What A/C Compressor should I purchase?

What A/C Compressor should I purchase?

Postby nolatrader33 [OP] » February 11th 2020, 6:42am

Hello,

I'd love to get someone's advice on what A/C compressor I should purchase. Figured I would ask the experts since I've had bad luck in the past purchasing the wrong type of part(s) which ended in frustration after tearing everything down to find out I had the wrong part :roll:

I have a 2002 Chevy ASTRO RWD with REAR A/C

I attached a photo from Rock Autos website that shows the different compressors available for my vehicle. I noticed some of the brands have different options or features.

Also, I've been told when your A/C compressor goes out that I may need to replace other A/C components due to the possibility of metal shavings that may be in the line. If this is true, what other A/C components will I need to replace?

Thanks!

Original Poster [OP]
nolatrader33
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): trader33
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 v6

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: What A/C Compressor should I purchase?

Postby chevymaher » February 11th 2020, 1:28pm

They make bolt on filters for the metal shavings now. Much cheaper than replacing all that crap and also more reliable. Because the replacing parts does not guarantee shavings are not in other parts of the system.

Compressor you need is dependent on which it has they have different manifolds. It is a pain I know and I am not familiar with the newer vans.

Best resource for this is a good seller on e bay. they have what fits what. Then you have to get the serial number on the compressor.

I just went through what you are with my Tahoe there were 3 different compressors for it. I ended up personal messaging the seller he knew which one it was.

Year engine size(yea I know they all the same)and rear air or not are the 3 things you got to enter in the boxes.

Engine size is a criteria. Older vans had several type engines. tbi etc. it is just what they want to know to make their search work.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby nolatrader33 [OP] » February 12th 2020, 7:44am

chevymaher wrote:They make bolt on filters for the metal shavings now. Much cheaper than replacing all that crap and also more reliable. Because the replacing parts does not guarantee shavings are not in other parts of the system.

Thanks for the info. I'll look on ebay and see what they come up with. Regarding the metal shavings, would my year van (2002) have the bolt-on filter or is this an aftermarket add on?
Original Poster [OP]
nolatrader33
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby chevymaher » February 12th 2020, 12:50pm

It is a aftermarket add on. It goes on before the lines.

It is a pain to find them but they got them for everything. I got one for my Tahoe that was eating compressors. Never did it again.

This image is from a autozone ad. I got mine off of E Bay.

Stick it out find the one for yours it is worth it.

compressorgaurd.jpg
compressorgaurd.jpg (18.26 KiB) Viewed 371 times
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » February 12th 2020, 3:11pm

nolatrader33 wrote:I attached a photo from Rock Autos website that shows the different compressors available for my vehicle. I noticed some of the brands have different options or features.

For that I like to search the GM parts sites, can search by year/model/etc or by VIN. You will probably find that you have an HT6 compressor(96-05), then use that part number for a cross reference to which one you want to buy.
nolatrader33 wrote:Also, I've been told when your A/C compressor goes out that I may need to replace other A/C components due to the possibility of metal shavings that may be in the line. If this is true, what other A/C components will I need to replace?

Depends on why you are replacing the compressor, if it's the most common problem, a leaking seal, then you may not. You will have to pull/replace the orifice anyway, so you will get a glimpse of what is going on there.
Don't forget a new receiver/dryer as well.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
In 2016 ~66mil voted for Clinton, ~63mil voted for Trump and ~100mil(eligible) didn't vote Make a difference - register+vote!
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby nolatrader33 [OP] » February 12th 2020, 7:58pm

Thanks for the advice!
Original Poster [OP]
nolatrader33
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)