th 2017, 8:23pm

Yes sir.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 5th 2017, 8:31pm

its kinda odd but the two coming from there were routed by the PO towards the back of the van above the transmission that's where the confusion came from. But there is still one vacuum line running from the front drivers side to the front passenger side I have to figure out. I am going to take the switches and such apart one at a time and clean them since my blower stays on all the time when van is on accessories or running. I need to figure out why. I also seem to have no dash lights so they may be connected some how. Thanks for the help everyone. Mark.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer