Rumble/Vibration when compressor kicks in?

Rumble/Vibration when compressor kicks in?

Postby DOcean [OP] » July 17th 2011, 5:29pm

What would cause a (more than normal) vibration when the A/C compressor kicks on? The vibration isn't serious/violent, but it is annoying. I know some vehicles always vibrate annoyingly when the A/C turns on, but I'm experiencing an abnormal vibration that has slowly gotten worse since I've owned the van. A/C works fine.

I'm wondering if the serp belt tensioner might have something to do with this... :shrug:
Original Poster [OP]
DOcean
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: DOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Rumble/Vibration when compressor kicks in?

Postby redfury » July 17th 2011, 5:54pm

DOcean wrote:What would cause a (more than normal) vibration when the A/C compressor kicks on? The vibration isn't serious/violent, but it is annoying. I know some vehicles always vibrate annoyingly when the A/C turns on, but I'm experiencing an abnormal vibration that has slowly gotten worse since I've owned the van. A/C works fine.

I'm wondering if the serp belt tensioner might have something to do with this... :shrug:

Well, you could watch the engine while someone kicks the A/C on and see if you are getting it out of the belt.

Beyond that, I'd want to put a set of gauges on it and see what they say..look for a vibrating needle that might indicate worn reed valves, etc.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby DOcean [OP] » July 17th 2011, 6:15pm

redfury wrote:Well, you could watch the engine while someone kicks the A/C on and see if you are getting it out of the belt.

"Getting it out of the belt"? What does that mean? A stretched/worn belt could cause this?
Original Poster [OP]
DOcean
Years of Membership: DOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full yearsDOcean has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » July 17th 2011, 6:34pm

DOcean wrote:
redfury wrote:Well, you could watch the engine while someone kicks the A/C on and see if you are getting it out of the belt.

"Getting it out of the belt"? What does that mean? A stretched/worn belt could cause this?

seeing if the vibration is caused when the compressor kicks in and sends a shudder through the belt. You'd see the tensioner try to adjust for the movement. You could simply have a tensioner that is bad and isn't working properly. I've had that before. Belt was tight, but the tensioner was solid and I had to replace it when I replaced the belt when the A/C locked up on me ( probably due to belt tension )

Easy enough to do, get a 3/8's ratchet or breaker bar and see if you can move the tensioner.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby DOcean [OP] » July 24th 2011, 9:43pm

Tested today. Tensioner appears to be good. Full range of motion with a moderate amount of "spring".

Belt is worn, but not stretched.

One thing I noticed was the tensioner was moving as the vehicle idles. Is it supposed to "bounce"?
Original Poster [OP]
DOcean
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » July 24th 2011, 10:37pm

DOcean wrote:Tested today. Tensioner appears to be good. Full range of motion with a moderate amount of "spring".

Belt is worn, but not stretched.

One thing I noticed was the tensioner was moving as the vehicle idles. Is it supposed to "bounce"?

No there not supposed to bounce. Usually that a pulley or belt issue.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby DOcean [OP] » July 26th 2011, 10:26pm

What would be the cause of tensioner "bounce", and would the tensioner bounce also be the cause of my vibration?
Original Poster [OP]
DOcean
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » July 26th 2011, 11:10pm

DOcean wrote:What would be the cause of tensioner "bounce", and would the tensioner bounce also be the cause of my vibration?

A pulley that is siezing.Grabbing(bearing locking for a second)spin all pulleys and tensioner pulleys make sure they spin freely without singing or popping.Belts sometimes just get hard in places when they get old.Resist bending to different degrees in different places.A pulley grabbing jerking as it spins would cause a vibration.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser