How to fix No Air from Vent / Vacuum / Intermittent AC Issue

Re: How to fix No Air from Vent / Vacuum / Intermittent AC I

Postby Rookie162 » December 13th 2016, 12:47am

WoodButcher wrote:It might fix the problem. To test it if you block that line the vent controls should be functional, if not you have more leaks than that one hose. Odds are good if one section of vac hose is rotten you'll find more.

Omg! You guys are an unbelievable help you cannot understand the frustration I had all it took me was $4 in vacuum line and I redid the T fitting with new line and connected it to the vacuum ball and I have heat coming out of my vents and every other vent at my feet thank you so much you do not understand how grateful I am thanks again here are some pictures to prove what I did
Attachments
14815859768362088075075.jpg
20161212_183407.jpg
Rookie162
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Rookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): Mel
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby gordo999 » December 13th 2016, 12:54am

Rookie162 wrote: I hope its jus those 2 sections on the T.

If you look at your photo rotated 90 degrees CW, you can see the hose in your hand curl back to the bottom of the tee. It goes under a clamp and into the bottom of the tee. The hose on the right with the right angle connector is the main vacuum line to the motor. It's a thinner line but I replaced it with a bigger hose. I think it had a 5/32" ID.

Don't know what year your van is but it looks like the same AC setup as my 2001. The larger silver canister is the dryer and the smaller silver cylinder behind it is a muffler on the hose going to the intake port on the AC compressor.

You'll need to pull the doghouse to access the engine vacuum line since it follows the AC hose round the back of the motor. If you follow the hose attached to the smaller silver cylinder it goes round the back of the motor in a loop and circles back to the compressor. It goes right past where the vacuum port is located on the 2001 Safari. I lightly zapped the vacuum hose to the AC hose so as not to kink it. I think the AC hose has an insulator around it. If you zap it onto the AC hose insulation it keeps the vacuum hose away from the exhaust manifold.

When you reach the vacuum port, which is on the driver's side of the motor at the PVC valve, go right past it and curve back to the vacuum port in a gentle loop. You'll need quite a few feet of hose to replace it and if the hose does not have the right angle connectors you'll need to route it in a gradual curve so it attaches to the engine vacuum port without kinking. Same at the tee. The hose has to be routed straight into the tee. If it's not routed straight it will kink and cut off the vacuum.

It's tough getting a 5/32" ID hose onto the vacuum port so I smeared some vaseline on the port tube and used some long nose pliers to push it on. Be careful not to plug the hose with vaseline.

If yours is a 2001 or thereabouts, the other hose on the tee goes to a boot on the firewall. I think the boot is 8 on the drawing. I don't know if that's the case on your van. It's a short hose, no more than a foot, and it attaches to the boot using an insert tube which pushes into both of them.

There is a smaller hose coming out of the boot as well that goes to the actuator on the heater recirc valve. If you use the same size hose throughout you'll need an adapter like the one on the other hose to fit the larger hose into the boot where the smaller one goes.
gordo999
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Cargovan 4.3 RWD

Postby Rookie162 » December 13th 2016, 1:04am

gordo999 wrote:

If you look at your photo rotated 90 degrees CW, you can see the hose in your hand curl back to the bottom of the tee. It goes under a clamp and into the bottom of the tee. The hose on the right with the right angle connector is the main vacuum line to the motor. It's a thinner line but I replaced it with a bigger hose. I think it had a 5/32" ID.

Don't know what year your van is but it looks like the same AC setup as my 2001. The larger silver canister is the dryer and the smaller silver cylinder behind it is a muffler on the hose going to the intake port on the AC compressor.

You'll need to pull the doghouse to access the engine vacuum line since it follows the AC hose round the back of the motor. If you follow the hose attached to the smaller silver cylinder it goes round the back of the motor in a loop and circles back to the compressor. It goes right past where the vacuum port is located on the 2001 Safari. I lightly zapped the vacuum hose to the AC hose so as not to kink it. I think the AC hose has an insulator around it. If you zap it onto the AC hose insulation it keeps the vacuum hose away from the exhaust manifold.

When you reach the vacuum port, which is on the driver's side of the motor at the PVC valve, go right past it and curve back to the vacuum port in a gentle loop. You'll need quite a few feet of hose to replace it and if the hose does not have the right angle connectors you'll need to route it in a gradual curve so it attaches to the engine vacuum port without kinking. Same at the tee. The hose has to be routed straight into the tee. If it's not routed straight it will kink and cut off the vacuum.

It's tough getting a 5/32" ID hose onto the vacuum port so I smeared some vaseline on the port tube and used some long nose pliers to push it on. Be careful not to plug the hose with vaseline.

If yours is a 2001 or thereabouts, the other hose on the tee goes to a boot on the firewall. I think the boot is 8 on the drawing. I don't know if that's the case on your van. It's a short hose, no more than a foot, and it attaches to the boot using an insert tube which pushes into both of them.

There is a smaller hose coming out of the boot as well that goes to the actuator on the heater recirc valve. If you use the same size hose throughout you'll need an adapter like the one on the other hose to fit the larger hose into the boot where the smaller one goes.

My van is a 02

And my issue is fixed, i dont need to do anything else to get the climate control knobs to now work!

I will say that my REAR HEAT is on high and the vent directly behind me in the middle back bench foot area is blowing cold....while the rear vents over the back doors arent blowing any ar at all.....now to figure this out. Any ideas?
Rookie162
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Rookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full yearsRookie162 has been a member for 3 full years

Postby kennysmoke » December 13th 2016, 1:48am

Rookie162 wrote:
gordo999 wrote:

My van is a 02

And my issue is fixed, i dont need to do anything else to get the climate control knobs to now work!

I will say that my REAR HEAT is on high and the vent directly behind me in the middle back bench foot area is blowing cold....while the rear vents over the back doors arent blowing any ar at all.....now to figure this out. Any ideas?

Rear heat coolant control valve is not opening. It's located on pass side under hood behind coolant jug.
"Live Free Or Die" Image
kennysmoke
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): kennysmoke
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD Tow Pakage

Postby Rookie162 » December 13th 2016, 2:19am

How do i fix that now?
Rookie162
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby gordo999 » December 13th 2016, 3:18am

Rookie162 wrote:How do i fix that now?

I fixed mine by taking the recirc unit out and moving the valve till it freed up. If you examine the actuator you may be able to move the lever it operates to free the internal water diverting valve(s). Don't know, it's hard to see never mind get at.

It's a hassle. Mine had 4 hoses but yours will likely have 6 hoses, 2 for the rear heater. It helps to have a tool to expand the hose retainer clips. I have a tool with the jaws on the end of a cable. You pull a trigger to actuate the jaws and it can get into areas other tools can't.

The entire unit can be taken out if you find the mounting bolt. A mirror with a flashlight helps to see where the bolts is located.

If you take the hoses off to get the unit out be sure to mark where they go.

Before doing all that, check the smaller diameter hose going from the boot (8) on the firewall down to the heater recirc unit. Mine pulled out of the boot. It could be leaking or the actuator it operates could be faulty or jammed due to the valve inside the recirc unit.

I could suck on the hose and operate the actuator. If the valve is jammed it won't move.

I think the valves jam from rust and gunk from the water. Or, get a new unit with a new actuator.
gordo999
Years of Membership: gordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » December 13th 2016, 4:04am

Rookie162 wrote:How do i fix that now?

LOL, see the can of worms you opened?

These things are addictive. If you really want to dig in it might be worthwhile for you to get a FSM, factory service manual otherwise just hang out here and all will be explained.
The tool Kenny is talking about needs a picture, a description will just confuse you.

Kenny,,,,,

:angry-tappingfoot:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby gordo999 » December 13th 2016, 6:39am

WoodButcher wrote:The tool Kenny is talking about needs a picture, a description will just confuse you.

Kenny??? who dat???

Here's an example of the tool. It has different views. Note the jaws on the piece at the end of the cable. The jaws attach to the hose clamp jaws. Squeeze the handle and it ratchets the hose clamp jaws open and holds them open.

Don't know about the price.

Got mine at Princess Auto in Canada.

http://www.banggood.com/630mm-Remote-Action-Radiator-Hose-Clip-Bundle-Clamp-Tool-Hose-Clamp-Plier-For-Fuel-Oil-Water-Hose-Removal-Tool-p-1026764.html
gordo999
Alias (AKA):

Postby gordo999 » December 13th 2016, 6:51am

WoodButcher wrote:just hang out here and all will be explained.

