How to fix No Air from Vent / Vacuum / Intermittent AC Issue

Re: How to fix No Air from Vent / Vacuum / Intermittent AC I

Postby Broseph » January 21st 2017, 1:06am

Oh yeah, I replaced those too. But I was going to post about that on the other thread. As well as the window motor driver side. The only problem that remains with the fan/air is the sound from the dash on occasion. Kinda sounds like a little trap door opening and closing lightly.
Broseph
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Broseph has been a member for 3 full yearsBroseph has been a member for 3 full yearsBroseph has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby WimpTech » January 21st 2017, 1:18am

Defrost change over flappy thing perhaps? Vac ball should fix if its that thing
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby Leeann_93 » January 21st 2017, 1:53am

Jack up passenger side front. Pull wheel well liner. See this:

That round thing is the vacuum ball.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby sixsix » January 21st 2017, 4:24am

Leeann_93 wrote:Jack up passenger side front....

She Speaks...

:poke:

Mike
Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “AOC - her astonishing matryoshka-like ignorance, like the rest of The Squad is surpassed only by the relentless idiocy of the democrats, antifa & it’s attendant mass media, mayors & governors.”

sixsix
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsix » January 21st 2017, 4:29am

I dunno' - just cruisin' - didn't see you - but you been all over - Golly.

:banana:

Mike
Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “AOC - her astonishing matryoshka-like ignorance, like the rest of The Squad is surpassed only by the relentless idiocy of the democrats, antifa & it’s attendant mass media, mayors & governors.”

sixsix
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby gordo999 » January 21st 2017, 8:45pm

Broseph wrote: The only problem that remains with the fan/air is the sound from the dash on occasion. Kinda sounds like a little trap door opening and closing lightly.

That's not a problem, it shows the system is working. There are trap doors operated by vacuum actuators. The trap doors do things like diverting air to the defroster vent, the floor heat vent, or both. Another diverts air from the outside. Another diverts warm air from the heater.

On my 2001 Safari, I had an issue where a door was colliding with another door and it could be rather noisy. I pulled it apart and re-aligned the doors. I don't recommend that unless it's absolutely necessary since it involves pulling apart a large amount of the dash.

If the trap door sound is fairly quiet, it should be OK.
gordo999
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Cargovan 4.3 RWD

Don't neglect or forget the check valve !

Postby steve93101 » October 28th 2018, 11:27pm

After excruciating days chasing & replacing vacuum lines, looking under the dash etc. I finally replaced the check valve that runs from the vacuum canister reservoir. The check valve uses the reservoir & keeps vacuum in the system during acceleration / wide open throttle.

AC Delco.jpg
It is Vacuum Check Valve GM# 271

Dorman.jpg
Don't use the Dorman equivalent, it literally sucks does not seal as good !

valve.JPG
The hose on black part draws from the engine vacuum port, the split goes one each to the a. ball reservoir & b. controls under the dash.

Finally I use red (or any color) 3mm (1/8") Red Silicone Vacuum Hose spliced in to/or replace the hard plastic or rubber lines as needed.
600.jpg
It stretches quite a bit and will hold tight on a variety of nipples.The color really stands out and helps me keep track of the lines.
steve93101
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: steve93101 has been a member for 4 full yearssteve93101 has been a member for 4 full yearssteve93101 has been a member for 4 full yearssteve93101 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): steve93101
Van Model Year: 1986
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby mrc.engr » April 29th 2019, 8:26pm

The engine needs to be running to operate the vents, correct?[/quote]

Basically yes........the vents will work for a short period of time (2--3mins) after the engine is stopped because the vacuum will bleed-off as the vacuum system is not 100% sealed.

You hit the nail on the head Steve.......Dorman check valves suck. Get AC Delco (GM) original replacement # 15-5068 only.

Second thing that you did was excellent.......use a colored vacuum hose replacement so it's easy to see where it goes in all that dark engine area. I got three different silicone hoses. Yellow, blue and red. What a difference !!

steve93101 wrote:
After excruciating days chasing & replacing vacuum lines, looking under the dash etc. I finally replaced the check valve that runs from the vacuum canister reservoir. The check valve uses the reservoir & keeps vacuum in the system during acceleration / wide open throttle.

It is Vacuum Check Valve GM# 15-50568

Don't use the Dorman equivalent, it literally sucks does not seal as good !

Finally I use red (or any color) 3mm (1/8") Red Silicone Vacuum Hose spliced in to/or replace the hard plastic or rubber lines as needed.
600.jpg
It stretches quite a bit and will hold tight on a variety of nipples.The color really stands out and helps me keep track of the lines.

Leeann_93 wrote:Jack up passenger side front. Pull wheel well liner. See this:

That round thing is the vacuum ball.

No need to pull the wheel....just turn it all the way to the right and remove front section of the mud flap by pulling the plastic pins that hold it in place. Right there in your face !! No jacking up the van or wheel removal needed.

Mike Cecchini
Bethesda, Md.
mrc.engr
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full yearsmrc.engr has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » April 30th 2019, 11:42am

Mike - you are a Posting Machine!
Thanks from ALL of us for your 11 years of Service here.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike

5 Posts ... Goodness

sixsix
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)

Postby srdragonusa » July 28th 2019, 9:42pm

Just Replaced this part, Controls now working. Now I think I need a new Blower Motor. It only works after I smack it with something heavy, not a hard smack. Not looking forward to cutting that plastic away.
[email protected] AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 *SOLD* :-(
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
1985 MCI 102 A3
srdragonusa
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: srdragonusa has been a member for 3 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 3 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » July 29th 2019, 12:55am

Why? Use a box cutter, cut on the lines. Takes under 5 mins.

When you install the new blower motor, put the piece of plastic you cut out back over the blower motor. All is well.

Oh, replace the blower motor resistor at the same time. Dunno which is the chicken or the egg, but one failing tends to bring down the other. You will need a 5.5mm socket or nutdriver.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby MechBob » July 29th 2019, 2:04am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MechBob
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby vcbobw » September 16th 2019, 5:25pm

This worked perfectly on my 2000 Astro. Also needed to replace the other vacuum hoses in the engine compartments. Hoses and actuators other side of the firewall in the passenger compartment were all fine.

Thanks for the help!
vcbobw
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD Ducthdoor TowPkg

Postby AstroWill » September 17th 2019, 4:37am

vcbobw wrote:This worked perfectly on my 2000 Astro. Also needed to replace the other vacuum hoses in the engine compartments. Hoses and actuators other side of the firewall in the passenger compartment were all fine.

Thanks for the help!

Awesome, congrats on getting it fixed!

Yep, with the under-hood vacuum lines once you have to replace one, might as well replace them all.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):

Postby gordo999 » September 17th 2019, 7:54am

vcbobw wrote:This worked perfectly on my 2000 Astro. Also needed to replace the other vacuum hoses in the engine compartments. Hoses and actuators other side of the firewall in the passenger compartment were all fine.

That was the case with my 2001 Safari. The hose through the engine compartment had gotten too close to the exhaust manifold and it had dried and cracked. When I replaced it, I re-routed it so it was well away from heat sources.
gordo999
Years of Membership: gordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full yearsgordo999 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Cargovan 4.3 RWD

Postby ariealwisenomad » March 20th 2020, 1:09am

Hey this is my exact problem except I can't find all the pics people are raving about!
ariealwisenomad
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): arealwisenomad
Van Model Year: 1998

Postby AstroWill » March 20th 2020, 11:38pm

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):

Postby 81SAFARIMATT » March 30th 2020, 2:03am

ok ...first like all the others ...great post and thank you...

found the check valve... all 3 tubes coming off of valve were broken and about 2 inches long... found the ball and found the intake location... i am sure i looked at it several times but where EXACTLY is the tube coming thru the firewall located? is it just one tube? i seem to remember reading that there are 2...again i know how dumb i will feel when i actually find it ...please help me to be dumb...thanks...Matt
98 safari...3 seats...4.3 v6....RWD...130,000 miles new .... LOVIN LIFE IN THE COLORADO MOUNTAINS

No good story ever started with a salad
81SAFARIMATT
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD-4.3-

Postby Wiley » March 30th 2020, 3:25pm

Here is the rubber boot thing you mention with the 2 hoses, it is located top left of the opening to the engine bay. I did not investigate but it looks like the hose and boot may be 1 part molded together, so you might have to replace the whole thing with one from a junkyard.

IMG_20200330_074314397.jpg

IMG_20200330_074342250.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... ac-airflow
2nd-3rdgen-vac-diagram.jpg
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby 81SAFARIMATT » March 31st 2020, 12:31am

yeah ...I am dumb....thank you so much ... 2 tubes was the key...in my defense the hose needing replacing was broken right at the nub and it looked like just the one tube coming out ....thanks again ....Matt
98 safari...3 seats...4.3 v6....RWD...130,000 miles new .... LOVIN LIFE IN THE COLORADO MOUNTAINS

No good story ever started with a salad
81SAFARIMATT
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD-4.3-

PreviousNext