AC pressure low side

AC pressure low side

Postby paulbot [OP] » June 7th 2014, 1:51am

So after getting my bad spark plug finally diagnosed last week here, my 2000 Safari with 177K rewards me with AC struggling bad today. It hit 90F today with 60% humidity. Drive home is all interstate, and it didn't keep my cool.

Put the Harbor Freight gauges on it and at first, I get readings that indicate I needed freon. Something like 25 psi low, 125-150 high. Get a can of freon from the shed, hook it up to the gauges and attempt to fill er up. Then low side went way up and stayed up, and not much freon went in. I really don't have a clue how the gauges work in the block, I just know hook up the high and low lines, and open the valves.

So I have no idea where to go from here. Also, 2 years ago I rebuilt the AC with a Delphi compressor from Rock Auto, along with evaporator coil, flush, orifice tube, dryer, vacuum and recharge. Worked like a champ. I am losing some from the low pressure valve, it's always slightly oily, hence me thinking I need to add some R-134.

Any pointers?
Last edited by paulbot on June 7th 2014, 3:46am, edited 1 time in total.
55273 2000 Safari Cargo RWD 235K
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: AC pressure low side

Postby chevymaher » June 7th 2014, 2:43am

Only use the low side. Get it up to 35 lbs when the compressor is engaged and pumping. On max A/C with the fan on high. If the compressor is cycling during the test it needs more.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby paulbot [OP] » June 7th 2014, 3:49am

Thanks. Compressor is cycling. I think this gauge set has seen it's last. maybe something clogged in it or some such. I have a little low side filler I'll use that if I can find it
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » June 7th 2014, 7:35pm

No gauges that I've ever used (several in the last couple months) seem to engage the fittings well on my 134a conversion. I find I have to physically PUSH the gauge hose fitting onto the low or hi pressure nipple to get gas to flow or to take a reading.

Perhaps it's something as simple as that. Hook your gauges up, keep the valves on the gauges CLOSED, and try simply pushing on the back of the connector where it meets the fittings in the van. See if that causes you to see more expectable readings.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby paulbot [OP] » June 8th 2014, 12:26am

I gave up on the gauge set and bought another fill hose with gauge from walmart. Can and a half of r134 and it's blowing cold again, but still only 25 psi on the gauge. When I go into town I'll get more. Had I realized it would take this much, I would have gotten another valve core for the low side fitting and fixed the leak.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » June 8th 2014, 6:55am

PB - Is yours a conversion from R12 to 134a or is it a newer van designed for 134a?

Mine's an 89, R12 originally. I converted it to 134a.

To add freon in mine, I find it simpler to use the plastic single hose gizmo that comes with some kits. I think that's what you're describing that you used for yours. I still have to physically hold it in place. But the cheapo gauge and hose is easier to stand there and hold than the more expensive manifold type gauges.

I added some more today. Blowing really cold but still just barely above 25 on the low side.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » June 13th 2014, 3:40am

Lump, it came with r-134A. got a kit similar to this- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deluxe-R-134a ... e/16888796 Worked as it should. If I can get to Big Lots to grap another 3 cans or so, and get another valve core I'll get the leak fixed.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » June 13th 2014, 7:04pm

That's exactly the valve/gauge thingie I use. 134a is $9 per can at my Wally's.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » June 14th 2014, 2:45am

I stopped at wallyworld because it was close. $15 a can was all they had. Think it was synthetic, they have a hard time keeping regular r134 instock, they never have any. I have to go to the other side of town this weekend for Big Lots.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 24th 2014, 4:21am

crap. been working really well, and still is. The compressor always had a little rattle even right after I rebuilt the system, but it sat up for a week while we went to Houston for a big dog show. Today I went back to work, and it's clattering significantly louder. I had googled while on the job in the van about the clatter it was making, read a thread here that if it's clattering replace it before it locks up. Now I cant find it....
So now it's 2 years old with a Delphi compressor, looks like I need to change it again. I did go the whole 9 yards when i redid it, seals, flush orifice valve accumulator, pulled a good vaccuum etc. Here's a recording I made holding phone just a few inches away from the compressor- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRrR1 ... sp=sharing
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » July 24th 2014, 5:38am

Sounds like the compressor is shot. I'm currently working on learning A/C repair ( on my own ) and from what I've seen, you have two different oils to use depending on the compressor, either pag49 or pag150, make sure you are getting the right stuff for the compressor you are using...that's first.

Secondly, when you replace the compressor, replace the drier and make sure you pull a good vacuum down to 29 inches for at least 20-30 minutes to boil off and remove any traces of moisture in the system.

Thirdly, if the old compressor died violently and got junk in your system, you'll want to flush out the components you can to get rid of any debris from the compressor. Never a bad idea to add an A/C filter to the system if you can manage it if you aren't sure. If you have rear A/C the rear expansion valve has a very tiny orifice that can get blocked up with debris.

The orifice tube may be blocked or partially clogged with your low side pressure issue, you'd want to replace that anyway since you'll be replacing the compressor.

http://www.aircommcorp.com/files/upload ... ooting.pdf
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Mmusicman » July 24th 2014, 6:14am

redfury wrote:..Thirdly, if the old compressor died violently and got junk in your system, you'll want to flush out the components you can to get rid of any debris from the compressor. Never a bad idea to add an A/C filter to the system if you can manage it if you aren't sure. If you have rear A/C the rear expansion valve has a very tiny orifice that can get blocked up with debris..

EXACTLY!!! If the system is left contaminated, you will only prematurely kill the next compressor. Flush is vital... filter a good idea too. Not so much a concern if the system is still clean.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 24th 2014, 11:51am

Thanks for the tips. 2 years ago when I redid it, I did flush the lines new O valve seals accumulator pulled a vacuum etc. PAG oil was correct version and amount. Details on that was hazy, but I seem to remember looking it up and adding whatever it called for. Guess I'll order an AC Delco today. Thought I was getting a good one with the Delphi. I do like to go the extra lengths for a long lasting repair.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » July 24th 2014, 2:20pm

Cleaning the system is the key. Spare no pain doing that. I know of a vehicle that had it done at a shop. It was flushed all new parts. And same thing happened in the same length of time. A filter is definitely needed in line somewhere and I don't think there is one made. Filter dryer is not a filter for solids they pass right through.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 25th 2014, 12:08am

Yeah that's what's puzzling, I did flush the crap out of it 2 years ago. But I'll do it again, too old to be riding around in this heat with no AC. Side note, after years of buying from Rock Auto, I seem to be ordering more from Amazon since we have the Prime package. Not only were the parts cheaper than RA, I got free 2 day shipping.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 25th 2014, 2:04am

chevymaher wrote:.............A filter is definitely needed in line somewhere and I don't think there is one made. Filter dryer is not a filter for solids they pass right through.

Something like this maybe???
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Santech-A-C-Inline-Filter-Kit/2000-Chevrolet-Astro-Van-2WD/_/N-je3mxZ91u1a?itemIdentifier=946933_0_0_
17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
CoolCat4Christ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD

Postby chevymaher » July 25th 2014, 2:08am

CoolCat4Christ wrote:

That be the animal, nice find.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 25th 2014, 2:49am

chevymaher wrote:
CoolCat4Christ wrote:

That be the animal, nice find.

Ya see.....once in a while I am good for something...besides clowning.
17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
CoolCat4Christ
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 25th 2014, 4:11am

Thank you sir. The local Autozone has one in stock. Should be able to fit it in somewhere without too much trouble.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » July 25th 2014, 5:35am

paulbot wrote:Thank you sir. The local Autozone has one in stock. Should be able to fit it in somewhere without too much trouble.

PLEASE take pics. I'm interested in where and how it installs.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Next