And today's lesson is.....

And today's lesson is.....

Postby Astrocurious [OP] » April 26th 2017, 8:09pm

Check everything is out of the way before you screw in the doghouse.....

A few weeks ago I realised that my blower would only work on the defrost mode. Now this did work on all vents so I thought that it was either something I had done or maybe a perished vacuum hose.

I checked the engine bay and replaced a couple of suspicious ends but nothing worked - all hoses looked good.

Next step was to check the internal hoses. I had recently found a water leak and needed to check the carpet and underlay on the drivers side to make sure everything was still dry so today was a good time to do both.

If you are interested the water was coming from the windscreen past the rubber hood seal, down the firewall and into the joint where the firewall meets the wheel arch. This joint has a thick seam of body sealer which in my case had cracked allowing water to seep through into the cabin.

Back to the dog house. When I removed it I found that I had trapped the vacuum hoses and crushed them. This must have happened when I replaced my alternator a while ago.

I cut out the flat bits and jointed in some new lines and all is good. I have even cable tied them out of the way to avoid a repeat incident.

I didn't bother repairing the yellow hose because it was capped off at the internal connector. In the engine bay the yellow hose does go to a diaphragm which is strange, I will trace it through at some point. I suspect the diaphragm controls the flow to the rear heater.

The carpets were dry so new underlay was put in the drivers footwell and carpet put back.
Original Poster [OP]
Astrocurious
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Astrocurious has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrocurious has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrocurious has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Mirage conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: And today's lesson is.....

Postby nonhog » April 26th 2017, 9:07pm

I am still learning the Astro ways. I felt good getting the dog house off and out w/o removing either seat but I see its easy to disturb things that way too.
I spent a few minutes looking at my PCV valve hanging there wondering why.... Duh I just did that. LOL
Recovering hoarder
My Slow build..... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=107426
nonhog
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: nonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Re: And today's lesson is.....

Postby Leeann_93 » April 26th 2017, 11:33pm

Oops. At least it wasn't an expensive lesson.

I've gotten pretty good at grabbing all the vacuum lines with one hand while I shove the doghouse forward with the other...I guess I'm paranoid about that.

Having said that, I forgot to reconnect the AC compressor when I replaced the spider a few weeks ago. That lesson sucked.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD