New poster from Georgia, not new to Astros.

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

New poster from Georgia, not new to Astros.

Postby WoodMotorsports [OP] » August 18th 2011, 3:37am

I've just picked up a 98 cargo and since I'm here all the time looking for info, I thought I should make it "official" and post.

I'm not new to Astro's as I've have had several company (DirecTV) owned cargo's in the past, but for the past couple years I've been running my own contract install company and have been maintaining several Astro and Safari vans that my techs own. After seeing several of them still earning a living with over 250k miles on them I figured it was time to buy one for the "boss".

I got a '98 with a bad fuel pump and 160k miles for $500 two weeks ago. The tank had not only been left out in the weather for 4 years without a pump in it, but it also had gas in there. Short version is I ended up getting another tank from a parts van one of my techs had, and a new fuel pump, and the old girl cranked right up like it had ran the day before. Of course I did the seafoam treatment, oil and fuel filter change, and put it on the road.

In the past week, here's a list of what's been done:
Took out headache rack because I hate not being able to recline my seat.
Replaced rear door handle (goes without saying every used astro needs at least one door handle.
Replace fuel tank and pump.
Installed Impala SS wheels from craigslist.
Replaced broken windshield.
Installed center console from my old van...this is the third Astro it's been in. It's the large locking box style with flat writing area from Adrian Steel.
Painted ugly grill and put stainless mesh behind it just because I had some.
Installed and hardwired my XM and GPS.

Tonight I scored a set of cloth captains buckets with armrests to replace the vinyl buckets it has now. One of my guys bought a passenger model that had them for the second row. The seats don't appear to have ever been used. They'll be put in tomorrow.

Things yet on the short list to be done sooner than later....AC works when charged, but leaks off overnight. Need new tires for the craigslist wheels. Paint the front bumper cover. GOT to get a head unit to replace the factory cassette player. Chase an intermittent miss on cylinder 3. I'm betting the poppet is sticking, but may be poor plugs/wires.

98 Cargo, making me money daily.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodMotorsports
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: WoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodMotorsports has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo RWD