rear fan doesnt work- upfitter issues?

rear fan doesnt work- upfitter issues?

Postby safari kev [OP] » September 21st 2011, 6:52pm

When I bought my van, the rear fan didnt work. I took a look at it, and it was locked up. so I went to the junkyard and got a replacement fan, which works perfectly. now heres the problem: my van is a conversion (explorer- from '99/ '00) and they hacked into the factory wiring for their aftermarket fan (fan connections clip into factory harness from switch under dash by fuse box).
the upfitter wiring has no power and I've checked all the fuses (even the one hidden in the wiring run). heres the other problem- the factory fan plug works- all the time. it does not shut off, even when the van itself is off (odd because I thought the fans were controlled by switched power, not constant). I have been unable to trace the path of the power for the factory fan plug, so I cant figure out why it won't turn off. I have tried replacing the dash "rear fan" switch with a known good "rear AC" switch and I still get nothing. Anyone got any ideas?
00 safari high top conversion- 219k
95 astro conversion- 114k
97 safari slx- totaled "surfin' safari"
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham 67k 350/built 200r4, turbine rims, buckets and console
83 buick lesabre 69k miles
Original Poster [OP]
safari kev
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: safari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full yearssafari kev has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: explorer hi top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: rear fan doesnt work- upfitter issues?

Postby Lumpy » September 21st 2011, 11:38pm

Quite often, the expedient way to "repair" a weird wiring job is to simply run new wires.
Instead of trying to hunt down this and that and figure out why it doesn't have power,
simply run new wires to the appropriate ALWAYS HOT or HOT W IGN. Install an
inline fuse where appropriate. You can even use the existing wire if you can
verify that you have both ends of the same wire (like going to the rear fan).
That's usually a little simpler than running a new wire all the way from dash
to rear of the van.

"I have an Ohmmeter and I'm not afraid to use it"

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo