Blower Fan Fails to start

Blower Fan Fails to start

Postby jlkoch [OP] » March 31st 2008, 10:30am

2003 Astro: I just replaced the blower fan resistor and thought I had fixed the problem of the fan not starting. Sadly, not so. :confused2:

Here are the symptoms. Often when we turn on the front heater/AC fan to any position we get nothing. Then as we are driving it will randomly start blowing. Often if we drive over RR tracks or some significant bump, that will be enough to trigger its startup. Bearings? Rubbing? Is the bump enough to free the fan to start? Time to replace the fan or just go in and do some maintenence?

Thanks,
Justin
Original Poster [OP]
jlkoch
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full yearsjlkoch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Blower Fan Fails to start

Postby remark123 » March 31st 2008, 4:37pm

I am afraid that it has come time to replace the blower motor! They don't last forever, and they are not really too hard to replace, as long as it doesn't fail in a snowstorm in Chicago, (ask me how I know) :lol: There are 5 or 6 screws that have to come out after removal of the washer bottle and the overflow bottle, a couple of connectors, and then you have to disconnect the squirrel cage from the motor itself. Took me about 3 hours in a snowstorm in Chicago at a motel, probably you could do it in about half the time!
Mark, Simpsonville, KY
remark123
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: remark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Conversion Van