1993 safari ac/compressor quit working

1993 safari ac/compressor quit working

Postby rmtech02 [OP] » July 4th 2012, 6:03pm

Hello,

I have looked over the posts but dont find what pertains to me anywhere, here's the problem and what i have done, any help would be appreciated :)

I have had the van for 2 years now, and the compressor has kicked on and off every 10 seconds the entire time it is on....it was relatively cool so it wasnt an issue until Saturday when the compressor quit kicking on....

1. I checked the fuse...i checked all the fuses in the fuse block, and they are all fine.

2. I had the system evacuated of the old freon and put the new type in there to the correct amount.

3. I checked the pressure switch it has continuity, and i jumped it to check and see if the compressor kicked on...nothing.

Question 1: When i check the connection at the compressor(two wires), and have the AC on and blowing, i dont get any voltage there, or continuity.....should i be getting 12 volts there or something??

Question 2: The repair manual shows there is an under hood fuse box...i don't see one anywhere.

Is there anyway to "cheat" the compressor clutch to see if thats what the problem is?

Thanks, and have a safe 4th,
Randy
Original Poster [OP]
rmtech02
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full yearsrmtech02 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Randy
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1993 safari ac/compressor quit working

Postby chevymaher » July 4th 2012, 7:09pm

The plug at the clutch. One side should read ground. With the system on the way you described the other side should have 12V.

Clutch is probably fine your not getting juice to it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Re: 1993 safari ac/compressor quit working

Postby Speedsmile » July 4th 2012, 7:13pm

1. The compressor should get 12 V when A/C is turned on, since the 12 V activates the electromagnetic clutch.

2. Check if you get 12 V at the two wires for the low pressure sensor, from what you describe there isn't probably any. Which could point to a fuse, but it depends on the exact wiring for your year.

3. The underhood fusebox is located just left above the battery, bolted to the top section of the firewall. It has two 'click mechanisms' on each side.

Hope it helps, good luck!
Speedsmile
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Speedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full yearsSpeedsmile has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro