Blower Motor/Resistor/Connector replaced - Still no air/heat

Blower Motor/Resistor/Connector replaced - Still no air/heat

Postby jg550 [OP] » December 21st 2013, 12:41am

Hey guys, yes, this another "Crap it's cold and my heat just died" post. :)

I have a '98 LS with 128k miles on it. At the start of the summer I had some A/C issues, but nothing that wasn't fixed by replacing a couple of vacuum lines. More recently, it seemed that the heat was taking too long to warm up and that I wasn't getting as much airflow as I should. I wondered if I had a thermostat or vacuum issue. Before I got to really look into that, the blower motor died. First the low settings, and then finally the high speeds died an incredibly noisy death. Once that happened, there was no response from the system at all.

The blower had basically fallen apart, so I changed out the blower motor, hoping for the easiest fix (aside from cutting that damned cover off the old one!). However, after putting in the new one and having nothing happen, I noticed that the board on the resistor was fried, and that the lead spot on the connector had melted. Today I replaced the resistor and wired in the new connector, and as I expected, still no air through the vents. The blower is definitely not spinning. What has changed though, is that now when I mess with the dials, I can hear all the doors opening and closing (i.e. floor vents, mids, defrost) and I get that typical little "psshh" sound too.

Next steps please?? lol

P.S. The van has rear air also. Am I correct that aside from vacuum line(s) from the engine, that this system is fully independent from the front system? Because the rear seems to work just fine, aside from not blowing warm air.....
Original Poster [OP]
jg550
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Blower Motor/Resistor/Connector replaced - Still no air/

Postby snapper388 » December 21st 2013, 12:46am

do you have power going to the blower? if you do then you may have a bad ground on the blower motor.
snapper388
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: snapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full yearssnapper388 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 Mark III 2wd

Postby Herman Wiegman » December 21st 2013, 3:35am

JG
The front blower is powered by the following:
1) low blower settings powered by Fuse 12, HTR-A/C, 20A
2) high blower setting powered by Fuse M3, A/C-MAX, 35A and relay by the blower

note: there is also a ground point on the resistor/relay board which needs to go to chassis, other wise no juice will flow.

Do you have a Haynes Manual? I could send you the schematic if you want.

Herminator
Herminator, Niskayuna, NY.......1999 Safari 4.3L SLE (RWD)
Eaton Gov Lok LSD 3.23:1.........Timbren bump stops
Monster 4L60E rebuild ..............Electric fan & FelPro gaskets
Herman Wiegman
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Herman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Herminator
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L RWD

Postby thegreenmachine » December 22nd 2013, 1:59am

Checked the fuse???

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby jg550 [OP] » December 29th 2013, 6:07am

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I should have known that retail management, a couple of little kids, and Christmas would mean that I wouldn't have any time to get under the hood!!

Hooked the blower up to the battery and it worked perfectly. I had checked the 20A fuse down by my feet back when I started having issues and it was fine, but checked it again since installing the new parts and it was shot. So now it looks like I'll have some heat heading to work tomorrow! High is not working, but that is likely just the 35A fuse that Herminator was talking about?
Original Poster [OP]
jg550
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full yearsjg550 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS RWD