Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

AC PSI for switch to engage

880 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
What minimum PSI is needed to engage the low pressure switch? I have jumped the switch and my compressor engages. The relay works as I switched it out on the headlight position and it functions. I replaced the low pressure switch but no magic. I have about 33 PSI. Is that too low to trip the switch?

#4 ·
AstroWill said:
justoneman said:
What minimum PSI is needed to engage the low pressure switch? I have jumped the switch and my compressor engages. The relay works as I switched it out on the headlight position and it functions. I replaced the low pressure switch but no magic. I have about 33 PSI. Is that too low to trip the switch?
That is too low, the low pressure cycling switch is usually about 45-50psi.
I tried to fill up with the simple can set up. Obviously my system was too depleted. i will take it in to have it professionally charged up. Thanks!

#6 ·
AstroWill said:
If it's low on refrigerant then it definitely has a leak, that should be fixed before charging.
I took the Astro in to have it charged. They did a leak down test. System was fine and was replenished. Now I have an Astro that runs nice and has AirCon. Next move I have to deal with the ABS sensors and the re-upholstery of the nasty seats and the nasty headliner.

#7 ·
Awesome! Just in time for it to start heating up across the country.
I mean, it IS a sealed system, the refrigerant can't go anywhere but out. Any oil stains around the compressor/joints/etc? Hopefully it's such a small leak that it will be a long time before you have to deal with it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.