steaming radiator leak/overheating

steaming radiator leak/overheating

Postby da_driver_ [OP] » May 2nd 2013, 6:02pm

but now i have a new problem not sure if i should put this into another catergory but i was helping my sister move yesterday and on the way back on the freeway the van starts to overheat the temp goes pass the 260 mark :shock: and by the time i see that i get off the next exit and as im getting off the van cuts off on the exit i barely make it off the exit ramp :banghead: :doh: onto the street so i kan pull over and let it cool down for about 30 or 45 minutes and filled it up with water as i was broke and water was the only thing i could get my hands on and it starts back up and i hit the freeway back home and it happens all over again sameway as the first time :banghead: :o :crying: ...there was alot of steam coming from somewhere on the driver side of the radiator but i can't see where excatly the steam is coming do you think i should just replace the radiator and maybe thermostat
Original Poster [OP]
da_driver_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: da_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Re: steaming radiator leak/overheating

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 2nd 2013, 6:09pm

It is the radiator.
When it cool fill it and just let it run with the hood up. Once it reaches running temp it will leak from where ever like a sieve.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby da_driver_ [OP] » May 2nd 2013, 6:30pm

chevymaher wrote:It is the radiator.
When it cool fill it and just let it run with the hood up. Once it reaches running temp it will leak from where ever like a sieve.

should i fill it while the its running or off...also it reachs running temp real fast then starts to redline thats when i see the steam start to come out...i dont see like heavy leakage coming from anywhere but kind hard to tell when putting in water
Original Poster [OP]
da_driver_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: da_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full yearsda_driver_ has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 2nd 2013, 8:11pm

If the engine is cold just fill it. Start it and when the gauge moves the level will drop. Fill it and.put the cap on.
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Corsemoto » May 2nd 2013, 8:16pm

From other thread...

da_driver_ wrote:
Corsemoto wrote:Rent a pressure test kit from auto parts store, that should help pinpoint leak location.

it sound like this is somewhat of a common problem but i think im going to look into renting that pressure test kit so if it leaking it not even worth trying to flush the radiator huh

Corsemoto wrote:Yep first step is to find where it is leaking from, pressure test is way to go that way you're not dealing with hot water. Test the cap too. I see you started another thread for this so will head over there...
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby redfury » May 3rd 2013, 12:27am

good chance just adding more fluid you'll find the leak. Look by the water pump, the lower radiator hose and possibly the heater core valve.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby RECox286 » May 3rd 2013, 2:17am

If it is leaking on the driver side, check where the upper hose connects to the radiator. There is a known problem with nylon tank of the radiator

in that the hot water cracks the tanks when hit with the really hot water when the T-stat opens over time. Look for a crack on the upper front side of

the radiator tank. Probably where you will find it. If you can't see it, fill the rad, and then pressurize it with a coolant system pressure

tester, then look for liquid in that area.

Good hunting

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby smokinjoe » May 3rd 2013, 5:37am

When I had a similar issue it turned out to be a failed radiator CAP. It is a very important part of the system as the pressure keeps the fluid from boiling out.

I now always travel with an extra new cap. But for sure you may have bigger issues, but still get a new cap.
smokinjoe
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: RWD

Postby redfury » May 3rd 2013, 5:42am

Ah, I was thinking passenger side....look for a crack in the radiator underneath and around the neck for the upper radiator hose. Sometimes the stress from the radiator hose can tweak on that and cause it to fail. Also look around where the aluminum crimps around the drivers side plastic tank connects to the radiator core, the gasket may have failed.

Beyond that, you may have to take the upper part of the radiator shroud off to see if you don't have an actual leak in the core itself from something being kicked into it by the fan or just plain old corrosion.

Either way, there's a good chance you'll need a new radiator. I'd recommend Amazon.com for the Delphi radiator they list for the van. Shipping was free and it beat the price of anything I could get locally, not to mention it's an OEM manufacturer.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Corsemoto » May 3rd 2013, 6:05am

Just a heads up, but my experience was completely different and I don't recommend the Delphi RA1200 radiator as the two I got from Amazon last year both leaked from new and was just a hassle to deal with replacing radiators and coolant three times, though Amazon was great to deal with. In fact, I notice they aren't listed as available any longer so maybe it was a defective batch - the seams were corroded on both of mine. After the two Delphi r&r's, I went with a Vista Proliance 432750 (right around $100 from Amazon right now) which has been great, appears as good or better quality and comes with new fittings for cooler lines. What do they say? Third time's a charm...

This also didn't stop me from purchasing a replacement Delphi fuel pump from Rock Auto when I needed that, I mean what are the odds? :pray:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » May 4th 2013, 1:22am

Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye on mine. I didn't have any problems out of the box. My old radiator cracked around the inlet due to the wrong upper radiator hose putting outward pressure on it. That was corrected with the proper hose to the best of my experience so far.
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Corsemoto » May 4th 2013, 1:31am

Yeah, I'm sure you would have noticed the white corrosion all along the seams where plastic ends are crimped to the aluminum radiator.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby da_driver_ [OP] » May 4th 2013, 5:13am

thanks guys for all the input...so i tried refilling the radiator with water with the van off and once it was full i started it up and looked to see i could see any leaks this time no steam but it look like all the water just started pissin or pour out the driver side of the radiator and it also looked like it was leaking from the waterpump as well now
Original Poster [OP]
da_driver_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » May 4th 2013, 4:38pm

Oh boy, lucky you ! Did you try a cold water/pressurization ?

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby da_driver_ [OP] » May 4th 2013, 4:52pm

RECox286 wrote:Oh boy, lucky you ! Did you try a cold water/pressurization ?

Uncle Bob

no have not tried the cold water pressurization yet
Original Poster [OP]
da_driver_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby da_driver_ [OP] » May 7th 2013, 5:53am

well i think i see the milkshake of doom today...i put more water in the radiator so i can move the van to the other side of the street for street sweeping but first i let it warm up to is it was going to start overheating i stayed in the middle for a while so i took it around the block to see if it started to heat up it did start to rise a lil bit but it dropped back down and i let it run a lil bit before i cut it off but something told me to check the dipstick and what i found to my horror was a milky brown dipstick...water has done leaked into the oil and i believe that i have blown the headgasket and it still leaks a lil bit from what i believe is the waterpump...what do guy suggest i do now
Original Poster [OP]
da_driver_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 7th 2013, 7:27am

Take it apart.
If you don't it going to lockup soon.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby RECox286 » May 7th 2013, 5:12pm

^^^^what he said. (You can pay me now, or PAY me later kind of thing ... Hopefully you caught it early enough.)

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby da_driver_ [OP] » May 8th 2013, 5:33pm

now that sucks considering i only bought the van no more than 3 weeks ago...i wouldnt mind breaking it down myself but dont really have a place to do it and dont really have the funds to take it to a shop but also dont wana give up just yet does the headgaskest in a bottle work or bad idea i hear i can get another 9 0r 10 thousand miles out of her which i think would be long enough for me to save for a good used engine if i just use the van for local use
Original Poster [OP]
da_driver_
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 8th 2013, 5:49pm

Depends on how bad it is. If you change the oil everytime it gets nasty it may last a while. But if it a bad leak It wont last long no matter what you do.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Next