90 Astro needs R134 Conversion Help

90 Astro needs R134 Conversion Help

Postby Br0theralex [OP] » July 20th 2011, 9:42pm

I havent seen this discussed here.
I have a slight freon leak as i need a small can or gas every year. i have no AC right now and its over 90 deg at times.

My 90 Astro needs an R134 Conversion.

I use to see kits around but maybe i just need fittings, oil, seals & R134 gas??

How should i go about this lil project?

please help.
"@ 150,000 mi - I will not let this Astro Van Die "
Original Poster [OP]
Br0theralex
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Br0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • AC help
    by Freddy :) » May 8th 2020, 10:38pm in Climate Control
    10 Replies
    Last post by Freddy :) View the latest post
    May 18th 2020, 6:33am
  • Need Help Identifying Part
    by smercado212 » August 7th 2020, 12:01am in Climate Control
    4 Replies
    Last post by tonydobbs View the latest post
    August 7th 2020, 2:30am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 24th 2020, 5:49am

Re: 90 Astro needs R134 Conversion Help

Postby Phantom » July 20th 2011, 10:43pm

Determine where the leak is , then you have choices to make as to how much you replace for maintenance, since you will need to have the system evacuated , remove all freon then replace with r134 , ,,since you have a leak you can use dye to detect where the leak is , replace all the o-rings seals , and likely the dryer with orifice tube,(changing this now will save money later) if you don't change it now then you find out it needs to be changed you will have to pay the expense to have system evacuated and recharged a second time because each time you disconnect any line you allow moisture into the system thus requiring a evacuation/recharge , on a 90 it best to just replace all at one time to save money and time. Any parts store will have the r134 conversion kit which is basically adding the r134 schrader valves
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Br0theralex [OP] » July 21st 2011, 2:06am

Phantom wrote:Determine where the leak is , then you have choices to make as to how much you replace for maintenance, since you will need to have the system evacuated , remove all freon then replace with r134 , ,,since you have a leak you can use dye to detect where the leak is , replace all the o-rings seals , and likely the dryer with orifice tube,(changing this now will save money later) if you don't change it now then you find out it needs to be changed you will have to pay the expense to have system evacuated and recharged a second time because each time you disconnect any line you allow moisture into the system thus requiring a evacuation/recharge , on a 90 it best to just replace all at one time to save money and time. Any parts store will have the r134 conversion kit which is basically adding the r134 schrader valves

ok thank you.

is the dryer the same as the orifice tube? where is the orifice tube? where is the dryer?

I once read that the R134 uses different oil. dont i need to replace the oil in the compressor?
Original Poster [OP]
Br0theralex
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Br0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full yearsBr0theralex has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » July 21st 2011, 3:46am

Some links for pics , The dryer is a can looking thing where the inlet for the r134 goes in the schrader valve , this is a top view

http://marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfil ... i=54195476

vids for the orifice tube ,, an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaaJSU26 ... ure=relmfu

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/parts/ ... _tube.html
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Br0theralex [OP] » July 21st 2011, 8:02pm

Phantom wrote:Some links for pics , The dryer is a can looking thing where the inlet for the r134 goes in the schrader valve , this is a top view

http://marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfil ... i=54195476

vids for the orifice tube ,, an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaaJSU26 ... ure=relmfu

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/parts/ ... _tube.html

ok the receiver. I know what that is, just a little to much retired from that work.

Ok, now what about the oil?? do I need to drain the oil from the compressor and add oil that is more compatable with R134?
Original Poster [OP]
Br0theralex
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » July 22nd 2011, 3:39am

Br0theralex wrote:
Ok, now what about the oil?? do I need to drain the oil from the compressor and add oil that is more compatable with R134?

Depends on how you decide you want to do it ,,meaning since almost nobody has expensive freon/r134a reclamation equipment at home ,,,,as explained about moisture damage when system is opened ,,,the smartest and most dependable method to service A/C is to have the system evacuated and recharged with a reclamation machine , it sucks out all the old refrigerant including all the moisture and then recharges with fresh new refrigerant , it is all done automatically by the machine . there are some people who try to do it all with homemade gadgets , myself ,I will replace the leaking component . seals or any part in the system , then take it to a shop and have the machine do all the rest , that way I know the system has no moisture and proper amount of r143a charge in it for best operation as any moisture in system can also prevent the system from providing the coldest possible a/c , overcharging can also prevent the system from getting as cold as it should , the oil is already in the refrigerant , now if you had changed the entire system including the evaporator core and condenser and compressor you then would need to add oil , but if you have a good system that only leaks one can a year you only need a charge , a good practice is to run the a/c a few times during winter to keep the refrigerant compressed under pressure , which is a reason the a/c comp should run when the defroster is on
Phantom
Alias (AKA):