Front and rear AC switch rewired??

Front and rear AC switch rewired??

Postby TucsonAstro [OP] » February 12th 2010, 5:27am

Hey guys, Hi to everyone this is my first post, I just bought this a 1998 Chevy Astro LS. ITS NOT RUNNING!! but I am gonna fix it and make it my daily driver. It has rear AC. I noticed a switch on top of the rear ac control switch on the dashboard. And one on the back (SEE PICS)

I don't really know how this works but when you turn on that switch on the back, the rear blower comes on. You can"t change the speed or anything same with the front. The actual control switch (ON, OFF, SPEED) doesn't do anything, maybe just change the temperature and the defrost and all those. I don't know were those wires go to. I don't mind these rewires but I would like to make it work the way it should be.
Has anyone ever seen this or why it's done?

ImageImageImage
1997 Chevrolet Astro....4.3L V6....177000 miles......3rd owner.........All stock
Original Poster [OP]
TucsonAstro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Franky
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: rwd Stock

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • ???? Rear AC is cold front ac is cool ????
    by BadAsrto » August 15th 2020, 10:27pm in Climate Control
    8 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    August 16th 2020, 4:14pm
  • Ac pressure switch
    by gengomepyle » June 9th 2020, 3:32pm in Climate Control
    3 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    June 10th 2020, 10:24pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 2:38pm

Re: Front and rear AC switch rewired??

Postby Mr_Bowtie » February 12th 2010, 5:44am

Welcome! Looks like someone went the cheap route when the switches went bad? I think your going to have to start taking the dash apart to see what they all did. I hate when I see things like that. :whack:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby Astroplane » February 12th 2010, 6:15am

One of the pattern failures is the blower motor resistor assembly located under the hood, below the blower motor. Sounds like they bypassed the switch and the resistor. Can you see the heavy gauge wires from the switch under the hood anywhere? I'm wondering if Mr.Fixit wired directly to the motor or spliced into the pigtail from the motor to the resistor pack. On the rear, there should be a conventional resistor in the blower housing. Maybe just a bad switch and lack of understanding. If you don't already have one, You need a Factory Service Manual. Best money you've ever spent for situations just like yours.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie » February 12th 2010, 6:24am

If the resistor goes out doesn't the blower still work on the high setting? Why would Mr. Fixitwrong have to bypass that? :think:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby TucsonAstro [OP] » February 12th 2010, 6:47am

I will take it apart this weekend to see what's going on. I do have a parts van except it doesn't have rear ac but I'll try and make it work. I'll update this post as soon as I do it. Thanks for the replys guys.
1997 Chevrolet Astro....4.3L V6....177000 miles......3rd owner.........All stock
Original Poster [OP]
TucsonAstro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full yearsTucsonAstro has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Astroplane » February 12th 2010, 7:11am

TucsonAstro wrote:You can"t change the speed or anything same with the front.

Do I understand that both front and rear A/C blowers only operate on high speed?
Mr_Bowtie wrote:If the resistor goes out doesn't the blower still work on the high setting? Why would Mr. Fixitwrong have to bypass that?

Yes, assuming the initial problem was with the lower speeds. What if the problem was with the high speed relay? It wouldn't surpise me if Fixit went from the battery or other power supply straight to the blower motor.

Does this van have rear heat? Check underneath for lines running to the drivers' side mid-van. Can you take some pics behind the coolant overflow bottle? (need to see factory wiring there) Also, look for a another factory connector inside the hole where that switch comes out.

Mr Bowtie, what do you think the chances are of the previous owner swapping heat/ A/C switches to try to get it to work and then resorting to this mess?

The red lighted switch is a nice touch.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astroplane » February 12th 2010, 7:15am

Also, can we have some info on the not running issue? I'd like to know as much as possible about this van now as opposed to three pages of posts later. Thanks.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TucsonAstro [OP] » February 12th 2010, 2:26pm

The not running issue is the tranny. I have a replacement already. I just don't have a lot of time right now to do the swap.

Like I said I will take some more pics maybe today from all the places you guys told me. Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
TucsonAstro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby astro355 » February 13th 2010, 3:16am

In this picture,

What is the discoloration on the plastic trim behind the switch?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby TucsonAstro [OP] » February 13th 2010, 9:44pm

astro355 wrote:In this picture,

[ https://www.astrosafari.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=13627 ]

What is the discoloration on the plastic trim behind the switch?

That stain I just think it's some soda or something. It does have some sort of cover on there like a rubber I don't know for what.
Original Poster [OP]
TucsonAstro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby TucsonAstro [OP] » February 13th 2010, 9:51pm

Ok guys I took things apart.. That switch on the dash board is connected to the front blower fan, directly. Sorry for the crappy pics. Same with the rear. I will hook everything back the way it should be and then I'll go from there.

ImageImageImageImage
Original Poster [OP]
TucsonAstro
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Astroplane » February 14th 2010, 5:33am

Are you missing a switch on that front panel or was it just a cover? Rear heat in this van? For the front: Remove the coolant bottle and inspect the resistor. I'm assuming that is what started this wiring redo. If you need a new one, that will give you a new pigtail to hook to the blower motor. Maybe the factory connector for the resistor is OK. Price of a new resistor is around $45. Keep us updated. Glad to hear you are going to make it right again. No more wire nuts! :D
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Alias (AKA):