A/C gauge set has Schrader valves inside hoses

A/C gauge set has Schrader valves inside hoses

Postby N6KB [OP] » September 23rd 2019, 5:51am

I just received a pressure gauge manifold hose set to use on my 2005 Astro A/C system. As with most of these sets there are three hoses, blue, red, and yellow for the low pressure, high pressure and vacuum pump or Freon charge. There appear to be Schrader valves inside one end of each hose. I cannot figure out why they are there. The valves are not blocking flow through the hoses, although they probably do restrict the flow somewhat. Connecting the hoses to the manifold or to the test port adaptors does not push on the Schrader valve center pins to actuate them or open them further. They do not seem to work as one way valves or really do anything other than offer some resistance to gas flow. I guess I'll just remove them. Don't understand why they are in there in the first place. The single page of instructions that came with the set does not mention them at all. Anyone seen this in a gauge/manifold/hose set or know what their purpose may be?
Original Poster [OP]
N6KB
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: N6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): N6KB
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No heat has got me stumped
    by teafreak35 » October 24th 2020, 6:24pm in Climate Control
    3 Replies
    Last post by chevymaher View the latest post
    October 24th 2020, 10:57pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 3:00am

Re: A/C gauge set has Schrader valves inside hoses

Postby AstroWill » September 23rd 2019, 12:02pm

Just the valve depressors. It has to be able to depress the schrader when installed. My old set has them, my new r410a set has a screw in depressor on both the high and low side.

The ends that connect to the manifold shouldn't have anything in them other than their seal. Are you sure you bought the right thing? Maybe post some pictures.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Leeann_93 » September 23rd 2019, 10:48pm

As Will said, they're not Schrader valves, they're the depressors for the Schrader valves you connect the hoses to.

The side of the hose with no pins goes to your manifold.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby N6KB [OP] » September 24th 2019, 9:34pm

Yes they are depressors. There are no Schrader valves for them to depress in either the gauge manifold or the test port adaptors that came with the set. I suppose these hoses are also sold with other sets that have valves that need to be opened by the depressors. What is really depressing though is the R134a can adaptor. The center pin is not long enough to open the can, and I cannot get any more freon into the system.
Original Poster [OP]
N6KB
Years of Membership: N6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » September 24th 2019, 9:56pm

There's something new about the R134a cans. My husband's cousin was telling us about it when he brought over his '06 Liberty for us to test...there's a new thing you have to put in between the adapter and the can. Shut-off valve, maybe? Round blue spin-on thing...crap. Let me look...

EDIT: found it.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7653 ... 4a+adapter

New cans have self-sealing valves, old cans didn't. So old can taps are piercing-style and new ones are for the self-sealing cans. The above adapter lets you use an older piercing can tap with a new, self-sealing can.

Or you can just get a depresser-style can tap.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby N6KB [OP] » September 27th 2019, 7:33pm

Got the cheap plastic adaptor for the new style self sealing cans at NAPA. Not impressed with the setup, but it is usable. Could not get enough freon into the system to get the high pressure gauge up to 200 PSI because the compressor continued to cycle on and off. The solution was to ground the switched ground end of the A/C Compressor relay coil with a little wire wrapped around that pin of the relay and connected to a chassis ground screw. This kept the compressor operating continuously so I could finally get the pressure back up. The system is now working and with the ground wire removed the compressor stays on when it needs to.
Original Poster [OP]
N6KB

Postby Leeann_93 » September 27th 2019, 10:57pm

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed, either, but it does work. I'll get a new can tap at some point to replace the old+adapter.

Glad you got it all working, though.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 27th 2019, 11:05pm

Congrats! Glad to hear that you got everything working.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby N6KB [OP] » September 29th 2019, 3:02am

After I got it working using the cheapo plastic adapter for the Freon can and the test port connectors that depress the Schraders on the car as soon as you plug them in, the better can fitting and test port connectors with open/close knobs on them arrived. So next time I'll be better equipped. One more feature I wish my set had is purge valves to purge the air out of the lines before charging the system. The only way I know to do it with my present setup is to loosen the hoses on the test port fittings and let a bit of Freon flow before tightening them back up. I don't see purging the lines mentioned in every description of how to charge your system, and I wonder how many people contaminate their systems with air from the manifold and hoses because they don't think about purging the hoses first.
Original Poster [OP]
N6KB

Postby AstroWill » September 29th 2019, 5:11am

N6KB wrote:The only way I know to do it with my present setup is to loosen the hoses on the test port fittings and let a bit of Freon flow before tightening them back up.

Yep, that is standard practice.
N6KB wrote:I don't see purging the lines mentioned in every description of how to charge your system, and I wonder how many people contaminate their systems with air from the manifold and hoses because they don't think about purging the hoses first.

There are a lot of things that aren't mentioned either because the instructions assume that you have some training, or it's amateurs that didn't know/forgot to mention it.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby MechBob » September 29th 2019, 5:26am

"Topping off" the system is not a normal or approved procedure.The only way to properly repair an A/C system is measure the refrigerant,by weight,or(old way) see the luqid in an sight glass.But,hey,most of us have done it.The proper procedure is to use a recycling machine(I think Will pointed this out). But,bleeding the lines a bit,till the refrigerant seeps out is what most do,however illegal.
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4