AC Compressor works...BUT does not work!

AC Compressor works...BUT does not work!

Postby tntv [OP] » June 15th 2012, 7:54pm

So I took the 2000 Astro to the shop to have mechanic replace compressor which hadn't work for a year. He called back and said the compressor actually is fine but there is an electrical issue, i.e., fuses, connections are fine but the compressor won't turn on with controls. He has had the van for three days and can't find out what the problem is. Anyone ever heard of or had an issue like this? He was able to "jump" the compressor to run it. Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
tntv
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: tntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full yearstntv has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: AC Compressor works...BUT does not work!

Postby MuRKRoW » June 15th 2012, 8:16pm

I had this same problem for a while. I would turn my AC on, but the clutch on the compressor would never engage. Mine wouldn't turn on until after I had the system recharged. Maybe that's your problem as well? I don't know the AC system too well yet so I can't give you a list of things to check! But make sure your system is charged up to the correct pressure :pray:

EDIT: I also just looked at another thread and it had this video:

In the video, they say to add a can of refrigerant if the clutch on the compressor is not spinning (which is the same as what I said above).
MuRKRoW
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: MuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full yearsMuRKRoW has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Alex
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 127K

Postby redfury » June 16th 2012, 2:47am

The compressor will not run if the pressure switch doesn't see enough pressure in the system, which is what he is bypassing to get the compressor to run. The switch may be bad if the system has been charged and is holding the charge. Of course, he should know that if he's a Certified mechanic and monkeying with A/C.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Leeann_93 » June 16th 2012, 4:01am

The pressure cycling switch can and will go bad. It went bad on my Bravada.

Hint: get the AC Delco switch. The aftermarket switches won't necessarily thread in properly or work properly. I learned the hard way...
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby bdar34 » August 1st 2012, 8:41pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope all are doing well! I am new to the Forum but certainly not new to many of the issues that come up with the Chevy Astro. My Astro is a 97' and I wanted to post to get everyone's take on an issue that I am having with the AC Compressor. I am on my 4th compressor in a short length of time, and I am not sure what the issue is.

Last July 2011, I took the van into my mechanic's shop to have the AC Compressor changed out because there were a few leaks in the system and the AC stop leak treatments were not working anymore. This was the original factory compressor. He changed out the compressor along with the Evaporator/Dryer and other parts in the system.

So then, fast forward to this May 2012, the replacement compressor starts making noise where the clutch was squeeking/slipping and there was a burning smell coming from the AC and the AC was blowing hot. I brought it in to the mechanic, and he changed out the compressor along with all the other parts originally changed under warranty. So I get the car back and then 2 days later that compressor does the same thing. I take it back, and he changes out everything else along with the air hose this time, and then within a matter of days the same thing happens again.

Bring it in once more, and the manufacturer/supplier of the compressor he was using tells the mechanic that it may be an electrical issue. However, the battery and alternator tested fine, and the voltage going to the compressor tested fine according to the mechanic. So I asked him to get me a standard new compressor from Auto Zone instead of from his supplier, and he put that in and everything was working fine for about 2 weeks.

Was drving the Astro yesterday with the Auto Zone compressor and it started blowing hot air for 2 or 3 minutes and then it turned cold again and stayed cold. I don't want this new compressor to burn out again, and so I am trying to think of what else could be the problem. I did some reading on the forum, and the only things I can think of are the High and Low Pressure Cycling Switches. I spoke to the mechanic and he did not change those out. Can bad cycling switches damage the AC Clutch that quickly? What does everyone think? I really do appreciate the info. Thanks!

BDar
bdar34
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: bdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full yearsbdar34 has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: V6

Postby sfeaver » August 3rd 2012, 3:23am

I had this problem on an old Buick. The connector on the high presure switch on the back of the compressor was loose. Evntually took out the coil. There is a clip that pushes in so it cant come loose, you could check that you have it. If missing maybe its a touch loose.. Happened to me, but not sure if all that common.
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby chevymaher » August 3rd 2012, 11:13am

bdar34 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Hope all are doing well! I am new to the Forum but certainly not new to many of the issues that come up with the Chevy Astro. My Astro is a 97' and I wanted to post to get everyone's take on an issue that I am having with the AC Compressor. I am on my 4th compressor in a short length of time, and I am not sure what the issue is.

Last July 2011, I took the van into my mechanic's shop to have the AC Compressor changed out because there were a few leaks in the system and the AC stop leak treatments were not working anymore. This was the original factory compressor. He changed out the compressor along with the Evaporator/Dryer and other parts in the system.

So then, fast forward to this May 2012, the replacement compressor starts making noise where the clutch was squeeking/slipping and there was a burning smell coming from the AC and the AC was blowing hot. I brought it in to the mechanic, and he changed out the compressor along with all the other parts originally changed under warranty. So I get the car back and then 2 days later that compressor does the same thing. I take it back, and he changes out everything else along with the air hose this time, and then within a matter of days the same thing happens again.

Bring it in once more, and the manufacturer/supplier of the compressor he was using tells the mechanic that it may be an electrical issue. However, the battery and alternator tested fine, and the voltage going to the compressor tested fine according to the mechanic. So I asked him to get me a standard new compressor from Auto Zone instead of from his supplier, and he put that in and everything was working fine for about 2 weeks.

Was drving the Astro yesterday with the Auto Zone compressor and it started blowing hot air for 2 or 3 minutes and then it turned cold again and stayed cold. I don't want this new compressor to burn out again, and so I am trying to think of what else could be the problem. I did some reading on the forum, and the only things I can think of are the High and Low Pressure Cycling Switches. I spoke to the mechanic and he did not change those out. Can bad cycling switches damage the AC Clutch that quickly? What does everyone think? I really do appreciate the info. Thanks!

BDar

This one sounds like it needs to be evacuated. A good long one. Acid boils out slowly. Moisture goes pretty quick. Half hour or so. Sounds like when the original compressor burned out it caused a acid/moisture build up. Excessive heat from hot bearings going out, converts refrigerant to acid and moisture. And it is eating up the new compressors inside. Acids and moisture cause a high pressure spike in side the system, and the high pressure switch kicks out.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser