Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

AstroSafari.com №12

21K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  Lumpy 
#1 ·
Astro/Safari Community,

It's been 5 long years since the last major update. Today we are proud to open up the 2012 version of AstroSafari.com. After a long week of downtime working fanatically on the reconstruction of the site we're now live. The 2007 version has been retired and without a doubt there may be features missing that you've grown fond of and bugs in the new system. Rest assured that the work is not done and there is still a major debugging effort taking place daily. There are still several changes I want to make but figured I cannot, in good conscience, leave the site down for such an extended period of time. I've been told that this much downtime even causes health problems with some of our members. :p

I'd be happy to address any feedback, suggestions, or anything else you'd like to discuss in the topic.

#4 ·
Can't say I'm crazy about the 1/3 width space that each post and pic occupies.

... :hand:

I'd like to see the "user menu" and "who's online" and all that stuff at the
top or bottom of the POST window, rather than at the sides. PICTURES are the
outstanding part of this forum, for me. When I'm forced to start scrolling
right and left, up and down, to get an idea of what is being shown, it kind of
loses it's impact.

Allow the post text and pics to occupy the entire width, or at least NEARLY
the entire width of the screen. Move that dead space to somewhere less
invasive.

Lump

#5 ·
It's good to have the site back up, thank you. I'm glad to hear you are still working on the site and the bugs will worked out.

I agree with Lumpy as to the placement of the pics, maybe that is one of the bugs you will address.

Good luck with the site and getting all the bugs out,

Keith

#6 ·
Lumpy said:
Can't say I'm crazy about the 1/3 width space that each post and pic occupies.
Try to consider others perspective. The whole world is not viewing the site at the same resolution on the same monitor as you. The site is completely fluid and scalable to fit anyone's monitor.

For for those on a high-resolution monitor (likely constructed in the last 2-3 years), they view the site like this.
wide-screen.jpg
Observe how the site scales to fit the window and takes up a mere fraction of the viewable region.

For for those viewing the site at very low-resolution, they view the site like this. (Probably similar to what you're seeing)
low-res-screen.jpg
Observe how the site is forced to become crowded and unpleasant because your resolution is so small it has nowhere to go.

I understand your concern but in this respect there is not a solution that would please everyone. In addition, I have considerably more planned for the side columns so they will be a vital part of the "dead space".

#8 ·
Newspaper column with good sharp type is much easier for me to read. If you had noticed I had all my posts double spaced
so they would be easier to read.

This is as far as I've gotten, so we will see how the scalable works out for me. Good goosh, Austin, I thought I was dead when
I wasn't able to get a "fix" of our favorite forum. But, now you are back, and I feel I can breathe once more. What a
relief !!!

Hey Lumpy, If you can't say something nice, then please be yourself. Ha. Boy, b*****, b****, b*****. It's good to see you
back online, pal.

Bob

#12 ·
I LOVE IT.. No.. I really love it! Oh.. BTW, did I mention how much I really love it?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I like this new format also.. Even though the old format was fine, this is a much more enjoyable to read! And I am in agreement.. lets test/debug/develop the site while it's running. This is a GREAT much needed change. Now I want to repaint my office and get new curtains. :D

#14 ·
Thanks Austin!!! I love this site, I was checking at least twice a day waiting for the site to be back up!!! So glad for it to be back up!!! Three cheers for Austin........

#15 ·
I feel like a new member trying to find my way around the site for the first time.
Is there a GPS button, I'm lost :lol:

AA :thumbup:

#16 ·
Great Job Very Cool :rockon:

I noticed on some threads there is both a quick reply and post reply buttons ,, and some threads did not see the quick reply

some threads have some new cool smiley icons, some threads do not have the new ones

I'm still finding the yellow brick road :D

#18 ·
The "edit" hasn't come back but I was gonna say I do like the sharp font. Not stylish but easy to read. Looking foward to the new layout being finished up and debugged so I can really get a feel for this thing. Either way, I was checking a couple times a day because I'm glad this site exists at all and I have an unhealthy addiction to it!

#20 ·
One feature that I like (which I am seeing again now) is the "Full Editor" button. :thumbup:

I can't begin to tell you how many times I start out doing a quick reply only to start my post over again simply because I want to add smileys and use the other features in the editor. Very cool!

:ty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.