Safari 2001 front heater fan inop

Safari 2001 front heater fan inop

Postby gene briggs [OP] » December 26th 2009, 7:08pm

This is my first post and have been enjoying all I've read so far. Thanks to all

First, how do I get at the 'blower'? I've got heat at the coils but I'm not sure how to get to the blower itself. I've looked at the 'dash' switches. All of the wires seem fine, connections tight and no corrosion. The Blower comes and goes, at it's choice of time, but usually only for a short time. When it works all is OK but it never comes on at full power.

I've read some post's about the 'air' hose's that control the selector. Does that in any way have control of the Fan coming on and off?

I rarely have use for the heat in Key West but am in New England getting ready to head south and 'no heat' will be a bummer till I get way south. I use the Air all the time and I was having a progressive problem with it before coming North this year. Seems the fan hasn't put out full power for awhile now.

Any help is appreciated. Would have no problem replacing the fan if that's the problem but so far have been afraid to disassemble too far with out more answers. I did find one post of 'how' and 'where' blower is on a different year but it looked nothing like mine in the engine compartment. Help? Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
gene briggs
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: gene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Safari 2001 front heater fan inop

Postby astroturf » December 26th 2009, 11:06pm

Welcome aboard. This search should get you started in the right direction. Jim

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=blower+replacement

Ps: I just looked at my 05, and its the same. You'll have to remove the radiator overflow bottle and washer bottle.
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby gene briggs [OP] » December 26th 2009, 11:28pm

astroturf wrote:Welcome aboard. This search should get you started in the right direction. Jim

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=blower+replacement

Ps: I just looked at my 05, and its the same. You'll have to remove the radiator overflow bottle and washer bottle.

My safari looks nothing like your's. When I took the overflow and the cleaner's out all I can see is the wire harness and the plug/receptacle. Do I completely take the 'box' apart to get at the blower?
Original Poster [OP]
gene briggs
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: gene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full yearsgene briggs has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » December 26th 2009, 11:49pm

If I were in your spot I would look at this first. Jim

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5031&p=36776&hilit=blower+replacement#p36708
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby gene briggs [OP] » December 29th 2009, 1:16am

Wow. Help came through, thanks a bunch to one and all.

Wasn't the fan, it was the 'resistor' array. Tested the fan by applying 12volt's to it and it ran fine. The relay 'thingee' looks toasted and I'm confident it will resolve my problem when I find one. Untill than I've 'rewired' the fan 'plug' to a cigarette lighter plug and can be warm untiill the chore is completed.

If anyone is interested the 'black' on the fan plug is, of course, ground. I ran a +- wire from the battery to the fan, applied juice before removing the fan, and found it ran fine. The info about the 'relay' made me realize that 'testing' the fan before removing was a good Idea. Only wish I'd tested 'before' I removed the sound jacket/insulation!

Thanks again to all and I'll be back. gene :ty:
Original Poster [OP]
gene briggs
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » December 29th 2009, 1:37am

gene briggs wrote:Wow. Help came through, thanks a bunch to one and all.

Wasn't the fan, it was the 'resistor' array. Tested the fan by applying 12volt's to it and it ran fine. The relay 'thingee' looks toasted and I'm confident it will resolve my problem when I find one. Untill than I've 'rewired' the fan 'plug' to a cigarette lighter plug and can be warm untiill the chore is completed.

If anyone is interested the 'black' on the fan plug is, of course, ground. I ran a +- wire from the battery to the fan, applied juice before removing the fan, and found it ran fine. The info about the 'relay' made me realize that 'testing' the fan before removing was a good Idea. Only wish I'd tested 'before' I removed the sound jacket/insulation!

Thanks again to all and I'll be back. gene :ty:

Glad it worked out for you Gene. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):