Some people got nothin' better to do with their time. :lol:

I stripped my entire vacuum system down including the dash with all the actuators. I got at the heater recirc unit when I had the AC evaporator out. I know how frustrating it can be tracking down the hoses and all. Figured it was easier to explain it once and for all.

I've actually got heat now.

BTW...did you read my post where I confessed to forgetting to reconnect a hose clamp on one recirc unit hose and the hose popped off on me in the middle of nowhere? I was up to my elbows trying to get long nosed vice grips onto the hose clamp to slide it back on while watching for bears sneaking up on me.

First thing I did when getting to civilization was go to NAPA for hose clamp pliers. They did not have the type I wanted and sent me to Princess Auto.
gordo999
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rookie162 » December 13th 2016, 5:09pm

I think im bringing the van to the dealer on that note.....sounds too intricate me for with my big hands
Rookie162
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby gordo999 » December 13th 2016, 6:23pm

Rookie162 wrote:I think im bringing the van to the dealer on that note.....sounds too intricate me for with my big hands

The problem there, as you know, is the problem I described may not be the problem. I responded to another post that the water recirc unit is under the hood by the water bottles. That was the problem with my lack of heat from the heater.

If you get an unscrupulous dealer they could run up the bill pretty fast.

It's not as bad as it sounds, depending on your tolerance level. My mitts are over-sized as well and I had little problem accessing everything once I had a good look at it. It's more tedious, getting at the various bolts and hoses.

I did not need the special tool when I did the work at home. I was able to remove the recirc valve enough to access the 4 hose clips with long nose vice grips. I bought it mainly for emergencies on the road and also to access the larger hose clamps on the main water hoses from the radiator. They are really hard to get at with vice grips.
gordo999
Alias (AKA):

Postby WimpTech » December 13th 2016, 6:58pm

Rookie162 wrote:I will say that my REAR HEAT is on high and the vent directly behind me in the middle back bench foot area is blowing cold....while the rear vents over the back doors arent blowing any ar at all.....now to figure this out. Any ideas?

First off, lets take care of something up front...
The newest of these vans in the entire world is 11 years old, so our vans need to be worked on, and getting someone to work on them is expensive. Therefore, if you want to keep the van and not spend a fortune like I did at first, you need to learn the basics and do them yourself. This is a perfect opportunity.

Learn to remove the doghouse. You will need to do this to accomplish many tasks, like replacing the vacuum lines. Its daunting at first but do it once and you will be a pro there after. I used this video to learn the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUHsBCmFGE
Remember, I was a rookie like you here only ONE tiny little year ago, but I read a lot and learned from the good folks here... and by not being intimidated by it all.

Now, to your specific questions...

Rear vents over the back doors are for rear AC only, not heat, so you're good there.

You need to replace ALLthe vacuum lines under the hood since that valve is vacuum operated and you might not have enough vacuum to pull it and the vents. It could also be stuck like explained above. These valves like to disintegrate so if it hasn't been replaced yet, might wanna go ahead and do it before it breaks on its own and strands you like it did to me... on 2 different vans. The tool referenced above is a must have for these @#$% squeezy clamps, get one, they are cheap.
I believe this is the replacement part you are looking for (also available at your LAPS)
Link: http://a.co/fq8D7HA

Replacement isn't too bad. Remove the upper fan shroud to get to it (leave the bottom one alone or god will punish you). Then mark the hoses or take a picture of it all like suggested above and the rest is easy. I did it on the side of the road once in 105deg heat and with a few very basic hand tools, took about an hour.

Keep at it and don't let it intimidate you. Please post your progress so we can follow along at home.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

-Wimpy
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby Rookie162 » December 14th 2016, 1:47am

Wimpazz wrote:
Rookie162 wrote:I will say that my REAR HEAT is on high and the vent directly behind me in the middle back bench foot area is blowing cold....while the rear vents over the back doors arent blowing any ar at all.....now to figure this out. Any ideas?

First off, lets take care of something up front...
The newest of these vans in the entire world is 11 years old, so our vans need to be worked on, and getting someone to work on them is expensive. Therefore, if you want to keep the van and not spend a fortune like I did at first, you need to learn the basics and do them yourself. This is a perfect opportunity.

Learn to remove the doghouse. You will need to do this to accomplish many tasks, like replacing the vacuum lines. Its daunting at first but do it once and you will be a pro there after. I used this video to learn the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUHsBCmFGE
Remember, I was a rookie like you here only ONE tiny little year ago, but I read a lot and learned from the good folks here... and by not being intimidated by it all.

