Kinda New

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Kinda New

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 19th 2017, 5:14am

Hey there internet -

Made a profile to ask a question a while ago, forgot the login info, and haven't attempted to login since. But now I'm back! Since then I've been lurking and learning (started with zero car knowledge) and just generally spending a crapton of time on the site. I feel like I ought to at least acknowledge how huge of a help this forum has been.

Background is I'm a college senior who bought a 97 Safari AWD with 118k off some guy in NH for $1000 in June, thinking it was in pretty good condition and I could use it as a work van and to do some roadtrips in. I initially put a bunch of time into it, changing engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant, p/s fluid, brake fluid, brakes, battery, air filters and some other stuff.

Then decided to take it to Nova Scotia, but had to fix a bunch more before leaving in August like cap/rotor, coil, plugs/wires, water pump, alternator, exhaust flanges/gaskets, front pass hub, idler/tensioner pulleys, and plenty of other stuff with my neighbor. I also gutted the back of the van, insulated, and put in a floor - the goal is eventually to have a modular camper system where it can transform from work van to camper pretty easily. Trip went great, except for needing a new fuel pump in a pretty middle-of-nowhere place in Southeastern NS.

Unfortunately, it's got a spooky misfire, roaring rear end, and no reverse now. So, I've been spending lots of time researching all this stuff and am planning to drop and rebuild my tranny, troubleshoot the misfire until I find it, and then rebuild the rear end with a limited slip diff when it gets warmer out (if I have the money that is). Plus hopefully lift it 2" and put on 235/75/15s on at the same time.

I really like the van, and just feel like I have enough time and money into it now that I'm committed for the somewhat longhaul, so I'm trying to learn all I can to make the repairs affordable! It's been a pretty cool experience so far coming from a place of zero knowledge, though stressful at times.

I'll try to find as much as I can using the search or on Google, but forgive me if can't find the answers and am looking for some already answered questions sometime - I know forum peeps usually don't like that. :banana:

Anyways, that's a bit about me - instead of studying for finals the past week I've been studying how to rebuild the 4l60e, just hope it goes well when I end up doing it!
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Kinda New

Postby 1lowcab » December 19th 2017, 5:25am

Welcome (back) to the forums! Always remember, we like lots of pics!!!
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 19th 2017, 5:36am

I'm finding that uploading pictures to this site is about as difficult as learning how to work on cars.

But really, the avatar pic took like 30 minutes to figure out how to get it within the 100x100 pixel requirement lol

Below is another picture (in the link) couldn't figure out how to just put a picture in there though
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years

Postby 1lowcab » December 19th 2017, 5:40am

There ya go!!
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1lowcab » December 19th 2017, 5:42am

Just click on the Img button on that top row and put this
gallery/image.php?album_id=10353&image_id=83937&display=popup

Between this
[img]put-that-link-here[/img]
1lowcab
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 19th 2017, 5:56am

Boss.

I'm way more technically challenged than a millennial should be.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby Astrofarian » December 19th 2017, 5:57am

Hey Bloop, welcome (back ?) to the forum. As for your statement about "forum people", you'll find most all of the members here to be pretty easy-going about answering an "already asked and answered" question.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!
Are you located in Canada, by chance?
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Big_kid » December 19th 2017, 7:59am

Trans rebuild- seen this thread yet? I bookmarked it years ago. I ended up getting a used transmission when mine went out, I may or may not eventually rebuild the one I took out.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14862#p381026

Welcome aboard!
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 19th 2017, 3:15pm

Astrofarian wrote:Are you located in Canada, by chance?
-M!ke-

Thanks Astrofarian, and nope - I'm in Massachusetts, if I can figure out how to update that on my profile I will.

