Hello from Ottawa, ON

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Hello from Ottawa, ON

Postby JD and Beastlet [OP] » February 6th 2008, 12:51pm

Hmmm... thought I posted a hello message yesterday, but I don't see it.

Any road, here I am. We're campers and are currently towing our pop up trailer* with a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The Dodge is doing a fine job, but we don't push it with really long trips, and I'm thinking long-term. We're considering the switch to a used Astro/Safari, hoping to save a few thousand on the deal which we'll put in trust for the decrease in fuel economy (!)

I'm here to learn more about the Astro, its capabilities as a tow vehicle , its strengths and weaknesses and its long-term reliability... and whatever else might be relevant.

P.S. - Did something happen to this site? There don't seem to be a lot of messages.

*You can find us under the same alias on popupexplorer.com
Original Poster [OP]
JD and Beastlet
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: JD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Hello, its me
    by rozmpatterson » September 9th 2020, 10:38pm in Member Introductions
    12 Replies
    Last post by Rockridge View the latest post
    September 12th 2020, 1:52am
  • Hello from Tennessee!
    by hankheat » September 29th 2020, 10:36pm in Member Introductions
    7 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 2:59pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 8:10am

Re: Hello from Ottawa, ON

Postby 9dawgs » February 6th 2008, 2:37pm

Welcome JD, I know you'll find a lot of info here [Rule 21 Violation]. Sorry to hear about your caravan...just kidding. The Astro/Safari will tow just about anything you can hook up to it without a problem. I think when you make a purchase you will be pleasently suprised by it! Plus the AS is a lot more versatile than the caravan when it comes to mods.

About the site, yes this site has been re-born. The old site had many problems that were fixed with band-aids and eventually it just dropped dead. AstroAustin purchased the domain name and started this one back up. When the Ikonboard is datamined you'll be able to get to a lot of the old stuff (very useful). Hope you have fun here! :D
Last edited by AstroAustin on September 26th 2008, 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This post does not comply with forum rules (Rule 21), the infraction in this post has been removed and this post has been locked.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4x2, OVERLAND 4" Lift, Rancho RS5000 shocks, BF Goodrich AT TA KO 31X10.50/15, K&N Filter, Optima Red Top, KC Off-road Lighting, Rockford Fosgate RFX 9000
9dawgs
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years9dawgs has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrogurl » February 6th 2008, 3:14pm

It was nice seeing you in chat yesterday.

As for towing, I believe I suggested a 2003 and newer van because of the all-disc brakes, which helps with stopping as well as installing electric brakes on your trailer. I believe you said you already had electric breaks, and if so, you'd do well with just about any tow vehicle as long as you aren't planning on doing over 65 mph while towing.

We have towed our 27 foot long camper with our van, which comes with the Tow/Haul feature. It is a very nice feature and saves wear and tear. A transmission cooler will also help to keep the transmission from facing destruction.

Hoping for pics. :)
Astrogurl
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Astrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full yearsAstrogurl has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

Postby JD and Beastlet [OP] » February 6th 2008, 9:01pm

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Here's a pic of our van and trailer:

Original Poster [OP]
JD and Beastlet
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: JD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full yearsJD and Beastlet has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby moboman » February 6th 2008, 10:26pm

The Astro rides more like a truck than your caravan.

Welcome to the site!
Sold: 1997 Astro Cargo with carputer
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2932891
moboman
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: moboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby JD and Beastlet [OP] » February 7th 2008, 9:18pm

moboman wrote:The Astro rides more like a truck than your caravan.

Welcome to the site!
Hi, and thanks. I know the Astro is more trucklike, but that's not a problem. I've driven them before and I like them - especially the visibility.
Original Poster [OP]
JD and Beastlet
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby moboman » February 7th 2008, 10:13pm

I know I didnt really like the ride at first but after a while I realized how nice it was.

I just wanted to warn you, before you got one.
Sold: 1997 Astro Cargo with carputer
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2932891
moboman
Years of Membership: moboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby LS1AWD » February 19th 2008, 10:57pm

I'll say welcome to the site and by all means buy an Astro or Safari.

Having driven Mopar, Ford and GM vans, I prefer the Astro. I presently have a 94 Astro LT AWD that has had a few modifications done to it. Most of the information is on the old site, but how accessible it is I don't know. I installed an LS1 back in 2002 and a new style front end a couple of years ago and the old v6 power train is still taking the v8 power so that is an option should you find the AS short on towing power. You may have seen me around town towing a trailer with a 57 chev at some time or another. Welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions. They'll get answered.

Don't beleive the 1 spark plug. The LS1 fires on all eight. I can still scare myself if I put my foot in it.
LS1AWD
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: LS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full yearsLS1AWD has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):