Now, to your specific questions...

Rear vents over the back doors are for rear AC only, not heat, so you're good there.

You need to replace ALLthe vacuum lines under the hood since that valve is vacuum operated and you might not have enough vacuum to pull it and the vents. It could also be stuck like explained above. These valves like to disintegrate so if it hasn't been replaced yet, might wanna go ahead and do it before it breaks on its own and strands you like it did to me... on 2 different vans. The tool referenced above is a must have for these @#$% squeezy clamps, get one, they are cheap.
I believe this is the replacement part you are looking for (also available at your LAPS)
Link: http://a.co/fq8D7HA

Replacement isn't too bad. Remove the upper fan shroud to get to it (leave the bottom one alone or god will punish you). Then mark the hoses or take a picture of it all like suggested above and the rest is easy. I did it on the side of the road once in 105deg heat and with a few very basic hand tools, took about an hour.

Keep at it and don't let it intimidate you. Please post your progress so we can follow along at home.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

-Wimpy

I think ill go for it bud!

Thanks for words of encouragement
Rookie162
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby WimpTech » December 14th 2016, 2:01am

Last edited by WimpTech on December 14th 2016, 3:17am, edited 1 time in total.

WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years

Postby gordo999 » December 14th 2016, 2:39am

Rookie162 wrote:I think ill go for it bud!

Good deal.

About your long quotes, hit the 'quote' button at the top of the post to reply. Highlight just the text you want to quote and hit the tab at the top of the edit window named Quote. It will add special brackets to the front and end of the quote so your selected text will be highlighted in a window in the reply. Repeat for each section of text you want to quote.

You may have to delete the text you don't want. I just copy/paste the brackets stuff that's already there after you hit the quote tab to reply and delete what I don't want.

For URLs, copy/paste the URL to your reply, highlight the URL by dragging your mouse over it, and hit the URL tab at the top of the edit page. It will add brackets around the highlighted URL so it's active in your reply.

You can use the preview feature to check for accuracy with your quotes.

That way readers know what you are talking about without the entire post being re-posted.

I don't use a lot of the features available and maybe someone who does could add more info.
gordo999
Alias (AKA):

Postby gordo999 » December 14th 2016, 2:43am

Rookie162 wrote:Thanks for words of encouragement

On looking at your post again, you seem to have the quoting down, you're just not deleting the portion of the original post you don't want.
gordo999
Alias (AKA):

Postby Broseph » January 21st 2017, 12:33am

I had the same problem of the fan not working on high and not blowing out of the front of the dash. This post helped tremendously. I had everything taken apart to remove the factory stereo. I immediately found the culprit vacuum hose as described...most of it was missing. I got a replacement for like $5, plus replaced all the other small vacuum lines. The weird thing is there was one coming out of the side of the valve that the broken one plugs into that went to nothing :? See pic. After I got everything put back together I was stoked because the stereo all worked and sounded great....but the vacuum problems still persisted. Hmmm. Being the slow genius that I am I went and put a screw in the "hose to nowhere" and what do you know? It all worked! Does anyone have info on what that hose/line is supposed to go to? Vacuum ball?

Broseph
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Broseph has been a member for 3 full yearsBroseph has been a member for 3 full yearsBroseph has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby WimpTech » January 21st 2017, 12:40am

Yup, pretty sure, vacuum ball. Is it currently hooked up? Little hard to see , pass side, down low, by the frame and wheel well in the engine compartment

WimpTech

Postby Broseph » January 21st 2017, 12:51am

I searched high and low for a vacuum ball. Couldn't find one. The screw works...eh that is before I put it in, no Hi setting for the fan and no air through the front vents, as others in this thread have described exact same problem. But with the screw in there they work. However on lower than Hi setting from time to time it sounds like there is probably a hamster going around and around on a hamster wheel.
Broseph
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Broseph has been a member for 3 full yearsBroseph has been a member for 3 full yearsBroseph has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby WimpTech » January 21st 2017, 12:56am

No fan on Hi is usually the fan resistor, common problem. Its right behind the bottles.Pull/ clean the connector first, on mine I have to wiggle it every so often.

Link: http://a.co/2smgVD1

WimpTech

PreviousNext