AC pressure low side

Re: AC pressure low side

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 25th 2014, 1:14pm

Sure. I searched for an instruction sheet but they are nowhere on the net. I'll post that too.
55273 2000 Safari Cargo RWD 235K
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 25th 2014, 1:44pm

I'm guessing it goes between the compressor and condenser to catch debris in case the compressor gives up the ghost. Well off I go into the depths of the interweb to verify.
17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
CoolCat4Christ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD

Postby Lumpy » July 25th 2014, 2:34pm

CoolCat4Christ wrote:I'm guessing it goes between the compressor and condenser to catch debris in case the compressor gives up the ghost. Well off I go into the depths of the interweb to verify.

How many hours of interweb depth searching have you taken?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 25th 2014, 2:48pm

Lumpy wrote:
CoolCat4Christ wrote:I'm guessing it goes between the compressor and condenser to catch debris in case the compressor gives up the ghost. Well off I go into the depths of the interweb to verify.

How many hours of interweb depth searching have you taken?

Lump

Image900+ hours :rofl:

Well, found out if you're a stickler for ACDelco parts they make an inline A/C filter part# 15-10413.
Mentioned in this TSB. Very informative. Edit....They also make a suction side screen.
tsb_05D-114.pdf
(246.22 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

And this. I'm thinking slap it between the compressor and condenser, but......who am I but a knukclehead!!
tsb_05D-114.pdf
(246.22 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Attachments
Protect your AC System(EN).pdf
(290.22 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
17553ImageImage
CoolCat4Christ
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » July 25th 2014, 3:46pm

If it was me before the compressor. It a little late once it passes it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 25th 2014, 5:58pm

I figured high side after the compressor to catch any debris from restricting the condenser and whatever type of metering device you have should the compressor explode and start spewing shrapnel. I suppose the suction screen would take care of any debris on the low side, I just wonder how small of a particle it will catch :shrug:
I understand what you mean chevy. Putting it on low side to catch "stuff"
before it gets into the compressor and the components after it. I wonder if it's too restrictive to install on low side :confused:
17553ImageImage
CoolCat4Christ
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 26th 2014, 5:17pm

The AC Delco in line filter looks very similar to the Santech one I got from Autozone. Still no parts yet, supposed to be out for delivery. I'm also leery of cutting a line and adding the filter. Doesn't seem the seals of the filter would be as good a fitting as original fittings.

Here's a nice tech bulletin from AC Delco dated 2005 that includes the above quotes and more. http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/tsb/tsb_05D-114.pdf

Oh, and one specific to the filter- http://www.johnstonauto.com/news/TechBulletins/ACDelco1510413Filter.pdf
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » July 26th 2014, 6:12pm

I have ALWAYS put the filter screens on the low suction side of compressor. It is the compressor you are trying to protect!

The smallest particles can damage a compressor or reed valves, but will have little to no effect on most other components. Even if minor debris collects in the bottom of a coil somewhere, the gas will more than likely still go past it. If it does pass through the system... you definitely want to catch it before it destroys your compressor. You are also trying to catch any random debris from previous failures.

By the way, the filter is nothing more than a wire screen (at least the ones I've seen) and are not restrictive to gas in any way. They are meant to catch a stray particle of metal that can severely damage a compressor.

If you have enough debris to block ANY filter, then you have MUCH bigger issues!
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 26th 2014, 7:25pm

Mmusicman wrote:
By the way, the filter is nothing more than a wire screen (at least the ones I've seen) and are not restrictive to gas in any way.

Thanks for the info Mmusicman,
Are the Santech filters the ones with the wire screen inside them? Or is there some other type of media In them? I know the tsb posted mentions the wire screen for the suction side.
Paulbot, I just realized you purchased one. What is inside of the filter housing?
17553ImageImage
CoolCat4Christ
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » July 26th 2014, 8:10pm

Pic of the very fine screen
Pic of the kit, identical to the ACDelco version to me.
Instructions. You can mod your orifice tube to go in it.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » August 11th 2014, 9:58pm

Never got around to replacing the compressor et al. Yesterday it wouldn't pump, it would kick in for a few seconds then kick off. I turned the AC completely off, then back on. It kicked in and lasted until the 4th stop this morning and wouldn't come back on.

So now it's time for the rebuild. The question I have right now is how much oil to use. I will be flushing the lines thoroughly, the instructions that came with the compressor (AC Delco) says in does not come with oil, to measure what came out of the compressor and add the same amount. Same with the accumulator.