Also, Big Kid, the Hiram G videos definitely are helpful, but there'a a waaaay more in depth series on the 4l60e by 'Transmission Bench' on youtube that I just finished up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK84Qy_Vu_E - I'm going to use them both when I rebuild. Right now I'm just putting together a tool list/part list I need so I can just focus on the rebuild when it comes around.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby Leeann_93 » December 20th 2017, 1:17am

Oh, so you're a Masshole, then!

;)

I kinda hate videos; I like text and photos better, so this is what I follow:
http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERepairs.html

(I was born in Boston but raised in CT 5 miles from the border, so I'm not really, completely a Masshole....)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby markmitch » December 20th 2017, 2:40am

welcome to the forum, I was born in Maine raised in Beverly msaa till the age of 12 then moved back to Maine and now live in Ca.
I rebuilt my 700R4 and got a manual from this place great and very helpful book to have when rebuilding a transmission.
https://www.themotorbookstore.com

Type this in for your transmission once you get to the site:
GM THM 4L60-E Transmission Rebuild Repair Manual: 1993-2012 Trucks, Vans, Cars
Item #ATGM-THM-4L60-E
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 21st 2017, 5:28am

That's a great one too Leeann, I've been using that in conjunction with the videos to make sense of it all.

Mark, I've already got that book in the "saved for later" on Amazon - it's a bit cheaper there!
Also, funny coincidence, I live in Bevtown lol.

I actually found a rebuild tranny on cl that's pretty cheap, I'm tempted to just go with that if it will work - not sure yet though as it's from a 2000 though - going to ask advice on the tranny forum.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby AstroWill » December 21st 2017, 6:19am

Welcome back!
SportsBoy wrote:Unfortunately, it's got a spooky misfire,

If you have done a full tuneup, make sure to check the distributor drive gear. https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... or-disease
I would grab the GM Techline eSI while you are there as well. AKA Factory Service Manual(in digital format).
SportsBoy wrote:roaring rear end,

Check the fluid.
SportsBoy wrote:and no reverse now.

With only around 100k, I would probably replace the likely broken sunshell and call it good if everything else checks out. http://amzn.to/2BHf0ew This had to be done on my 98 about 2years after I sold it.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 21st 2017, 6:31am

Thanks for that link Will! I had no clue that could be the cause.

Fluid was all good in the rear after it started getting noticeably louder a couple months ago. Haven't really driven it since then so I'd assume it hasn't changed. Also, 2 different shops and my mechanic neighbor told me I need to rebuild or replace the rear.

And yeah, I figured it was the sunshell after doing research, especially because it made some really scary crunching metal sounds around the time reverse was lost. I'm hoping to have the van for a while though, so while I'm in there I'm figuring I might as well do it right.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 27th 2017, 6:00pm

Update - might be buying a rebuilt tranny to pop in, then the real work begins.

Sent in some oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis a while ago and got the results - 84297

Based on it being a common problem with this engine, I'm guessing they are right that it's the intake manifolds - I was also told when I got the van checked out a month ago that there was some coolant hanging around the back of the oil pan. Was hoping it was just leftover from a leaky water pump a few months ago, but this makes sense.

Been doing a lot of research, and thinking I'm going to do the job myself - and do a bunch of other preventative stuff while I'm in there.

Then, hopefully, early summerish I'll do the rearend and a small lift - and all the suspension upgrades I feel like doing with that.

I feel like when that's over I'll have a new van!
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby TurnNburn » December 27th 2017, 6:07pm

Whoa, freaky, I thought that letter was addressed to me...

Sucks to hear about the oil sample. I have used Blackstone for years (never on the astro) and have liked everything about the experience.

LIM's aren't that bad. There are some good threads on it on the forum. Just go step by step and expect it to take a full day if you aren't mechanically savvy and/or you don't have the right tools.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Mmusicman » December 27th 2017, 6:58pm

AstroWill wrote:If you have done a full tuneup, make sure to check the distributor drive gear. https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... or-disease

^^ Don't forget this! Common problem, lots of people have fixed. Not just the pancake distributors either.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350