Tips on heater control valve

Tips on heater control valve

Postby 01safari [OP] » April 13th 2011, 12:43am

I found that coolant is dripping off of the heater control valve on my van. From below I can see it. any tips on replacing it? I was thinking of buying on of those cable operated hose clamp tools to do the job. would it help?
Original Poster [OP]
01safari
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Heater control valve leaks- always the valve?
    by highfigh » February 24th 2021, 5:13pm in Climate Control
    14 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    February 27th 2021, 1:02am
  • Diesel heater exhaust
    by copperhead » October 13th 2020, 2:29am in Climate Control
    5 Replies
    Last post by Astrocurious View the latest post
    October 20th 2020, 11:47am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 2nd 2021, 6:16pm

Re: Tips on heater control valve

Postby chevymaher » April 19th 2011, 1:17am

Removal & Installation
The procedure described is for the standard valve, other variations are similar.
Remove the air cleaner.
Remove the upper fan shroud.
Drain the engine coolant.
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater inlet pipe (5) clamp from the heater water control valve.
Remove the heater inlet pipe from the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater outlet pipe (6) clamp from the heater water control valve.
Remove the heater outlet pipe from the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater inlet hose clamp from the heater water control valve.
Remove the heater inlet hose from the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater outlet hose clamp from the heater water control valve.
Remove the heater outlet hose from the heater water control valve.
Remove the bolt (3) that retains the heater water control valve (4) to the heater assembly.
Remove the heater water control valve
To install:
Install the heater water control valve (4) to the heater assembly.
Install the bolt (3) that retains the heater water control valve to the heater assembly.
Tighten the bolt to 35 inch lbs (4 Nm).
Install the heater outlet hose to the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater outlet hose clamp to the heater water control valve.
Install the heater inlet hose to the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater inlet hose clamp to the heater water control valve.
Install the heater outlet pipe to the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater inlet pipe (5) clamp to the heater water control valve.
Install the heater inlet pipe to the heater water control valve.
Using the hose clamp pliers, reposition the heater outlet pipe (6) clamp to the heater water control valve.
Connect the vacuum hose to the heater water control valve.
Fill the cooling system.
Install the upper fan shroud.
Install the air cleaner.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby 01safari [OP] » April 19th 2011, 3:11am

I was thinking of picking up a set like this to help with it

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 947390000P

Thanks for the write up, looks like from the top is the way to go. I guess now is the time to do the belt and tensioner also.

:banana:
Original Poster [OP]
01safari
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD

Postby chevymaher » April 19th 2011, 3:31am

Looks like a nice tool.I use radiator heater hose clamps and a small socket and driver(screw driver handle that fits 1/4 sockets).
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby RECox286 » April 20th 2011, 1:00am

Wow ! A new tool to find room for in my overflowing roll-around... (I love new tools.)

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby sfeaver » April 20th 2011, 2:39am

I got one of them.. They work slick!
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby scott936 » July 8th 2011, 2:08pm

Mine developed the same problem after I serviced the cooling system... I replaced 5 hoses, upper, lower, bypass, and the two hoses from the engine to heater valve. About a week later the valve started to leak :screaming: Now I'm having a big issue finding heater core hoses......
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo

Postby jsimon7777 » June 11th 2012, 6:02pm

I just replaced my valve. Here's a tip, though. Don't bother draining the whole cooling system. That's a long pain in the butt with hazardous material to dispose of. I bought some hose clamps from Harbor Freight and pinched off the hoses while I replaced the valve. Sure, some fluid ended up spilling, but there was already a mess of coolant from the leak, so no problem there.
jsimon7777
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full yearsjsimon7777 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: SLT XT AWD 8 Pass

Postby kumisukka » June 4th 2013, 12:24pm

Found it. It was heater valve that is dripping cooling liquid.
http://www.therupertsonline.com/jon/car ... G_0665.JPG
better image there.
kumisukka
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: kumisukka has been a member for 7 full yearskumisukka has been a member for 7 full yearskumisukka has been a member for 7 full yearskumisukka has been a member for 7 full yearskumisukka has been a member for 7 full yearskumisukka has been a member for 7 full yearskumisukka has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 4.3 EFI V6 2WD

Postby KitsapSteve » December 5th 2013, 8:33pm

does the HEATER CONTROL VALVE have to leak for a failure ?
KitsapSteve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: KitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » December 5th 2013, 11:24pm

KitsapSteve wrote:does the HEATER CONTROL VALVE have to leak for a failure ?

No it can not leak and not allow hot water to pass through it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby KitsapSteve » December 6th 2013, 12:45am

thanks for the quick reply, I just attempted to locate mine wow, it's buried under that black box...I am dealing with the Vacuum hoses first then to the HCV...
KitsapSteve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: KitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full yearsKitsapSteve has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):