I'm not sure of what's in the system right now. And since I'm going to flush the lines, wouldn't that also flush out the oil from the system? And what's the correct way to flush the lines? I'm seeing accumulator will be open, suction and discharge lines, and filter. Just run cleaner through them all?
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » August 11th 2014, 10:30pm

Here's a link to a chart pdf that gives the amounts and types of oil by vehicle -
http://idqusa.com/faq/chart-of-r134a-oi ... hicle-make

Ours is under General Motors, there's no Chevrolet.

I started with an essentially empty system. New compressor had some oil in it. I drained out whatever there was, about 1/3 of a shot glass worth. I added 8 oz of PAG100 split roughly three ways 1/3 into new compressor, 1/3 into new accumulator and 1/3 into new condensor coil.

I left just a tiny bit in the little container it came in to use to lubricate the orifice tube, o-rings etc. Just stuck my little finger in the plastic bottle and used that to swab the oil on the joints.

Bought an assortment of AC style (green) o-rings for a few dollars. Replaced any old o-rings I came upon. The new components came with their own new rings.

I don't know anything about flushing.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » August 11th 2014, 10:54pm

Thanks Lump. I found another chart here that seems to be more inclusive- http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refriger ... ities/efgh 2000 Safari needs 32 OZ. of r134 and 8 ounces of PAG 150 oil. I did get an assortment of o-rings to make sure I had enough for all the seals to be replaced.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » August 12th 2014, 12:35am

And that ~32 oz is for a FRONT ONLY A/C. If you have rear A/C also, make it ~47 oz.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » August 12th 2014, 1:22am

Yep, it's front only. Been stuck trying to get the dang orifice tube out then the skies opened up on me. The only thing I didn't get was a bottle of PAG oil, I have everything else. But stepson is heading into town and said he'd pick one up for me. Unless someone chimes in on a better way to flush, I have a medium size compressor, with this cleaning gun that picks up solvent and blows a stream of air/solvent through the lines- http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html

I'm really curious to see what kind of debris is in the orifice tube and lines. I'll probably wrap the line ends with stocking or something to catch it to take a look.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » August 12th 2014, 9:21pm

Damn. Still at it. Stepson decided to change his Camry master cylinder, ended up getting air in the lines so I had to take over that.

Orifice tube was stuck in there, took a long 1/8 drill bit and chewed it up until I could get it out. Tried back pressure, pouring solvent on top of it, used long tweezers and mini long pliers. I hate when this stuff happens, no telling what I did to the evap line, since it's made of aluminum. Flushing the evap. as much as I can. Then on to the other lines.

Still don't know where I'll put that filter.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » August 12th 2014, 10:57pm

That filter is designed to keep the compressor from blowing debris throughout the system in the event of a failure to keep a new compressor from failing from debris in the system. You can flush all you want, but flushing will only get so much, especially with a home flush. you want to use a high flash solvent like xylol to flush with so that you won't leave any solvent behind that could break down the PAG oil. I flushed what I could remove from the vehicle as individual components ( mostly lines as that was what I was working with the most ). You certainly want to pull a vacuum for at least 20-30 minutes before you charge the system and then let it sit and see if it will continue to hold the vacuum, ensuring there are no leaks. Also, drawing the vacuum with a pump will boil off any water in the system and draw it out so you can get a complete charge in the system.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby paulbot [OP] » August 12th 2014, 11:29pm

To clarify more, I am using AC flush, and am breaking all lines apart and flushing thoroughly as I can with a compressor with a blow valve hooked up to various size hoses sealing them somewhat. New orings everywhere, new everything typically changed out.

And I will be pulling a good vacuum. Trying to figure out which port to put the oil in now.

edit - got that figured out. The line coming from the evaporator to the dryer then to the inlet on compressor. I figure right there a few inches from the compressor is a good spot for the inline filter.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » August 13th 2014, 2:31am

Just split the oil somewhat evenly into whatever components you can. If you're starting with a new compressor, put a couple oz's in it and manually turn the shaft with a 14mm(?) wrench to circulate the oil. Then when you install it, turn it a few more turns just to be sure it's lubed and the seals get oiled.

The oil will start moving the moment you fire up the compressor so really you just want to get some in everywhere, particular attention to the pump (the compressor).

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot [OP] » August 13th 2014, 3:56pm

Got it, thanks. Next issue is I start to install the inline filer, and cut the line right behind the compressor.

The damn thing is a 5/8's line and the filter max filter fitting is 1/2" Rock Auto shows that filter is for high side. So if I cant' find a filter for suction side quick, guess I'm going to have to get a new line.
Original Poster [OP]
paulbot
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext