Coolant Flush Question

Coolant Flush Question

Postby banner1124 [OP] » July 30th 2011, 7:45pm

I have a 1996 GMC safari. I'm going to change the thermostat and figured since I'm going to do that I may as well go ahead and flush the cooling system. I can't seem to find any indication that this engine has a coolant drain plug. Does anyone know if there is a drain plug on the engine for the cooling system? If not, what's the best way to ensure I completely flush the system?
Original Poster [OP]
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: banner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Re: Coolant Flush Question

Postby paintdrying » July 30th 2011, 7:48pm

I still have not found one. I pulled the bottom hose, and that was no fun either.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Phantom » July 30th 2011, 8:06pm

AS I recall , I think I seen one on the bottom of the tank on the drivers side , plastic tab , but lately I have done it with removing the lower radiator hose at the connection of the radiator . Radiator will empty in about 1-2 minutes.
With the coolant recovery bottle removed out of the way it is rather easy to grab a hold of the hose remove it and put it back on ; reaching down from the top inside underhood twist it a little first to loosen it , put a pan underneath the hose and it will catch the coolant coming out . Might as well empty the coolant recovery bottle and clean it out too :)
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby banner1124 [OP] » July 30th 2011, 8:42pm

I think maybe I posed my question improperly. As far as a drain plug on the radiator if there isn't one then that's fine I'll just go the lower radiator hose route. However, I was wondering more about drain plugs on the engine block. Do these vans have engine block drain plugs?

Kinda starting to think they don't have drain plugs. If not, how do you drain the block on these things? Also, I'm wondering if I backflush the system will that get any gunk out of the rear heater core as well, or do I need to do something special to get the rear heater core flushed?
Original Poster [OP]
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: banner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby RECox286 » July 31st 2011, 4:11am

I doubt if the 96 is all that much different than the 93 engine block that I have. Look on each side of the block, just under where the heads attach, and around the middle of the fore and aft ends of the block.

There should be 2 ea 1/4" plugs ( one on each side) that you can remove with the aid of a socket, extension and ratchet. On the starter side, look just in front and to the top of the starter.

You definitely do want to take these plugs out, and if no liquid flows, stab the holes with a sharp object to punch through the sediment. I personally prefer to replace these plugs with radiator drain valves

so that it is easier to do the next time. I also use a short length of 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit pipe, which I notch at one end to fit the wings of the valves, that serves as a handy "wrench". It is easier

to grab, gives better twisting capability, and allows a channel for the hot liquid to run down, rather than scalding my bare hand.

Good hunting, and let us know how you make out.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]