AstroSafari.com №12

AstroSafari.com №12

Postby AstroAustin [OP] » January 11th 2012, 11:16pm

Astro/Safari Community,

It's been 5 long years since the last major update. Today we are proud to open up the 2012 version of AstroSafari.com. After a long week of downtime working fanatically on the reconstruction of the site we're now live. The 2007 version has been retired and without a doubt there may be features missing that you've grown fond of and bugs in the new system. Rest assured that the work is not done and there is still a major debugging effort taking place daily. There are still several changes I want to make but figured I cannot, in good conscience, leave the site down for such an extended period of time. I've been told that this much downtime even causes health problems with some of our members. :P

I'd be happy to address any feedback, suggestions, or anything else you'd like to discuss in the topic.
-AstroAustin
[email protected]
Full FBSS Air Suspension :: Triangulated 4-Link :: Engine Driven Compressor :: 4 Air Tanks :: 1/2" SMC Valves :: Phantom Billet Grill
Original Poster [OP]
AstroAustin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: AstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 120
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1988
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 FBSS AirRide

Re: AstroSafari.com №12

Postby xit » January 11th 2012, 11:28pm

Thanks for all the hard work Austin
Possibly Natures most perfect food, good beef jerky and cold beer......
xit
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 64
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: Conversion

Postby Corsemoto » January 11th 2012, 11:40pm

Thanks Austin, looking good.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Lumpy » January 12th 2012, 12:15am

Can't say I'm crazy about the 1/3 width space that each post and pic occupies.

... :hand:

I'd like to see the "user menu" and "who's online" and all that stuff at the
top or bottom of the POST window, rather than at the sides. PICTURES are the
outstanding part of this forum, for me. When I'm forced to start scrolling
right and left, up and down, to get an idea of what is being shown, it kind of
loses it's impact.

Allow the post text and pics to occupy the entire width, or at least NEARLY
the entire width of the screen. Move that dead space to somewhere less
invasive.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby 94 Van Guy » January 12th 2012, 12:22am

It's good to have the site back up, thank you. I'm glad to hear you are still working on the site and the bugs will worked out.

I agree with Lumpy as to the placement of the pics, maybe that is one of the bugs you will address.

Good luck with the site and getting all the bugs out,

Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby AstroAustin [OP] » January 12th 2012, 12:30am

Lumpy wrote:Can't say I'm crazy about the 1/3 width space that each post and pic occupies.

Try to consider others perspective. The whole world is not viewing the site at the same resolution on the same monitor as you. The site is completely fluid and scalable to fit anyone's monitor.

For for those on a high-resolution monitor (likely constructed in the last 2-3 years), they view the site like this.
wide-screen.jpg
Observe how the site scales to fit the window and takes up a mere fraction of the viewable region.

For for those viewing the site at very low-resolution, they view the site like this. (Probably similar to what you're seeing)
low-res-screen.jpg
Observe how the site is forced to become crowded and unpleasant because your resolution is so small it has nowhere to go.

I understand your concern but in this respect there is not a solution that would please everyone. In addition, I have considerably more planned for the side columns so they will be a vital part of the "dead space".
-AstroAustin
[email protected]
Full FBSS Air Suspension :: Triangulated 4-Link :: Engine Driven Compressor :: 4 Air Tanks :: 1/2" SMC Valves :: Phantom Billet Grill
Original Poster [OP]
AstroAustin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroAustin has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 120
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 FBSS AirRide

Postby Lumpy » January 12th 2012, 12:34am

OK.
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby RECox286 » January 12th 2012, 12:46am

Newspaper column with good sharp type is much easier for me to read. If you had noticed I had all my posts double spaced
so they would be easier to read.

This is as far as I've gotten, so we will see how the scalable works out for me. Good goosh, Austin, I thought I was dead when
I wasn't able to get a "fix" of our favorite forum. But, now you are back, and I feel I can breathe once more. What a
relief !!!

Hey Lumpy, If you can't say something nice, then please be yourself. Ha. Boy, b*****, b****, b*****. It's good to see you
back online, pal.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby alexalexanders » January 12th 2012, 12:54am

I like it! :D
ImageImage
2000 GMC Safari SLE
alexalexanders
Years of Membership: alexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 80
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 Vortec

Postby Big_kid » January 12th 2012, 1:23am

So far so good! It's odd seeing things in a new layout, but it's a good thing.

Off to explore...
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 12th 2012, 1:44am

OMG I don't care what it looks like I'm just glad it's back up!

Thanks for all your hard work. I've only been here for 5 seconds so I still need to poke around.

:ty:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby tedanderson » January 12th 2012, 2:37am

I LOVE IT.. No.. I really love it! Oh.. BTW, did I mention how much I really love it?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I like this new format also.. Even though the old format was fine, this is a much more enjoyable to read! And I am in agreement.. lets test/debug/develop the site while it's running. This is a GREAT much needed change. Now I want to repaint my office and get new curtains. :D
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby Mr_Bowtie » January 12th 2012, 4:18am

Freakin' sweet! So, happy the site is back up & it looks awesome! :rockon:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby 93xtmoney » January 12th 2012, 4:34am

Thanks Austin!!! I love this site, I was checking at least twice a day waiting for the site to be back up!!! So glad for it to be back up!!! Three cheers for Austin........
93 Safari XT awd slt with the GMC touring package a.k.a. Money Machine
5000K foglights, type R headlights 7000K, clear corners, APC black euro tail lights,
93xtmoney
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years93xtmoney has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Xt AWD

Postby Jasen » January 12th 2012, 4:46am

I feel like a new member trying to find my way around the site for the first time.
Is there a GPS button, I'm lost :lol:

AA :thumbup:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Phantom » January 12th 2012, 2:46pm

Great Job Very Cool :rockon:

I noticed on some threads there is both a quick reply and post reply buttons ,, and some threads did not see the quick reply

some threads have some new cool smiley icons, some threads do not have the new ones

I'm still finding the yellow brick road :D
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Shad0wXCalibur » January 12th 2012, 5:51pm

Won't lie. I favored the old layout. But at least it's back. I kinda see what Lumpy was talking about. It's not too bad on my desktop monitor but it does look a little funny and this is on a 19" widescreen.
1987 Astro
2000 Safari
Shad0wXCalibur
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Shad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Lifted 2wd

Postby Shad0wXCalibur » January 12th 2012, 5:58pm

The "edit" hasn't come back but I was gonna say I do like the sharp font. Not stylish but easy to read. Looking foward to the new layout being finished up and debugged so I can really get a feel for this thing. Either way, I was checking a couple times a day because I'm glad this site exists at all and I have an unhealthy addiction to it!
1987 Astro
2000 Safari
Shad0wXCalibur
Years of Membership: Shad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Lifted 2wd

Postby petevandam » January 12th 2012, 9:06pm

what a great job you've done, all your hard work definitely not in vain, looks awesome . . . . :clap:
petevandam
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: petevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full yearspetevandam has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 rwd

Postby tedanderson » January 13th 2012, 12:23am

One feature that I like (which I am seeing again now) is the "Full Editor" button. :thumbup:

I can't begin to tell you how many times I start out doing a quick reply only to start my post over again simply because I want to add smileys and use the other features in the editor. Very cool!

:ty:
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Next

Return to Announcements

It is currently August 12th 2020, 7:24am

Announcements Forum
AnnouncementsImportant announcements that everyone should take a moment to read. Site news, updates, and the latest AstroSafari.com happenings
To create a new topic in Announcements, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: AstroMonkey
AstroMonkey
in Announcements
Views: 9379
Comments: 28
Date: Aug 07 '19
Time: 10:26am
» Read last comment