No heat from rear passenger floor heater

No heat from rear passenger floor heater

Postby DJWerkz [OP] » May 26th 2012, 10:50pm

I have rear heat option on my 1998 Astro, all speed settings work fine on the rotary rear heat switch but only cold air blows out from rear floor vents, any ideas?

Regards,

Craig
Original Poster [OP]
DJWerkz
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: DJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 2WD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: No heat from rear passenger floor heater

Postby chevymaher » May 26th 2012, 11:13pm

Somebody bypassed the hot water going to it because it was leaking.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Re: No heat from rear passenger floor heater & other problem

Postby DJWerkz [OP] » June 20th 2012, 7:07pm

Further information provided as other problems have arisen:

Previously front blower/heat control worked fine but I have noticed while driving that when I have the airflow set on vents the air output is almost non-existent, then at others times at the correct speed. Then last night I got no air from vents at all, speed control works as you can hear the blower motor increasing/decreasing in velocity as you turn the switch but the airflow switch does nothing, airflow will only exit via the windscreen vents no matter where you set the airflow switch.

Temperature switch seems to be ok as I can adjust temperature properly.

Looking forward to receiving your help.
Original Poster [OP]
DJWerkz
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: DJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full yearsDJWerkz has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » June 20th 2012, 7:14pm

Vacuum line that controls vents is leaking or the check valve is clogged.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby DJWerkz [OP] » June 20th 2012, 7:28pm

Cheers buddy, will take a look tomorrow and report back.
Original Poster [OP]
DJWerkz
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » June 21st 2012, 5:21am

Also, you may find that the 6 way valve has gotten clogged up. You may want to disconnect the heater hoses going to the rear heat and see if you can back flush them with a garden hose as well as take a good look inside the passegeways for the heater control.

Easiest fix would be the rear heat solenoid died ( they do ) which is on top of the heater valve assembly, and you can simply bypass that and draw straight vacuum to the valve underneath it to open it up and allow coolant to flow. That would be your first step, especially since you are having other problems with your heat. Likely there is something wrong with the vacuum as it is if you are getting on again, off again heat control or it's only blowing through the defrost ( default setting when vacuum is lost ).

This is all too common on these vans. My particular van had the rear heat disconnected completely ( no valve or anything left! ) when the guy installed the V8. He just used front heat and bypassed the valve and rear heat.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby DJWerkz [OP] » June 22nd 2012, 11:50pm

Greetings!

Thanks for the additional comments/suggestions. The vacuum hoses were very corroded, rubber resembled burnt toast to the touch and crumbled away lol. I replaced the vacuum hose that runs from top of engine located just behind the AC compressor (had to get my 12 year old boy to get his skinny arm in there to disconnect and re-connect it) plus any others I could see and get access to. This has fixed the problem with blower only blowing out of defrost vents so that's great.

All hoses to rear heat seem to be connected as per original factory installation, i.e. no signs of anyone having tampered with them/capped them off. 6 way valve looks original and solenoid is too so I will try the suggestions of bypassing it.

Best regards from the UK.
Original Poster [OP]
DJWerkz
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):