Turning AC compressor into on board air compressor

Turning AC compressor into on board air compressor

Postby Elroy [OP] » May 13th 2018, 10:46pm

Hey guys! Back when I had a 1st Gen 4runner I bumbled into a guy who modified the hell out of his Toyota same year pick up, and one thing he did which I though was genius was to mount a small air tank behind his rear bumper with a quick connect on it and lines running from his AC compressor to fill it up with. With this set up he was able to fill the tank with the ac controls as he was pulling into a trail head after wheeling for the day and air up his tires before getting back on pavement. Wondering if any of you guys have seen something like this or tried a similar thing.

I removed the rear ac condenser on my 01 LS when I turned it into a work van/camping rig and in doing so evacuated the system and have been rolling around with no AC in it (I live in CO and can live without the AC. Atter growing up in the Midwest, these summers are nothing !) Plus, I’ve come up with a cheap DIY AC system using an insulated 6 gallon bucket and lid, a usb 5inch fan, and some pvc fittings, but was thinking of making use of the ac compressor somehow. I’m thinking of trying to put a quick connect fitting on a line coming off of the ac compressor that I could use when 4 wheeling or for any other compressed air needs (DIY solar shower when camping, airing up mt bike tires, repairing plugged car tires, etc...)

Any suggestions, tips, links that might help, or offers to do it for me???
Original Poster [OP]
Elroy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Elroy has been a member for 5 full yearsElroy has been a member for 5 full yearsElroy has been a member for 5 full yearsElroy has been a member for 5 full yearsElroy has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Elroy
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Turning AC compressor into on board air compressor

Postby dramey » May 13th 2018, 11:48pm

Go to a junk yard and get the air compressor off of anything that has level control like a Chevy Uplander or Pontiac Montana.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby MalcolmLaurel » May 14th 2018, 2:25am

Back when I had my Jeep CJ5 I had onboard air with an air conditioner compressor. Used it to air up tires, run air horns, and a homemade traction control system. My Jeep never had A/C, I bought the compressor and brackets from a junkyard off an AMC Eagle.

Most A/C compressors aren't suitable to be used as air compressors, as the oil is mixed with the Freon, you'd have to constantly add oil to the air intake and it'd then go into whatever you're pumping air into. The older York (piston) compressors have an oil filled crankcase instead; those are suitable. In general if the compressor is round it won't work, if it's square it will.

You'd need a pressure switch (and at least a small tank if you don't want it cycling on and off rapidly). A pressure relief valve is also a really good idea.
MalcolmLaurel
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: MalcolmLaurel has been a member for 2 full yearsMalcolmLaurel has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: Provan Tiger RV

Postby AstroWill » May 14th 2018, 6:09am

With all of the quality 12v compressors now available, is it worth it?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Leeann_93 » May 15th 2018, 11:03pm

AstroWill wrote:With all of the quality 12v compressors now available, is it worth it?

That's my question.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby WimpTech » May 15th 2018, 11:51pm

From an engineering perspective its a neat proposition and I've seen it done on many older Jeeps with the YJ's compressor bracket.

Personally.. I concluded it was not worth the trouble for me on one of my YJs and just bought the $50 LAPS compressor that still works today... 6 years later. My fancy Viair OBA system failed long ago... as did the ARB.

:2:
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby costman13 » June 8th 2018, 1:39am

My brother and I did this with 94 ford explorer once the AC stopped working... You have to make sure there is an inline oiler (think pneumatic tool oiler) between the intake and compressor. It worked better than my ARB compressor did!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/ind ... ir.190966/
Cam Östman
costman13
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: costman13 has been a member for 2 full yearscostman13 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Cam
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4x4 - np233c

Postby multimoto » June 8th 2018, 2:06am

how much p.s.i. can an A/C compressor build up?

saw a air cooled VW 4 cylinder that one side was converted to an air compressor while the other side still ran normal for a portanble air compressor. that was cool.
'87 GMC Safari Explorer
multimoto
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: multimoto has been a member for 2 full yearsmultimoto has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer

Postby costman13 » June 8th 2018, 7:51pm

We used a 85-125psi pressure switch and It took no time to fill our 5 gallon tank and kick off the compressor. Our blowoff valve was 150 psi I believe. I'm sure if you had a robust enough holding tank and a higher pressure switch, you could get more out of it.
Cam Östman
costman13
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: costman13 has been a member for 2 full yearscostman13 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Cam
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4x4 - np233c