cold A/C got hot fast-trying for cold again.

cold A/C got hot fast-trying for cold again.

Postby a2l1 [OP] » May 5th 2011, 5:15am

OK here is a challenge for all the A/C gurus here. The ac on the 95 has been screwed over since I got it. They did a junk yard motor replacement so that will give you an idea. I traced out the vacuum and got that working right. Had a few wiring issues, got those straightened out. Found the pipe not connected at the condensor, got that taken care of. The compressor wouldnt kick on, got that taken care of. Finally decided to give it a go. First put in a can of stop leak and a little oil. Followed with two cans of 134. The ac was blowing cold and the astro was a happy van again. In the morning the astro was sad --- the ac was blowing hot. Checked it with the single gauge and it was showing zero pounds but the clutch was kicking and the compressor was working. I double checked all the vacuum and checked that the heater wasnt on, you know all that sort. still blowing hot.
Decided to take a closer look so went to remove the lines on the back of the compressor to be sure the gaskets are good and it is all right back there. As I was loosing the clamp there was pressurized freon leaking out from a system that is supposed to have zero charge and blows hot.
So here is what I am going to do tomorrow. I am going to replace the orfice tube filter. Im thinking the thing is clogged and not letting the top half of the system to pressure up --- what do you think??? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks A j
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
Original Poster [OP]
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No heat has got me stumped
    by teafreak35 » October 24th 2020, 6:24pm in Climate Control
    3 Replies
    Last post by chevymaher View the latest post
    October 24th 2020, 10:57pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 4:26pm

Re: cold A/C got hot fast-trying for cold again.

Postby My1988Astro » June 11th 2011, 3:37pm

That sounds like a good idea to start. Before you do that put a set of gauges on the system and see where you're starting from pressure wise. THis will either confirm or deny your assumption. Good luck and be sure to keep us up to date. Thx!
1988 Astro CL - Newly tinted windows, upgraded headliner w/overhead console and a newly aquired rear party couch w/drink caddy! Now if I could just get MaMa to go to the drive-in with me! ;-)

Currently 90,125 miles :-)
My1988Astro
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: My1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full yearsMy1988Astro has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Swede's Boy
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: only 87635 miles

Re: cold A/C got hot fast-trying for cold again.

Postby a2l1 [OP] » June 12th 2011, 2:32am

Orfice tube filter was jammed. Guess alot of gunk got in when the system was open. I dont know how long the hose was off but no biggie. The filter was jammed and frozen in the tube and wouldnt come out --- so I drilled it out with a long drill bit and then hooked up the shop vac to it with some duct tape. Let it suck all the bits out by leaving it on for a while. I am sure I got all the little bits out. Put in a new filter and bolted it all back up. Didnt want to waste a bunch of freon so just used a single can with stop leak included ( $12 at big lots). System was blowing pretty cool. Let it sit overnight and the next day it was empty again --- but this time the stop leak had the "tracer" in it and I found the leak. The seal at the compressor clutch. I still havent fixed it but at least I know what and where. Maybe when I am feeling better I will pull the clutch and see if I can replace the seal but until then I am sweating in Florida.

A J
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
Original Poster [OP]
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD