AC compressor will not shut off

AC compressor will not shut off

Postby Knrichter [OP] » March 20th 2013, 1:29am

I just got my van back from the shop-

I happened to pop the hood to check the oil and noticed my ac compresor lines and canister to the firewall were completely iced up-

I started it up, turned off the heat/ac and blower. As I looked around the engine compartment, noticed the compressor was running (obviously from all the ice on the lines), the clutch was spinning as if the ac was on.

Any suggestions?? Bad relay maybe, but why would it keep running?

I ended up unplugging the plug on top of the compressor just to stop it. Another thing that puzzeled me was when the blower was running, sometimes it would come out of the vents, and sometimes not. This at an idle.

Any help would be appreciated-

Oh did I forget to mention I've had this since '03 and have racked up approx. 200K miles- Maybe time to retire it.

Thanks,
Ken
Original Poster [OP]
Knrichter
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Knrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Ken
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Gladiator Conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: AC compressor will not shut off

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » March 20th 2013, 1:57am

Switch panel that controls the blower motor, hot/cold function and vents.
It is probably shot. And it is time for a trip to the junkyard.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby sfeaver » March 20th 2013, 3:45am

Try unplugging the plug from the sensor on the accumulator (silver can near evaporator core). This is the low pressure switch. When low side drops to around 19 psi it should open and tell PCm to turn off the compressor. When it rises to around 40psi it tells the PCM the compressor is needed. Then the PCM increases idle and adjusts timing, and energizes the A/C compressor relay. This is so the motor is ready for the load of the compressor and you dont feel it.

But, by unplugging it and it turns off will tell you that switch is bad. That can be changed without draining A/C system. If not, check the A/C relay and wiring.

Scott
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby Knrichter [OP] » March 20th 2013, 12:01pm

Ah - thank you. I will try that. I'm not ready for the junkyard as of yet. This van has been great to me and my family. We've driven it all over the country. No motor issues- it's still pretty strong for 245K. The body has no rust and the interior is in good shape, nice wood grain,lighting,captain chairs and fold down bench. My kids call it the time machine due to the original VCR and old school TV installed with the conversion pkg. I would love an upgrade though. Maybe a full size 08-09.

Thanks again
Original Poster [OP]
Knrichter
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Knrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full yearsKnrichter has been a member for 7 full years

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » March 20th 2013, 12:16pm

I meant trip to the junkyard as go get new switch panel for your van. OMG look at mine I never say die and just keep fixing her.
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Knrichter [OP] » March 20th 2013, 12:52pm

I was about to get offended with that junkyard comment :)
Everybody always asks "when are gonna retire that van"-
I think they're a little envious in some weird way...
Original Poster [OP]
Knrichter
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » March 20th 2013, 12:58pm

Knrichter wrote:I was about to get offended with that junkyard comment :)
Everybody always asks "when are gonna retire that van"-
I think they're a little envious in some weird way...

For me to say it is ready for the junk yard it would have to be hit by a train several times.

I saw that you thought I meant junk it. I am the last to ever say that. I just meant go get the switch panel and put it in I think that is where the compressor staying on gremlin is hiding.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Big_kid » March 20th 2013, 1:14pm

The pressure switch on the accumulator wouldn't cause the compressor to run with the controls in the off position. That switch will turn the compressor on & off while the control is in the on position, but it has no power source of it's own to cause the compressor to come on. I'm with Chevymaher on this one, time to look at the AC control panel in the dash.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby thegreenmachine » March 20th 2013, 7:24pm

the ac also turns on if your selector switch is on defrost, even if you have the heat cranked.

when I was a kid, I told my mom that the defrost in the crown vic sucked, when it was rainy. She told me to run the ac on defrost as it dries the air, and will defrost much faster. newer cars do it by themselves, the only position In my '03 that doesn't turn the ac by default is the floor location.
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby sfeaver » March 22nd 2013, 3:02am

I missed that part where it was said knob was in off position.. Maybe not electrical at all.. Clutch not releasing? Still could be A/C relay welded in on position.
sfeaver
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8