Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Location of high and low refrigerant pressure switches

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  N6KB 
#1 ·
I'm troubleshooting failure of my a/c in 2005 Astro. The compressor clutch is actuating intermittently. Probably have a leak I need to fix and then evacuate and recharge the system. I can see where one pressure switch is located on the accumulator, but I have not found the other one. Where is it? And which one is high pressure and which is low pressure?

#2 ·
I highly recommend grabbing the GM Techline eSI, aka digital factory service manual(see link in sig).

High side switch is on the back of the compressor.

#3 ·
AstroWill said:
I highly recommend grabbing the GM Techline eSI, aka digital factory service manual(see link in sig).

High side switch is on the back of the compressor.
Searching is a good bet too.

Thread asking where the AC Low pressure switch is located

And the answer from that thread;

Big_kid said:
It's under the hood, on the accumulator(the aluminum "coffee can"). It is round and has 2 wires coming of it. They're green, IIRC.

#4 ·
N6KB said:
The compressor clutch is actuating intermittently. Probably have a leak I need to fix...
99% chance you have a leak and are simply low on freon, which cause the compressor to cycle. This is common and expected.

About the only ways I know to pop the high side is to loose your fan while idling (no air flow across the condenser) causing a massive spike in high-side pressure. Blockage in the system would likely cause this condition as well.

Buy a set of gauges (cheap online or even locally) and see what the problem is. If you're going to do your own A/C work.. this is essential. Of course you can also just go to Walmart and buy an R134 refill kit with gauge (only tells you about low side).. good for a novice quick fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.