2000 Astro no heat, blend door?

2000 Astro no heat, blend door?

Postby thelackof [OP] » December 12th 2017, 4:11am

Drove my van from CO to VA and 6 hours before arrival, my heat starts blowing cold air.
Took my van in for an oil leak fix and mentioned the heat and when I got the van back, my heat was already on and blowing hot air.
Simply turned it off.

Several days later, I drove the van back from VA to CO.

I realized that only option 4 is working and only out of the top dash, even when set on feet or front or etc.
When I turn the heat off, the van was blowing very hot air during my entire trip.
Left it in the off position and just kept cracking my window for the trip.
AC also was not working.

After I arrived back in CO, the next day, my van no longer blows any hot air at all.

but now, the 1-4 options work again and the position knob (feet, front, etc) also work.
but just blowing cold air, even in the off position.
and the cold/hot knob does nothing.

Van has rear and front heat and both blow cold.

Took it into a local shop and they told me the labor could be several hundred $$ alone and that I should research online and do it my self
and they suggested a "blend door"?

When the hood was opened, they pointed out two tubes coming from my coolant tank that were hot.
They pointed out another object on the far right that was also hot.

and then, in the center left, there was a thin tube line that when moved, you could hear air coming out of it.
Guy said that could have something to do with it.

Please, any online videos that would help me to fix this my self?
and what exactly do you think is the problem with my heat and AC?

How should I go about fixing this?
and what is that line that is leaking air?

Thank you!
Original Poster [OP]
thelackof
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: thelackof has been a member for 3 full yearsthelackof has been a member for 3 full yearsthelackof has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 2WD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 2000 Astro no heat, blend door?

Postby AstroWill » December 12th 2017, 4:53am

While the front does have a blend door, the rear does not. Start with your vacuum lines, get >$10 worth of vacuum lines and start replacing, one at a time. https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... ac-airflow

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby smokinjoe » December 12th 2017, 5:26am

It could be the heater valve. Its vacuum driven and bad vac lines would cause a no heat condition.
For sure get a diagram and replace vac lines. I had to replace a lot of them on my 02. They were turning to powder.
On my 95 I just bypassed the heat valve Cut the hoses and threw it away. Spliced the hosed back together and had awesome heat.
You need to find your heater valve and look at the lines going to it and other vac lines.
smokinjoe
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Old Barney » December 12th 2017, 12:23pm

Any way to cheapen up the works. For many years cable control was used successfully Then cheap and fast during the building of an auto get it out the door CHEAPLY. Yeh it lasted 17 years But the control's in my son's 1950 chevy deluxe still works just fine!! The 1956 Olds I owned with AC worked fine both heat and air?? So not only is vacuum easy to install down the line and cheap it doesn't last for ever as we would like. Plastic parts are formed by heat and destroyed by heat.
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: awd